• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Shoulder straps? Who needs ’em?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
It seems there’s a bunch of old-school Portuguese accordionist who have no use for shoulder straps,
like this guy!<EMOJI seq=1f642>?</EMOJI><EMOJI seq=1f44d>?</EMOJI>

Personal choice, but he looks as if he's being eaten by his accordion ! Perhaps his seated position gives him enough support.
I'll keep my straps !

The Italian virtuoso, Wolmer Beltrami, was one of several in his day who also never used shoulder straps.

Some players use the right strap only, some use both but place the right strap across their upper arm, and not their shoulder.

Some older Belgian players use a detachable harness that clips onto the accordion.

Accordion stands which permit playing standing up with no straps are popular in Italy.

When you are my build, Big accordion=two straps, Wee accordion=right strap only. I find that with experience I no longer need shoulder straps when I'm playing the harmonica, but everybody seems to have their own preference.

Best option is to get all the books that tell us there is only way with all things accordion and throw them in the fire. Only problem is I'm waiting for somebody to write a book that tells you the correct way to light a fire!

Red traffic lights mean stop (but not everywhere). In Greece they mean stop "only if it is safe to do so" . If the driver of the 38 tonne lorry behind you is arguing with his girlfriend on his phone and accelerating towards the lights at 100kph, better risking a 750 Euro fine as trying to claim thousands back in hospital fees.

The problem with an accordion stand is it leaves you with no freedom of movement and could make a performance look wooden.

Diatonics are often played with one strap only though I haven't seen anyone play a chromatic that way. I hadn't even thought of trying it with the wee accordion !

Nice comical use of an extremely valuable accordion :roll:

Corsaire post_id=65633 time=1547201970 user_id=2107 said:
The problem with an accordion stand is it leaves you with no freedom of movement and could make a performance look wooden.

Diatonics are often played with one strap only though I havent seen anyone play a chromatic that way. I hadnt even thought of trying it with the wee accordion !

Forgot about Jimmy Giordanengo. Ill award him half a strap for that one. (Cava digit box)

Sound quality spoiled by squeaky chair and basses up a bit too high, but you get great sounds from those Cava digis.

Yup! I prefer to use straps and a back strap for my large accordion. Im an amateur, but I have a stand because I find it difficult to stand up and play even for an hour. I know if I were to do a 3 hour show it would be impossible. I also have lighter accordions. I disagree that using a stand is restrictive and makes you look wooden. Check out Giorgio in this video. He is way into it. He generally brings his large accordion on the stand and a smaller one for strolling.

Yes, I'd seen that before in Portuguese videos. It makes it a bit like playing a huge concertina. To adapt a phrase from Dr Samuel Johnson, "it can be done, but why!" I guess it might be more comfortable in very hot weather, :? or if the accordion is being passed from person to person in a very informal way. :?

We need some accordeonistas Portugueses on this forum! :D

Shoulder straps? Just use your right thumb like they do with the organetto bolognese in Bologna.

Never saw Marco Marcheselli with shiny shoulders yet! The dancers doing the polka chinata will probably need their knees strapped up when theyre my age though! That dance was invented in Bologna and is unique to the Filuzzi repertoire there. Apparently post WW2 there was a shortage of women in the Bologna region, and the men devised this dance to show off to the few ladies who attended the dance halls. It was deemed that the acrobatic movement required was unsuitable for female participation. With all those unstrapped organettos and men dancing themselves dizzy then maybe the women were wise to make themselves scarce.

Emile Vacher, creator of the French musette genre, only played with a right strap across his arm like Jimmy G in the previous clip.

Mind you in those days men were men and French musette tuning was ……………., well it just was!

I believe when the players started to earn more by recording than by playing live they had to water it down a bit, as the old stylus probably needed changing before each track finished.

Accordionists old enough to remember those days said the old tuning sounded better if the accordion was played outside. Im not sure if they meant outside of France by that remark.

JeffJetton said:
Corsaire said:
I dont know... drummers and pianists are also playing fixed instruments. Certainly plenty of freedom of movement there nonetheless. :b
:lol:
Seriously, I like to move around when Im playing - it keeps the back muscles from seizing up !! But on a stage its more restrictive and I have to keep my antics for playing outside in the fresh air.

John - I much prefer playing al fresco but not if its windy ! St Malo is a great place to play outside - the narrow streets and stone buildings are great for the accoustics.

The Corsican player, Bruno Lorenzoni, gave an interview on French TV, and told would be players that musette tuned accordions were meant to be played outside at galas and village fetes. He also commented that they would suffice if nothing else was available until the player was able to afford a better accordion.

Now, I never told him to say any of that, it just so happens I tend to agree with him, and he being a top pro could get away with saying it on TV. No doubt he was up for assassination by the "musette pur" exponents. He died in 2017, but I don't think a bullet got him.

Great player, even if his comb over was as subtle as Trump's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back