• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

"Ripple" in bellows pleats - problem needing fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigd

Reaction score
I first want to express my gratitude for the generous help I get on this forum. Thanks!
A recently acquired 37 note, 60 bass cba has slight ripple-like bends in about five (of 15) front bellows pleats. There is one ripple per pleat, only noticeable on close inspection, but more obvious when the bellows are open. They do feel like slightly weakened spots, so I'm wondering if this is a concern. Will they deteriorate, and if so is there a fix?

Last edited:
Bellows whether of Italian, German or Chinese origin all have an interior construction of cardboard that is fabric covered.
Once this cardboard is weakened by stress or moisture, will not cure itself, continue to weaken and in time require replacement.
A new set of bellows might just cost you more than the used accordion is worth but there are firms & shops that have good
used bellows with prices from $100 to $200 USD. If you decide to replace your bellows with a new or good used set
by all means read this first -------

As for bellows build & quality the Italians make the finest. Now this leaves the German & Chinese made bellows.
The German bellows have an adequate cardboard construction but have poorly made bellows corners that have
poor plating and tarnish & rust in time. (Now this might surprise some ) but the Chinese make a fine quality
set of bellows. Their quality is superior to German makes and construction closely rivals some Italian makes

Last edited:
I first want to express my gratitude for the generous help I get on this forum. Thanks!
A recently acquired 37 note, 60 bass cba has slight ripple-like bends in about five (of 15) front bellows pleats. There is one ripple per pleat, only noticeable on close inspection, but more obvious when the bellows are open. They do feel like slightly weakened spots, so I'm wondering if this is a concern. Will they deteriorate, and if so is there a fix?
Can you post pictures?

Thanks Jim. Old bayan, I can't post a pic for a few days as I am not at home. An encouraging observation, I believe, is the drop test from full extension to fully closed took about 60 seconds. That suggests the bellows are not significantly damaged, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back