• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Single reed tuning block

Squeezy1

Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering where I can get plans to make a single reed tuning block to go on top of my tuning box if that makes sense

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming that your current tuning block has a large hole to put a half-accordion on you can use wooden cover for that hole with a small single-reed hole in it. You can create a seal using either foam or leather.

Ventura

Reaction score
an old friend of mine, Walter, whittled several wooden reed holders with
very clever and well fitting sliding panels so that many different width and length
size reeds could be held nicely and worked on comfortably

i suppose one could start with some tongue in groove pieces of wooden molding
and cobble something similar.. it just has to be thick enough to allow full reed flexing

the nicely crafted Tuning bench at FisItalia uses a similar holder but it is
finely machined metal and the sliding plates are tightened by sensors and air pressure servos

sorry, no plans here, just memories

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Squeezy1,
Here's Dennis for those who don't know him 🙂
A friend has a stand-alone unit he made himself, using recycled accordion bellows and operated with a foot pedal, leaving both hands free for working on the reeds and reed blocks

Last edited:

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Squeezy1,
Here's Dennis for those who don't know him 🙂
A friend has a stand-alone unit he made himself, using recycled accordion bellows and operated with a foot pedal, leaving both hands free for working on the reeds and reed blocks
What a nice demonstration of how to completely ruin reeds and be left with reeds that are also out of tune. This demo is exactly what you should NEVER do!!!
The contraption is nice for testing whether reeds are functioning properly, whether the voicing is ok, the reeds are centered, the valves are opening and closing properly, etc. But whether a reed is tuned correctly can only be measured with the reed blocks inside the accordion. And then the tuning itself needs to be done with files and scratchers. A Dremel (rotary tool) should never be used on reeds (except maybe is a bass reed with a copper or lead additional weight needs to be tuned up quite a bit).
What this contraption is missing completely is a top plate with a large hole, just smaller than the bellows frame, so you can place a half-accordion on it to measure reeds while inside the accordion.

Squeezy1

Reaction score
Yes using a dremel will ruin a reed in no time are there any good reed scratches out there or a kit I can buy still like the single reed jig Thankyou

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes using a dremel will ruin a reed in no time are there any good reed scratches out there or a kit I can buy still like the single reed jig Thankyou
There are different scratchers available from for instance Carini (www.carinidena.it), and they also sell sets of small files (from Vallorbe) of which the pointy circular one also makes for a nice scratcher.