• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sing Us A Song

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxplayer4000

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Sing Us A Song Of Bonnie Scotland.
After about 40 years I’ve revisited this set of (mostly) Scottish ballads. I tried to turn them into marches for use in a dance situation.
The first is called ‘Sing Us A Song Of Bonnie Scotland’. I think it was written c.1913, possibly by Scott Bennett. It was sung by Sir Harry Lauder and would have been used to lift the spirits of the soldiers in the 1st. World War. It was particularly poignant for Lauder since he lost a son in that conflict.
The second is simply in praise of the Galloway Hills I think which are of course in south-west Scotland.
The 3rd is ‘Willie’s Ga’en Tae Melville Castle’. Melville Castle is a couple of miles from my home and was originally a baronial home but in recent years has existed as a hotel. (I have been allowed in in a musical capacity over the years). The song is about a local callant (Willie) visiting the caste to say farewell to the four daughter’s of the occupant at that time. Obviously keeping his options open with all four. Willie was going off somewhere, probably to war. It was what they did in those days to banish the boredom.
The 4th is a song simply hoping that a fishing boat has a successful, trouble-free trip and will return safely. I associate this tune with south-east coast Scotland or north-east (Tyneside) coast, England.

Attachments

• SingUsASong.jpeg
    SingUsASong.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 6
  • MelvilleCastle.jpg
    MelvilleCastle.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back