• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Scandalli XIV 120 bass note problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikeaccordion

I Have just taken delivery of a Scandalli XIV, hard plastic packing had been placed under the bass buttons and when I received it one of the buttons had been depressed and locked down behind the faceplate, I managed to free it but the button still sounds continually, I pulled it up and it was silent for a while but gradually returned
any suggestions
Mike

That's bad luck. I thought the plastic packing under the bass notes should have avoided that happening due to the whole package receiving a shock.
If it has gradually returned (whatever you mean) then it has fixed itself or are you afraid there is some permanent damage?

Thats a b*tch, Mike. Nice instrument - Mod xiv M?
Must have been second hand private sale or you'd be returning it to the dealer? I suspect if it falls back in gradually maybe the pins on the rod have bent a bit. JimD will provide the best guess, I'm sure. Strange & lucky it's just one. Is it on the outside of the 120? A clear pic with of the bass mech would be a help - Jim almost for sure ask for one.

Hi Mike; The button that is giving you a problem is on top of a rod called a piston. These pistons have pins that will depress a connecting rod to open a valve. It sounds to me like you have a rod that has jumped a pin. A picture of your bass machine will reveal the problem. Musically yours; JIM

Í will do a photo see if that helps
It was bought from a dealer 2nd hand but I suppose the packaging was done in good faith it was in its case and normally the bass piston s would not touch anything
but the hard packaging was the problem the dealer is 120 miles away and I really like the sound II did consider sending it back but ts obviously a minor thing when it arrived a week late due to incompetant courier I couldn't wait to play it I took it out and was met with the noise and saw what the cause was and was really peed off haven't had time for a long look and I don't want to make things worse

Makes you wonder whether it would have been worth the 120 mile round trip, if only for the scenery.

Glenn said:
Makes you wonder whether it would have been worth the 120 mile round trip, if only for the scenery.

....except 120 miles away is a 240 mile round trip...

mikeaccordion said:
Í will do a photo see if that helps
It was bought from a dealer 2nd hand but I suppose the packaging was done in good faith it was in its case and normally the bass piston s would not touch anything
but the hard packaging was the problem the dealer is 120 miles away and I really like the sound II did consider sending it back but ts obviously a minor thing when it arrived a week late due to incompetant courier I couldnt wait to play it I took it out and was met with the noise and saw what the cause was and was really peed off havent had time for a long look and I dont want to make things worse

If a simple fix you wont want the hassle of an argument & return .... but if it was his courier its the dealers responsibility to get it to you undamaged. And his reponsibility to collect it, fix it and return it to you in the condition you agreed to buy it in. Unless he said it was collection only? Or it was your courier?

Attachments

• Hohner_Akkordeon_Modelle_06_2006.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 33
Hi Mike; Don't be to upset with your bass problem. A rod that has slipped a pin is really a simple fix. JIM D.

JIM D. said:
Hi Mike; Dont be to upset with your bass problem. A rod that has slipped a pin is really a simple fix. JIM D.
Hi JimD How are you?
I was merely pointing out his rights in the event it wasnt that/easy ...or he didnt fancy it - not trying to scare him. :)

Thanks everyone
My fjrst thought was send it back when the initial disappointment hit I am sure you would all feel the same when a new box arrives and you can not play
8 did email the shop and they sent me a photo of how the mechanism should look and some advice
Yes the hassle of sending it back etc did put me off I would sooner get it sorted and then look at restoration work on the case to get it like new
Missing rhinestones etc. Would rather not have the rhinestones I did see ref to a chap in Falkirk who supplies parts perhaps he has rhinestones
Mike

charlie marshall is helpful and seems to have it all - for me just found it confusing navigating around his website due my lack of terminology terms etc

Good news last night I found the small spring that had moved out of place and was not returning the button all the way everything works fine now thanks for all your suggestions and reassurances
Mike

Great! you could also try ebay for rhinestones. If it's the JD one, I thought it looked a bargain when I noticed it a couple of months ago.
Well done, Mike.

yes it is the JD one as you say it was a bargain just seen the post about what appears to be an identical instrument

mikeaccordion said:
yes it is the JD one as you say it was a bargain just seen the post about what appears to be an identical instrument
Yep, and the later style ones are LOADS more money. Great buy. Id have had a pop my self but Ive aleardy got 2 pristine 120 basses, one of which is a nice LMMM - so no advantage in buying another... but still struggled to avoid what appeared to be a great buy.

I would also like to do some cosmetic improvement where there is a jack socket not connected to anything which needs removing and the hole covering and any other blemishes

May be worth leaving the jack socket there - you may wish to mic it in the future.

There are a number of rhinestones missing. Are they just stuck on or. Do they fit into a hole where is the best place to buy them

50% of my Accordion service consists of total rebuiding of fine classic accordion models. These rebuilds consist of restoring the - bellows,- reeds, key,button,& shift machines and cosmetic appearance. Some of these models have some of the original rhinestones missing and require replacement. I find the stones and application tool from a craft supply house here in the US. In the UK you have places like --www.hotfixcraft.co.uk -- that offer the same product. Musically yours; JIM D. ---P.S. You can also find custom lettering for customers names, replacing original brand names,and items for covering holes left when removing old electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back