• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Scandalli Super VI Advice Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greenpug

Hi there,

Brand new and first post so I hope that this is an ok place to post/ask about this topic!

Basically, I have come to be in possession of my great uncles Scandalli Super VI piano accordion and am in the process of finding out information about it and what to do next. I dont really know anything about accordions besides what i have read and looked up here and there on the web the past couple of weeks.

From what I can gather Scandalli is a good Italian brand and the Super VI a good model. I also believe that my uncle paid a hefty amount for this particular instrument but i couldnt be sure when that was (maybe 25-30 years ago at a guess).
I believe he kept it in good playing condition but stopped playing in later years due to the size/weight combined with failing health. I will try and upload a few pics if i can figure out how in a mo!

I have plans to take it to a music shop to get a valuation done on it but wont be able to make the trip for several weeks at the least. Basically, Im asking anyone who knows anything about accordions, and particularly this model, if they can help me out and give me a clue as to what i have on my hands. From what my research has shown me some instruments are worth a lot but more often they arent worth much at all.

As said, it seems to be in good condition, I cant comment on the playing condition as I would only make a lot of racket if i tried to play it! It is full size keyboard with 120 bass buttons. Im guessing the switches above the keys are the treble registers? There are 11 in any case, and 6 above the buttons. There is a small marker on one of the buttons (Im guessing this is a modification made to mark button positions?).

I know this is very vague and I am a complete accordion dunce but any assistance at all would really be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Paul

(Sorry for the long post!!!)

http://imageshack.com/a/img912/790/hfzZnq.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img912/4906/Zmvwtx.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img908/6072/1PjEY8.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/3605/Nd7v5X.jpg

Hi Greenpug & welcome to the forum.
1st the good news - Scandalli is a great make and the Super VI is a top of the line instrument... BUT..
They've been made since the 1950s so there are some more sought after than others. Your's is a 1970s model and is one of the less sought after models, but still a good accordion.
Value will depend much on work required to bring it up to playable spec after storage.

Then there is 2 versions of this 1970s model range, one lesser that was more plasticky (but can't remember the detail, but visually identical...) than the other.

I have seen the plasticky one sold at £1200 with an honest description, but then an attempted resale at more, less candidly described.

The better of the 2 versions in good playable condition is (arguably) c. £2k, and I'm sure you may find examples for sale for a lot more... but I think you'll struggle to see them sold for that money. The pinned (ie not screwed) grill versions before and after this '70s model are £3-5k... and more. There are even more valuable variants... but little relevance to you, as this is clearly not one of those.

Good luck.

Ed your right on with this one. You've been doing some homework. :tup:

JIM D. said:
Ed your right on with this one. Youve been doing some homework. :tup:
I had a good mentor... Jim :tup: :geek:

Which dealer/shop are you going to for an assessment? Where are you based Greenpug?

When you say "plasticky" are you referring to the inside of the accordion being more made of plastic rather than wood?

The early Super VI's had wood cases and frames and contained excellent and intricate bass machines and shifts. After the 70's they had good but simple bass machines and much of the body parts were of molded plastic. Comparing older Super VI's and newer VI's is like comparing apples to oranges.
But please don't think I'm damming the newer models - if bought for the right price, they are a fine box.

Thanks for the reply, that was good to read.

I'm based in Taunton in Somerset so realistically I'm limited to the South West. I was planning on taking it to the Bristol branch of Hobgoblin as there is a chap there who is apparently interested in this area of instruments.

Any suggestions from you guys as to people or shops who may be interested or able to offer advice would be welcomed. I feel somewhat limited by the end of the country that I live in but no real helping that!

Thanks again!

You could try Accordions South West, http://www.squeezydoesit.com . Hes in Devon, a member on here, a good player, a dealer, teacher and technician, good reputation - he knows his onions.
Les recently had a family matter occupying him so if you dont get an immediate response, cut him some slack (no connection, just a coincidence that I know).

Ok thanks thats great, I'll ping off an email to him in a bit! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back