• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland FR-1x growling noise.

AdamJoseph

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have not played my fr-1x in a few years. I typically play my acoustic or fr-4x. I decided to break it out for some fun. Some of the treble keys are making a strange growling noise. I did a global reset and this did not help. Any thoughts?

Adam,
"Some of the treble keys are making a strange growling noise. "
Curly virtual-leather valves??

Last edited:
Is the growl identical on every register setting and sound?
Just as an experiment, if you pitch shift up as high as possible, does the pitch of the growl go up?

It's not just the weirdness, but your entire keyboard is remapped, the 3rd being the "growl", the 2nd note is way off from the 1st!

And you say that a complete factory reset does nothing? If that is a factory reset, it may be time to send it in to a Roland repair center.

You say you have not played the Fr1x for a while? How long was it sitting idle?
could it be dirt in the contacts? I would have that inspected first by a reliable source…

Some settings are not reset when doing a factory reset! Something may have happened to the board memory.
I would manually check the settings (pages 45 and following) one by one, something may have happened to the circuitry (electro magnetic interference?) that has set some options.

Have you tried updating it to the latest release?

Great idea. If that doesn’t work I will send it in for repairs. There is a Roland repair shop about an hour away.

Great idea. If that doesn’t work I will send it in for repairs. There is a Roland repair shop about an hour away.
Hi Adam
I have an Fr1x that has just started with exactly the same signs as you describe. How did you get on with yours - did you send it for repair in the end, or figure a way to fix it?
Cheers
Don

Keymn,
That's a worry with anything electronic, as I see it ?
Analogue stuff, even 60 or 70 years old, is often eminently repairable: electronics, not so much if at all?.

Just a quick question... you mention that you stored the accordion for a long period of time... during that time, were the batteries left installed? If so, *and* the batteries went dead, you may have a pretty serious issue. The acidic off gases can easily damage IC board circuitry, not to mention that the leaked out acid (if present), could easily kill your V-accordion.

No matter what the device is... if it is powered by batteries and you plan to not use it for more than a few days... TAKE THE BATTERIES OUT OF IT. :)

I did not fix it. I plan on sending it to get fixed this spring.
Hi Adam
Just got mine fixed with an over-the-phone set of instructions from Roland - not a factory reset, but something more involved. It is apparently something to do with the main board thinking it belongs to a button key FR1x. Shouldn't happen again apparently & didn't cost anything to fix.
Cheers
D

Back