• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sarabande - G. F. Handel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgavrilov

Reaction score

Hello! Sarabande by G. F. Handel is my first attempt at interpreting a piece from the Baroque period on a Stradella bass accordion. It has two variations, the second of which is a bass solo. I have never played a piece like this before, because I don't have a free bass accordion. Nevertheless, my love for this kind of music is huge, and I had to try with what I have. So please share any suggestions you have :)

Very nicely played. The Stradella bass system limits you to one octave (in each register) and in this piece that is a bit limiting. When you stick to the "heavier" bass registers the octave jump is hidden reasonably well, but in a light register it cannot be hidden.
Please note that the A (bass) at 2:44 and 3:33 should be a G. But only people who really know this piece well will notice.

Thank you, Paul! Yes, the Stradella bass is limiting, my dream is to have a free bass accordion one day. As far as the notes you mention, I think I play the correct one - the G, not the A. :)

For me, the best test is ‘Does it work?’ and, for me, the answer is an enormous ‘Yes.’
Your affection for the music shines through your playing.
The tones you chose work together.
I’m sure that, in time, you will have your Freebass but I expect you know already that accordions always lack at least one feature that you absolutely can not live without!
By the way, Weltmeister accordions in ‘the West’ are often seen to be a little inferior - your playing is a one-man contradiction of that idea.

Looking forward to your next piece.

Dunlustin, thanks a lot for your positive feedback, it is really motivating! I know that Weltmeister accordions don't enjoy a good reputation. Here in Bulgaria we use them, because during the Communist era they were almost the only brand imported in the country, as far as I know. I would say that the mechanical parts like keyboard, springs, etc. are the weak part of the instrument and I had to make some repairs in that aspect, till I was satisfied with the result. The reeds of the Supita model, which I have, are made by Bugari and are high quality (in my opinion). And an interesting thing I noticed, while I was attending a Conservatory concert, is that the Weltmeister accordions had a fuller, more projecting sound, than a Victoria accordion that was played there. It depends on the player also, of course :)

Thank you, Paul! Yes, the Stradella bass is limiting, my dream is to have a free bass accordion one day. As far as the notes you mention, I think I play the correct one - the G, not the A. :)
The sequence is F-E-F-G-A-Bes-C-G-E-G-C-E annd you play F-E-F-G-A-Bes-C-A-E-G-C-E. You do it twice (at 2:44 and 3:33). I know the piece very well. I see your finger press the A and I hear the A.
Happens to the best players that they get so used to a small mistake they don't hear it themselves any more.
But it could also be an error in the score you used... Arrangers, and even composers, make mistakes too.

note.png
Yes, the score I have is from the IMSLP and the sequence written there is the one I play: F-E-F-G-A-Bes-C-A-E-G-C-E. I looked up in some other scores in Google, and the sequence was the same, but there were other scores, in which the sequence was the one you mention it should be. Maybe someone got it wrong once, and then it spread throughout the Internet :D

I would trust this one, which has what I believe is the correct sequence. The chord sequence is F major to C major, meaning 1 to 5, which makes sense. The chord sequence you show is F major to a hint of A minor 7 and then C major, which breaks all rules of harmony that I know. You cannot always trust what you find in print. I am never afraid to change something that doesn't make sense into something else that does.
Publisher Info.Georg Friedrich Händels Werke. Band 2
Leipzig: Deutsche Händelgesellschaft, 1858. Plate H.W. 2.

It's a lesson learned - one should always question the information source, even if it's part ot the IMSLP ?

It's a lesson learned - one should always question the information source, even if it's part ot the IMSLP ?
Indeed. I tend to use a few sources when planning to make an arrangement.
Only when it says "arrangement by Paul De Bra" and also has a recording by "Professor P" can you fully trust it! :):):)

I have now published my own version on YouTube.
I hope you like it.
This of course does not compare to your solo performance as my version is for quartet.

Last edited:
I like it a lot! You play it a little bit faster and it works fine. I could try some changes in the tempo the next time I play it in front of someone :)

Mgavrilov,
A tour de force!?
A good choice.
Well played.
Nice instrument.
Excellent venue.
Very well "shot"!
All good??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back