• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Rock Accordionists who can really play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Yates

Reaction score
There are a few big name bands who use accordions just for the sound. That’s good, but I’m really interested in the rock players who can play more than a few right hand chords and who incorporate the idiomatic subtleties of the accordion in the structure of the tunes.
Here’s one from Russian band Iva Nova with accordionist Natalia Potapenko (thanks to Sarah):
http://www.linkonardo.com/en/accordion/d3412/indie-rock-band-with-accordion-iva-nova-video.html

Can Natalia Potepenko really play?
Yes.

Maybe Netta Skog.
Netta Skog the winner of Digital Accordion World Championship 2015

A bit in to this video.

How about Accordion Rock Orchestrion?  Their website, www.accordionrock.com,  has a ton of samplings from various performances.  The group hails from St. Petersburg, Russia and consists of four accordionists, a bass guitarist, a drummer and a Latin percussionist.

Alan Sharkis

Cool. People I’m not familiar with.
Looking at the rock accordion site what they call rock is not exactly what I had in mind...Covering Yellow Submarine isn’t rock to me, just as covering Rock Around the Clock isn’t rock. It COULD be, but not from what I’ve heard. Of course, I think Trans Siberian Whatever is closer to schlock than rock.

Isn't rock dead?

Looks like Charan po Rantans mother is their costume designer. Great article about their origins busking on the street, seeing Cirque du Soleil’s accordion player, becoming pop-stars etc.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/cultur...-sister-circus-charan-po-rantan/#.XXK6iS0ZOV4

I have no idea whats going on with the teeth in this video: (Nice metal solo at 2:15, again with the fake button-box filling in for the real cba)
[video=youtube]
They have so many strange videos! (Sorry, I got distracted from the rock question.)

I dont know if this counts, but its got drums, (balalaika) bass, electric guitar and a vocalist who uses vodka and gravel for mouthwash. At the end theres something you could almost call a dueling solo between the accordionist and the guitarist:

[video=youtube]

The giant 3-string cheese wedge in the back is cool.
The only accordion savior I see yet is Potepenko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back