• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Richard Galliano plays many different accordions

Hongyu

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just found a very interesting video of " Festival Internacional Da Sanfona" on Youtube. Start from 2:01:23, the great Richard Galliano gave a fabulous online concert. The interesting thing is apart from his vintage Victoria from 60s, he also played 4 other accordions including Giulietti Classic 127, Scandalli Super 6, A new Sonola SS4 made by Maxim group and a LMMM Cooperativa. He used to stick to Victoria but I found him starting to play some other models of his collection recently.
Here's the video :

Victoria.PNG
Victoria with Catraro reeds from 60s, it has the best tone for my ears. No words needed

Giulietti.PNG
Giulietti Classic 127, I think it is from 60s as well. Great tone but slightly different from Victoria. Richard plays it in some of his concerts these days

Scandalli.PNG
Scandalli Super VI, not sure about the decade. Looks like it's from 50s or 60s, but surprisingly it has a rather "french" tone

Sonola.PNG

A new Sonola SS4 made by Maxim group, similar to vintage "Ernie Felice" SS4 model but with a lighter bassoon sound. Maxim group recently announces a collaboration with Richard for the production of some Settimio Sorprani and Sonola models.

Cooperativa.PNG

A very old LMMM accordion, I can't bear this heavy tremolo sound...

Thank you for sharing this. Galliano is for me the epitome of a true musician. He plays a variety of wonderful accordions with different flavours of Galliano. My highlights here are the Improvisation piece at around 2 hours 35min. He finds music in the stradella bass sequences and combined chords and really explores them before he flicks the switch to quint converter, to open things up and stretch the bass a little. Then he does a couple of cheeky diagonal bass glissandi (at 2:36.48):). Then he picks up the Cooperativa with musette tuning, and again makes beautiful music (Trenet). His phrasing and expression, moments of virtuosity and sensitivity. Listening to this man is a wonderful lesson. The complete accordionist.​

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing this. Galliano is for me the epitome of a true musician. He plays a variety of wonderful accordions with different flavours of Galliano. My highlights here are the Improvisation piece at around 2 hours 35min. He finds music in the stradella bass sequences and combined chords and really explores them before he flicks the switch to quint converter, to open things up and stretch the bass a little. Then he does a couple of cheeky diagonal bass glissandi (at 2:36.48):). Then he picks up the Cooperativa with musette tuning, and again makes beautiful music (Trenet). His phrasing and expression, moments of virtuosity and sensitivity. Listening to this man is a wonderful lesson. The complete accordionist.​
I agree, that is a crazy improvisation with some scary skills...

Back