• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sandy Brechin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He certainly can get a great sound out of that little box of his.
Smooth and controlled with an air of simplicity. Thanks for spotting that.

Ummm no lightning fast stabbettes on the bass button....!?.....just saying :oops: :?

....and not a wrong note either that I can hear......ba****d :lol:

Ha, I'm gathering that's in reference to the bounce in reels thread? Funnily enough thats what reminded me of this :) Wasn't gonna get involved as compared to most I know very little, am mostly self taught and only a few years in, but If I could add my two cents.. I get where your coming from and I used to find that a bit of a pain and prefer the heavier approach as I enjoyed that heavy bass. But from what I've recently started to gather, and this clip illustrated really nicely for me, just keeping in mind the hot button thing helps develop sensitivity over time, so after a while you suddenly find you can play lighter and more rythmically and drop the heavier stabs instinctively where you want with more delicacy and control. I think he has a very light tough on the buttons, thus allowing him to emphasis all those certain notes more, which to me, really works. Like I say its a fairly recent thing I've started to notice in the way I play, (I think seeing this helped me grasp it) the more delicate my fingers get the more I can emphasise where needed and my playing does feel and sound better for it. Bit like you were saying about how ones taste refines after a few years of listening, my ears and fingers suddenly became a bit more sensitive to it at some point, and it seemed to free up my playing a bit and added more depth to my sound. Just my opinion as fellow novice though, hope that doesn't come across wrong as I'm new around here :D I like the cut of your jib sir :ch

Puxto said:
But from what Ive recently started to gather, and this clip illustrated really nicely for me, just keeping in mind the hot button thing helps develop sensitivity over time, so after a while you suddenly find you can play lighter and more rythmically and drop the heavier stabs instinctively where you want with more delicacy and control.
I think he has a very light tough on the buttons, thus allowing him to emphasis all those certain notes more, which to me, really works. Like I say its a fairly recent thing Ive started to notice in the way I play, (I think seeing this helped me grasp it) the more delicate my fingers get the more I can emphasise where needed and my playing does feel and sound better for it.
Bit like you were saying about how ones taste refines after a few years of listening, my ears and fingers suddenly became a bit more sensitive to it at some point, and it seemed to free up my playing a bit and added more depth to my sound. Just my opinion as fellow novice though, hope that doesnt come across wrong as Im new around here :D I like the cut of your jib sir :ch

Well put, and he’s also got the minor chord off the counter-bass trick sussed as well.

I notice that you’re in Exeter by the way...

BobM.

Puxto said:
Ha, Im gathering thats in reference to the bounce in reels thread? Funnily enough thats what reminded me of this :) Wasnt gonna get involved as compared to most I know very little, am mostly self taught and only a few years in, but If I could add my two cents.. I get where your coming from and I used to find that a bit of a pain and prefer the heavier approach as I enjoyed that heavy bass. But from what Ive recently started to gather, and this clip illustrated really nicely for me, just keeping in mind the hot button thing helps develop sensitivity over time, so after a while you suddenly find you can play lighter and more rythmically and drop the heavier stabs instinctively where you want with more delicacy and control. I think he has a very light tough on the buttons, thus allowing him to emphasis all those certain notes more, which to me, really works. Like I say its a fairly recent thing Ive started to notice in the way I play, (I think seeing this helped me grasp it) the more delicate my fingers get the more I can emphasise where needed and my playing does feel and sound better for it. Bit like you were saying about how ones taste refines after a few years of listening, my ears and fingers suddenly became a bit more sensitive to it at some point, and it seemed to free up my playing a bit and added more depth to my sound. Just my opinion as fellow novice though, hope that doesnt come across wrong as Im new around here :D I like the cut of your jib sir :ch

Yes I think that there is a place , definitely, for the red hot button (RHB) but equally ....just I believe that one should just play the flaming machine and find out what it (and you) can do............then all the techniques will come as you try them out and persevere with them.....there is more than one way to skin an ackordeen..... :tup:

CJ

Ha very fair point and well put :p Enjoyment should always be first and foremost, and yeah like I say I've never been strict on it, but came to understand and recognise what they were getting at over time, and yes that has started developing naturally for me through enjoying the thing, so it sounds like you have the right idea in my book. I'm a big believer In finding and developing your own way, Hendrix played guitar completely wrong for example. Of course we cant all be quite that gifted but if I sound ok by my own standards I'm happy :D Also in trying to teach myself I've read and heard so many conflicting opinions from apparently equally reliable sources regarding technique, positioning, bellows stuff, do's and donts, some of it works for me some of it really doesn't, the more I delve, it seems that the official "correct" way depends who's teaching you.. This forum has got me thinking about a few new things though :D

And yes Bob, you from these parts?

The red hot or very light touch on the bass is qjite difficult to get the hang of initially and requires constant practice to keep it light! On the other hand playing lengthy stabs, legato etc etc comes fairly easily to most . It therefore makes sense to make a conscious effort to get the ultra light touch and to use it as a sort of d efault mode for much of the playing and to only play legato, long bass or chords on purpose. This will prevent the bass from sounding turgid .

A very good exercise to get the light touch really light is to play a tune , perhaps a march or reel in whatever key you want but only using the bass note and major chord of that key. i.e. if playing the tune in key of C ONLY use C bass & C major chord. It will of course be full of discords. Then keep lightening the bass/chord until most of the dischords disappear -- that is the point where you are tapping the bass so lightly that in effect all you will be hearing is some light percussion. You then have a choice of big long handfuls or ultra light tapping - and more importantly the ability to to anything in between easily!

try it its not as daft as it sounds

george

We're not saying it sounds daft George....just that it is not the only way ...and it is difficult .....and therefore discouraging to just keep plugging away at it...so tunes with a
slower bass method keep the spirits up in between trying ...or practising... the staccato method......have a bit of fun...then do some work...then a bit of fun etc...that's all...not knocking it :tup:

Ah yes... he's the reason my friend Helen bought a Hohner Student - and she can play it nearly as well as that.

Can see why :) . I've been on the hunt for nice little'un since seeing this..

Yep - I could nearly buy every acco I see played well in the hope that it will make me as good as they...
It is amazing tho' that good players can get a great tune out of a relatively low end accorjun.. I am very envious.
PS I certainly don't mean to infer the Student is a piece of tat... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back