• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Removing old grill cloth

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished posting on a thread the glues used for attaching new grill cloth & I've just realized there is no mention of removing the old grill
cloth. Removing old grill cloth can be a chore in itself. I've been rebuilding & refurbishing models of accordions for years now and in
most cases the process involves new grill cloth installation. In the past I was mentored on the process of removing old grill cloth and I've been
using this process since. First of all remove the grill & remove any removeable attachments to the point your left with the grill shell with
the old cloth still attached. Now for fortunately in 99.9% of the cases the old glue will be somewhat water soluble and if this process is
used will come off in one piece. You will need a vessel to immerse the grill in lukewarm water with a bit of dishwashing liquid.
Now HAVE PATEINCE and leave the grill immersed in the water for at least 1/2 hour. In most all cases the grill cloth will peel off
in one piece. If the cloth is stubborn to release leave it immersed longer. Once the old cloth is removed clean the grill and don't
concern yourself with a bit of old glue residue left on the grill. The old residue will aid in the new glue adhesion. With a cleaned
& dried grill proceed with the style & color grill cloth you desire and the glue brand you've decided on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back