• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Roland FC-7 Pedal Spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

pentaprism

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2013
Messages
349
Reaction score
55
I'm planning a DIY FC-7. Not having access to a genuine copy, I'm unsure about the distance between individual switches.

FC-7 (and the likes) owners, please tell me how far (center to center) the switches are.

Thank you.
 

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Joined
Apr 30, 2013
Messages
4,891
Reaction score
439
Yes a good switch but, I use the type that can be wired normally open or normally closed.
They suit more applications.
 

pentaprism

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2013
Messages
349
Reaction score
55
Of course, Jim.

You have a shop that has different needs for different applications. The more versatile the part, the better.

Incidentally, I just ordered a few dozens of magnetic switches to lighting projects at home. Not knowing what the future needs would be, I bought the "normally open/normally closed" version.
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
933
Reaction score
85
pentaprism post_id=49982 time=1504196887 user_id=107 said:
Of course, Jim.

You have a shop that has different needs for different applications. The more versatile the part, the better.

Incidentally, I just ordered a few dozens of magnetic switches to lighting projects at home. Not knowing what the future needs would be, I bought the normally open/normally closed version.

I tried something interesting (experimental only). I have a Korg PA3x with the Korg pedal. I purchased one of those Bluetooth Relay boards on Amazon ($12.00). Wired it to the pedal input. It has a handheld wireless small pushbutton station. Fits on a key chain. My intention was a way to control my keyboard wirelessly. Now take that handheld pushutton convert to a foot pedal? Put this relay board in a small black box with connector, find a Bluetooth pedal to pair with this. Just dreaming :idea:
 

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
3,351
Reaction score
387
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
When I did the mental exercise of what pedals to use, I also came up with all kinds of solutions. In the end, I ended up wiring up my own setup and I really like it... a bit narrower than the entire FC-7, but it is a combination of ideas I picked up on the web and what I had in my basement.

I first made an adapter to use my Ketron X4 pedal (6 switches), and that worked, but I ultimately wanted a 7 button setup (8 with the performance next option).

I now use basically a 3 pedal setup:
- A BOSS F5-SU for the Performance Next Function
- A 3 button pedal that serves as the Start/Stop, Intro and Ending functions
- A 4 button pedal that serves as the 4 variations/drum breaks of the BK-7m

http://syner-g.asuscomm.com/mymusic/files/pedals.jpg>
pedals.jpg


I like the 3 pedal layout as it is pretty logical and fairly close together but still all far enough apart to be easily usable without unintentional errors. :)

The complete story of my process is on my blog, complete with wiring pin-outs I used.
 

pentaprism

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2013
Messages
349
Reaction score
55
Keymn post_id=50010 time=1504439061 user_id=2502 said:
pentaprism post_id=49982 time=1504196887 user_id=107 said:
Of course, Jim.

You have a shop that has different needs for different applications. The more versatile the part, the better.

Incidentally, I just ordered a few dozens of magnetic switches to lighting projects at home. Not knowing what the future needs would be, I bought the normally open/normally closed version.

I tried something interesting (experimental only). I have a Korg PA3x with the Korg pedal. I purchased one of those Bluetooth Relay boards on Amazon ($12.00). Wired it to the pedal input. It has a handheld wireless small pushbutton station. Fits on a key chain. My intention was a way to control my keyboard wirelessly. Now take that handheld pushutton convert to a foot pedal? Put this relay board in a small black box with connector, find a Bluetooth pedal to pair with this. Just dreaming :idea:
Should work.

I tried this flash/camera wireless remote control with the pedal input of the BK-7m. Worked great.



 

Attachments

  • Yongnuo602.jpg
    Yongnuo602.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 2,771

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
3,351
Reaction score
387
Location
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
pentaprism post_id=50077 time=1504550197 user_id=107 said:
Should work.
I tried this flash/camera wireless remote control with the pedal input of the BK-7m. Worked great.
Thats idea is actually quite brilliant... lol
The thing is that YongNuo are not known for being very reliable, nor long lasting, but none the less, an incredible display of imagination and innovation! :ch
 

pentaprism

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2013
Messages
349
Reaction score
55
Thanks, Jerry, for your kind words.

