• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

S Soprani(claimed to be pre-owned by Mantovani)

S

smdc66

Hi

My brother has aquired an accordion

He has no interest in playing it (or stocking it) as although he is a musician and has a music shop (guitars,amps,disco etc) - guitar is his thing - he knows its my hobby though and has put it aside for me to view

He tells me its big, & apparently pre-owned by mantovani* and sold by boosey and hawkes of london

I hope to see it soon as am intrigued although concerned the big factor may make it too big for me and the age factor in need of service / repair / unplayable

landro

Reaction score
Unless there is some sort of proof of provinence it`s going to be a hard sell. Your title "possibly" owned by Mantovani doesn`t sound too convincing.
Personally I don`t know of any accordion worth more soley because it was played or owned by someone famous.

S

smdc66

landro said:
Unless there is some sort of proof of provinence it`s going to be a hard sell. Your title possibly owned by Mantovani doesn`t sound too convincing.
Personally I don`t know of any accordion worth more soley because it was played or owned by someone famous.

very little money changed hands when it was aquired recently on the basis of these facts so there has been no real monetary incentive / benefit to missell its history - purely conversational topics

the only thing i thought in general was if an accordion was owned by a famous musician it would be kind of a rubber quality stamp and/or add collector value and thus increase its value with increased interest

landro

Reaction score
landro said:
Unless there is some sort of proof of provinence it`s going to be a hard sell. Your title possibly owned by Mantovani doesn`t sound too convincing.

very little money changed hands when it was aquired recently on the basis of these facts so there has been no real monetary incentive / benefit to missell its history - purely conversational topics

the only thing i thought in general was if an accordion was owned by a famous musician it would be kind of a rubber quality stamp and/or add collector value and thus increase its value with increased interest[/quote]

My apologies if my responses sound offensive in any way.
I`d have to believe any instrument played by a famous musician would indeed be of high quality but as far as I know condition is the prime and maybe the only consideration used in determining the value of an accordion. Now if it was an old guitar played by Jimmy Hendricks or Les Paul it might fetch up to $80,000 (US) or more but alas ! Old accordions and their famous players of the past don`t seem to share in the limelights as such.

S

smdc66

I've seen it now and it is big and is in need of attention - i'll attach some pics and a little information that may be of interest to some and hopefully can help guide me on deciding what to do with it - and if it has any real value....... the concern being it becomes yet another big unplayable accordion left on the shelf

a lot of the bass buttons are pushed in or at least do not stay pushed out as they should and a couple of the treble couplers are stiff - a couple of the feet have come loose and one of the bellows clasps has broken

it appears to be in good cosmetic condition externally inc bellows (which are a nice red colour) and well built

the bellows move without depressing any buttons and it makes sounds too without pressing anything so is unplayable really at the moment

i think its 4 voice and has a gold sticker on it which has been damaged but i can see the word lewisham printed on it

Attachments

• settimio grand.jpg
    settimio grand.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 1,076
  • soprani . .jpg
    soprani . .jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 1,075
  • soprani , , ,.jpg
    soprani , , ,.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 1,078
  • soprani.jpg
    soprani.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 1,078
  • soprani.jpg
    soprani.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 1,077
S

smdc66

contd

Attachments

• SOPRANI LTR.jpg
    SOPRANI LTR.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 1,076
  • soprani ltr 2.jpg
    soprani ltr 2.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 1,077
  • SOPRANI LTR;;.jpg
    SOPRANI LTR;;.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 1,084

Matt Butcher

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lewisham normally = Allodi, whether it passed through his hands or his father's? Not sure that helps you though.

S

smdc66

Matt Butcher said:
Lewisham normally = Allodi, whether it passed through his hands or his fathers? Not sure that helps you though.

i thought it rang a bell and allodi did spring to mind -

mantovani could have purchased this p.a.from allodi - it would have been more bruno allodis era though i think though and in the 50s / 60s - more mantovanis hey days - OR may have just had it serviced there