• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

scandalli polifonico

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wout

Helli! I think I Just made a bargain. Bought a polifonico x for 750 euro's! I'm very happy with it and shall post some pictures later! I think it gas either tipo a mano or a mano reeds by the look of it. It's in beautiful mint condition.

Wout

wout said:
Helli! I think I Just made a bargain. Bought a polifonico x for 750 euros! Im very happy with it and shall post some pictures later! I think it gas either tipo a mano or a mano reeds by the look of it. Its in beautiful mint condition.

Wout
Congrats. Depending on the age and condition that may be a bargain or not, but even if it needs some work 750 euro is not unreasonable. Not completely a steal (like Morne finding a Morino VI M in good condition for 450 dollars) but potentially a good deal.

By the looks of It it is a quite new instrument. Looks almost brandnew. But ill post some pics when i get home :)

wout said:
By the looks of It it is a quite new instrument. Looks almost brandnew. But ill post some pics when i get home :)
Im not saying that your accordion is in good or bad condition, but honestly, exterior looks mean very little. The true value of an accordion is where you cannot see it, on the inside. Its all about the condition of the reeds, valves and mechanics and the tune. :)

Pics are coming right now from the inside and outside :)

Here they are, had to charge the camera :roll:

Attachments

• SAM_0689.JPG
    SAM_0689.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 1,340
  • SAM_0692.JPG
    SAM_0692.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 1,340
  • SAM_0693.JPG
    SAM_0693.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 1,339
  • SAM_0695.JPG
    SAM_0695.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 1,340
  • SAM_0696.JPG
    SAM_0696.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,339
Looks good. Certainly not a recent instrument (all leather valves are rare nowadays) and signs of quite a bit of tuning done over the years.
750 euro for a 5 reed instrument, both left and right is not a bad deal at all.

Any idea from aprox. what year it could be?

A great find !!
Definitely low mileage - hand fitted reeds - look originally tuned when new - and those leather valves are a plus.
A late 70's and in my shop, would look to fetch $2000.00+ USD

Wow! Thats great news! However i did encounter a tiny problem. 2 of the double musette reeds vibrate to fast. At least i think It's the double musette reeds. It's A and B right next To eachother and only when i pull. I can make a recording tomorrow. Could this be dust? This is a bit to mich of a good instrument for me to experiment so if any of You has an easy solution then ill do it myself but otherwise ill bring it to the repairman

Lovely accordion!

The thing that I *think* you are referring to is the tremolo. Yes, it could be nothing more than dust or lack of being played, but it could also be a tuning or if across many notes, a hardware issue. I'd play the accordion regularly for a week or two and see if it gets any better. If not, try the cleaning out of the reeds and if that doesn't help, it may go to the next level.

Your recording will help the experts (not me... haha), here make a better determination! :)

Thanks! Yes i mean the violin setting. It's just 2 notes the middle a and b :) playing it alot Will be no problem xD hope that helps. Ill just post a small recording tomorrow

wout said:
Wow! Thats great news! However i did encounter a tiny problem. 2 of the double musette reeds vibrate to fast. At least i think Its the double musette reeds. Its A and B right next To eachother and only when i pull. I can make a recording tomorrow. Could this be dust? This is a bit to mich of a good instrument for me to experiment so if any of You has an easy solution then ill do it myself but otherwise ill bring it to the repairman
If it is not horrible but just vibrating faster than the notes around it then it is a matter of tuning. Bringing it to the repairman is a very good idea! He can determine whether it is a matter of valves or of tuning the reeds.

I do think I am going to do that! With alot of playing it's less now but it is still there and it is really annoying me with the tiple musette because it sounds kind of detuned. But hey, thats the only thing thats wrong! :D

Its a valve or dirty tongue issue -- not a serious problem, but can be concerning with your play.
The correction is not a problem for an accordion tech and takes a simple matter of opening the box and blowing out the reed or resetting a valve. If you care visit --- http://www.accordionrevival.com/--
to open your box and to find the reed or reed valves.
You also might aggressively playing the offending note with bellows pressure to blow out a stuck reed tongue.
You have a quality box but you must understand that it is a machine and
as all machines do not have a sense of humor.
Like the gent that buys an expensive Rolls and half way home has a flat and walk the the rest of the way back home because he cant replace a spare.
You have a nice box here, bought it well, and be patient with it. :tup:

alright Jim! I tend to be a little impatient sometimes xD. I'll just follow your advise :)

Hello! So I have played it for a while and still the same problem :( I have also found another little weird thing that I can't really place. The upper A of my bassoon reed changes frequency when I pull.
I have added 2 recordings, one is the musette/violin reed (I think it's just detuned) and the second the bassoon. Any idea what the cause could be for the bassoon? Perhaps a leather valve that doesnt close properly?

Wout

Attachments

• bassoon.mp3
    332.9 KB · Views: 37
  • musette.mp3
    329 KB · Views: 33
wout said:
Hello! So I have played it for a while and still the same problem :( I have also found another little weird thing that I cant really place. The upper A of my bassoon reed changes frequency when I pull.
I have added 2 recordings, one is the musette/violin reed (I think its just detuned) and the second the bassoon. Any idea what the cause could be for the bassoon? Perhaps a leather valve that doesnt close properly?

First one just sounds out of tune. The second one is definitely out of tune. I am wondering if you understand how this works? For every note, there are 2 reeds, one activates with a push, the other activates with a pull. If one sounds good and the other does not, it is 1 of the 2 reeds is the one that has an issue.

Now, the sound you post could be simply a dirty reed thanks to dirt/dust, however it could also be a defective valve or a defective reed.

wout said:
Hello! So I have played it for a while and still the same problem :( I have also found another little weird thing that I cant really place. The upper A of my bassoon reed changes frequency when I pull.
I have added 2 recordings, one is the musette/violin reed (I think its just detuned) and the second the bassoon. Any idea what the cause could be for the bassoon? Perhaps a leather valve that doesnt close properly?

First one just sounds out of tune. The second one is definitely out of tune. I am wondering if you understand how this works? For every note, there are 2 reeds, one activates with a push, the other activates with a pull. If one sounds good and the other does not, it is 1 of the 2 reeds is the one that has an issue.

Now, the sound you post could be simply a dirty reed thanks to dirt/dust, however it could also be a defective valve or a defective reed.[/quote]
First one sounds out of tune indeed but in addition to that when just one reed plays it is sharper the second time (pushing I believe). This may be an issue of the reed not fitting 100%. I repaired one the other day: slight sanding around the reed and the difference between push and pull went away. Only after that consider tuning.
The bassoon reed has a similar problem bit its frequency does not seem 100% stable. Again, sand around the reed, but also check whether it is straight, not pushed in near the base. I fixed a reed like that as well: it had been pushed during tuning (during lowering pitch). Only very low (large) reeds are allowed to drop their frequency a bit depending on volume, and it seems to be a bit more of an issue in (Russian) bayans than in (Italian) accordions.

THanks for the advice! Yes jerry I am aware how it works, that is why I pushed to show how the tuned reed sounds and pulled with the wrong sounding reeds. I know it could be dirt but they are really clean. The curious thing is that it is only 2 of the detuned clarinet reeds and 1 of the bassoon reeds doing this when I pull. The rest of the accordion is in tune with no problems at all. So Paul thanks for the advice that sounds like it could be the problem!

Wout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back