Now that I have a solution, I just need to find the problem ;)

I can buy 8 copies of the YongNuo, and make a wireless FC-8. :D

I actually have very good luck with the YongNuo. I have several copies of the 602, they haven't yet failed me.
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
933
Reaction score
85
pentaprism post_id=50109 time=1504634637 user_id=107 said:
Thanks, Jerry, for your kind words.

Now that I have a solution, I just need to find the problem ;)

I can buy 8 copies of the YongNuo, and make a wireless FC-8. :D

I actually have very good luck with the YongNuo. I have several copies of the 602, they havent yet failed me.

What I would like to see is further development on the BK Partner app. Now It duplicates the controls on the iPad. I Think just the BK keyboards not sure of the BK7m? Interface to a Bluetooth pedal! Programmable to whatever button you want to press on arranger. A dreamer :geek:
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
933
Reaction score
85
JerryPH post_id=50116 time=1504657283 user_id=1475 said:
Keymn post_id=50111 time=1504640283 user_id=2502 said:
I Think just the BK keyboards not sure of the BK7m?


It does.
https://www.roland.com/us/support/knowledge_base/201919349/

Thanks for the link. Would it be possible to eliminate the need for the FC-7? Use A BlueBoard instead to connect to the BK Partner app to control the BK7m, start/stop/ var. 1,2,3...etc...I do not have either devices...
There needs to be something in the settings which I do not see?
 

pentaprism

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2013
Messages
349
Reaction score
55
Keymn post_id=50118 time=1504662828 user_id=2502 said:
Would it be possible to eliminate the need for the FC-7? Use A BlueBoard instead to connect to the BK Partner app to control the BK7m, start/stop/ var. 1,2,3...etc...I do not have either devices...

In my opinion, the BK Partner app only enhances the user interface of the BK-7m, no more, no less. It doesnt add any functionality, even something as simple as allowing the user to copy a performance from one performance list to another performance list (or if I miss it, please set me straight).

I dont think Roland will produce another foot controller, even wireless, to replace the FC-7. Even if they do, Im not sure it will sell. Its difficult to shell out $250 for the FC-7, its even more difficult to buy an iPad and another (expensive) foot controller just to replace the FC-7.

Im still puzzled by Rolands decision to discontinue the FC-7.
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
933
Reaction score
85
pentaprism post_id=50139 time=1504733786 user_id=107 said:
Keymn post_id=50118 time=1504662828 user_id=2502 said:
Would it be possible to eliminate the need for the FC-7? Use A BlueBoard instead to connect to the BK Partner app to control the BK7m, start/stop/ var. 1,2,3...etc...I do not have either devices...

In my opinion, the BK Partner app only enhances the user interface of the BK-7m, no more, no less. It doesnt add any functionality, even something as simple as allowing the user to copy a performance from one performance list to another performance list (or if I miss it, please set me straight).

I dont think Roland will produce another foot controller, even wireless, to replace the FC-7. Even if they do, Im not sure it will sell. Its difficult to shell out $250 for the FC-7, its even more difficult to buy an iPad and another (expensive) foot controller just to replace the FC-7.

Im still puzzled by Rolands decision to discontinue the FC-7.

Check this link. Doesnt BK Partner duplicate the function buttons of BK7m on the iPad?
<YOUTUBE id=jiCEYDSn_KI url=></YOUTUBE>

To make this app a killer! I do not see this in the app?
1. Ability to work in the background. Reason you want it to work in the background is so you can still use Songbook+ app or OnSong.
2. Program a Bluetooth pedal to communicate to press a selected function key like start/stop, var, end 1,2...etc.
3. Something a BK7m owner can investigate. Or can it be done already?
Again I am. Dreamer...
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
933
Reaction score
85
pentaprism post_id=50139 time=1504733786 user_id=107 said:
Keymn post_id=50118 time=1504662828 user_id=2502 said:
Would it be possible to eliminate the need for the FC-7? Use A BlueBoard instead to connect to the BK Partner app to control the BK7m, start/stop/ var. 1,2,3...etc...I do not have either devices...

In my opinion, the BK Partner app only enhances the user interface of the BK-7m, no more, no less. It doesnt add any functionality, even something as simple as allowing the user to copy a performance from one performance list to another performance list (or if I miss it, please set me straight).

