• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Sight reading training app with Roland V-accordion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acon

Reaction score
I am such a terrible score sight reader so I always want to improve it with a systematic and efficient way.

I remember using some computer software to train my English blind typing about 20 years ago. These are just like games with the letters or words running on the screen and you have to hit the right keys in right sequences before they disappear. The software tells you how fast and how accurate you type.

I was thinking that it would be amazing if there is any software that can help music sight reading in a similar way. And I found it yesterday! Its called Jalmus, originally designed to help musician and music learner. Please check the video:

It stopped updating in 2013, but you can still download it here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jalmus/files/
(Its a jar file. Just double click it to install.)

The input must be a midi keyboard. I tried it with my Korg nanoKEY2 and seems no problem. I wonder if one can use Roland V-accordion with it to train the blind sight reading? {}

I would buy a V-accordion if it works!!

And please dont hesitate to tell us if you have any alternative solution! :)

Acon said:
I wonder if one can use Roland V-accordion with it to train the blind sight reading?
I would buy a V-accordion if it works!!

I dont know why it would not work, the V-accordion has MIDI in and out sockets. The harder part would be to have a MIDI port on the computer... I use the M-Audio Minisport UNO USB to MIDI connector, they are cheap and effective.

Thanks artelagro, that one is good but I am looking for something that can react and have feedback with accordions in real time, which will be more helpful for real improvement in practice.

So JerryPH did you try your V-accordion with the Jalmus? Did it work?

Just found another cool app on Google Play called Sight Reading Trainer (really straightforward name).
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...r&rdid=com.timothydijamco.sightreadingtrainer

I tried it with my PIGINI and it worked very well. Its even more ideal because it used pitch recognization technology so I guess you can use any acoustic instrument on in. Unfortunately it only provides single note test for a single hand. No chord or interval test. No test for both hands.

Acon said:
So JerryPH did you try your V-accordion with the Jalmus? Did it work?
Oh, I did not think you wanted me to test it out, I was talking theoretical (this MIDI stuff is not all that complex). If you want me to try it out, I might be able to do that tomorrow, depending on how busy things get.

Let me know. :)

Jerry,

Yes I think you are the best candidate in this forum I can think of to test this software. :D
Please do the test for me, but only when you really have the time.

Thank you. Super appreciate it! :tup:

Acon

Hi Acon,
What makes you think that this software will be much use to train sight reading?
It looks no better than pulling some lead sheets from the Internet and playing them at sight.

What aspect of sight reading is giving you the most issues?
Is it single melody lines, rhythm and timing or chord shapes with multiple notes? These sight reading skills probably require different approaches.

Glenn said:
Hi Acon,
What makes you think that this software will be much use to train sight reading?
It looks no better than pulling some lead sheets from the Internet and playing them at sight.

What aspect of sight reading is giving you the most issues?
Is it single melody lines, rhythm and timing or chord shapes with multiple notes? These sight reading skills probably require different approaches.

Well, my issues are actually about...everything I guess :oops: .

Ok I guess I know what you mean and I was not to over-simplify the sight reading to a mechanical reflex like typing. I just didnt tell the whole story. My previous piano teacher is a professional pianist and he is super good at sight reading and can sight play basically anything (watching him sight playing is just like watching a midi playing software: super precise notes, rhythm, timing and expression as the sheet music say). He told me not to be fooled by his skills. He said sight-reading level is a combined result of your familiarity with the key scales, arpeggios, chord progression and fingering patterns and every aspect of music theory in that piece of music. So he said he doesnt have to read them note by note, instead he reads the sheet like an article in native language; his brain automatically recognizes any necessary information and meaning with the built-in grammar and vocabulary databases, and his hands just reflect his understanding of the articles.

I dont know if I got it right but this is what sight-reading means to me. Please correct me if I am wrong. I know basic music theory but I am trying to learn it in a more serious way, e.g. to memorize every Major, minor, diminished and augmented chords and their progression/fingering in my accordion in every key signature. Its a huge task to accomplish and I dont expect any quick improvement in any short time. But in the meanwhile I am also interested that if there is any other way or aspect of the training of sight-reading that can assist this process. I am already 40 yrs now so I need not only to practice hard but also to practice smart. The Jalmus is a new and fun game for me so I would give it a try.

And I want to give me an excuse to buy a Roland V-accordion. :lol:

You don't need an excuse to buy a V-accordion... if you want one, get one.

It is a totally different world, I promise. Not everyone likes it, and it does take a sacrifice. It is a give and take issue. The accordion feel is not as good, primarily the keyboard and bass buttons are slower and differently spaced, but the things you can do with it, you cannot even come close to on an acoustic, not even with a great acoustic with MIDI and the best modules on the market.

If you are looking for an electrical acoustic replacement... stay away. If you want a mobile entertainment center that can simulate thousands of sounds, hundreds of accordions, hundreds of different drum effects and you want the pinnacle of a device for general entertainment, you want a V-accordion.

If you are looking for a practice MIDI keyboard, save your money, get MIDI installed on a good accordion, you will be happier and save a lot of money. If you want the latest state of the art digital accordion and all that it brings, then you want the Roland.

Hi Acon.
I think your piano teacher's description of sight reading is very good. I bet if he was given a load of random notes and rhythms he'd have serious problems playing it as it had no structure which he can read from his experience. It is experience that allows for god sight reading. Sort of "seen it before" intuition.

Glenn I think it wouldn't be too hard for him. My teacher is not just a well-trained musician but also an incredibly quick gamer with naturally developed perfect pitch in his ears.

We students tested him with many kinds of sight-reading and ear training stuff and he never failed.

Kind of a human robot.

Theres another sight reading app call Musical Space Invaders. Best interface Ive seen so far:

I tried it with my midi keyboard with no issue. Anybody interested can download and try it here:
https://github.com/dbagno/Musical-Space-Invaders

Oh Jerry, please try it for me!! :|

Jalmus works fine right hand and freebass with an FR-1Xb and a usb link to a pc.

Musical Space Invaders works great also, on both sides. I like the chords.

Acon said:
Oh Jerry, please try it for me!! :|

As soon as I can find even a spare 15 minutes, Im yours... but be patient, my life has gone a bit uphill, and that means that even my leisure time is short. :)

Take your time Jerry. Seems Pat's test result is promising!! Woohoo!!

I would have thought a roland would only need switching on and would then be able to use its 'artificial inteligence' to play without the need for anybody to sight read or even play the bugger! i.e. swith on and go anad put the kettle on while it plays the tunes allby itself

george :evil: ;)

You still have a lot to learn George :)

It does! It's called DEMO mode... press and hold the 2 SET buttons for 2 seconds and off it goes all by itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back