• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Replace Keys

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it was Jim that said leave half the white key tops on (every other one) then fit half the new white tops.
That way you can make sure they line up properly by reference to the old ones.
Then repeat with the remaining tops.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When the key rods have been cleaned and replaced on the spindle you start with a straight edge by replacing every other keytop and then go back
and replace the every other missing keytops. The glue to use is 5 min. epoxy, The reasoning for this is the epoxy gives you a good 3 min. to
align the key tops before it starts to set up.

Waiting for epoxy to set up takes patience but it will insure a perfectly aligned keyboard. If you have one around, an old egg timer can be
useful.

Last edited:

nagant27

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was thinking of maybe attempting this on an older accordion that has really yellow keys. Not sure when I’ll actually get around to it, seems like cool project. I have replaced a single key here snd there, but never the entire keyboard.
If you do get the right size keys, exact size, then would I be correct in that you don’t need to cut anything?

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If your lucky the keytops will fit without fitting, but in 50% of cases some trimming will be necessary. The length might have to be shortened
and adjustments made for the sharps & flats.