I dont think Roland will produce another foot controller, even wireless, to replace the FC-7. Even if they do, Im not sure it will sell. Its difficult to shell out $250 for the FC-7, its even more difficult to buy an iPad and another (expensive) foot controller just to replace the FC-7.

Im still puzzled by Rolands decision to discontinue the FC-7.

Appears the FC-7 was discontinued to be replace with midi pedal fc-300. The price tag is high on both...
The breakaway cable on the fr7 and a spare battery too was expensive. Thank you fr4x for the AA rechargeables!

Have a Korg PA3x arranger. EC5 programmed as follows: Harmony (Korg has built in voice harmonized), start/stop (not really needed all the time, use sync/start), Variation advance up ( I suppose I can program the remaining button to var advance down). This is what I been using for years.

I very seldom touch the Korg arranger buttons as I have control with the iPad Songbook+ and EC5.
On my old Korg PA1x (without the use of EC5 and iPad), eventually wear out the frequently pressed buttons. There are called tactile switches which are soldered on the circuit boards inside the arranger. The manufacture would sell them for $8 each, but found the same at Digikey for $0.25. Had to replace several throughout the years. Think most arrangers have the same type of switches. A big job on the keyboard, many screws to remove, fine solder removal and replace.
Does the BK-7m have circuit boards with these switches?

I think pedals are important, no matter what your use and preference.
 

pentaprism

Well-known member
Joined
May 7, 2013
Messages
349
Reaction score
55
Appears the FC-7 was discontinued to be replace with midi pedal fc-300.
I dont think so. Note that the FC-7 (and thus what the BK-7m expects from its FC-7 input connector) is just a collection of 7 simple momentary switches. It does not and can not produce any MIDI signal. The FC-300 is a MIDI foot controller.
The breakaway cable on the fr7 and a spare battery too was expensive.
Agree. Thats why I am not using them.
See https://www.accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4142
Does the BK-7m have circuit boards with these switches?
Probably. But almost all of electronic devices have them too, and they can last surprisingly long. For example, the switch for the shutter release of my camera is rated at 300000 cycles. If I hit it 20 times a day, it will wear out in more than 40 years.
To make this app a killer! I do not see this in the app?
1. Ability to work in the background. Reason you want it to work in the background is so you can still use Songbook+ app or OnSong.
2. Program a Bluetooth pedal to communicate to press a selected function key like start/stop, var, end 1,2...etc.
3. Something a BK7m owner can investigate. Or can it be done already?
I havent tried (1), but for (2), I dont think its possible. At least I havent found a way to do it.

As noted in one of my previous posts, BK-Partner just enhances the user interface of the BK-7m thanks to the iPads larger display. BK-Partner does not add any functionality to the BK-7m.
 

Keymn

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2017
Messages
933
Reaction score
85
pentaprism post_id=50211 time=1504896627 user_id=107 said:
Appears the FC-7 was discontinued to be replace with midi pedal fc-300.
I dont think so. Note that the FC-7 (and thus what the BK-7m expects from its FC-7 input connector) is just a collection of 7 simple momentary switches. It does not and can not produce any MIDI signal. The FC-300 is a MIDI foot controller. Korg does the same with EC5.
The breakaway cable on the fr7 and a spare battery too was expensive.
Agree. Thats why I am not using them.
See https://www.accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4142
Does the BK-7m have circuit boards with these switches?
Probably. But almost all of electronic devices have them too, and they can last surprisingly long. For example, the switch for the shutter release of my camera is rated at 300000 cycles. If I hit it 20 times a day, it will wear out in more than 40 years.
To make this app a killer! I do not see this in the app?
1. Ability to work in the background. Reason you want it to work in the background is so you can still use Songbook+ app or OnSong.
2. Program a Bluetooth pedal to communicate to press a selected function key like start/stop, var, end 1,2...etc.
3. Something a BK7m owner can investigate. Or can it be done already?
I havent tried (1), but for (2), I dont think its possible. At least I havent found a way to do it.

As noted in one of my previous posts, BK-Partner just enhances the user interface of the BK-7m thanks to the iPads larger display. BK-Partner does not add any functionality to the BK-7m.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top