• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

removing keys / straightening keys

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smdc66

i have an old p/a with keys that are not all straight but not too bad with 1 sticky uppy key

(see pancotti post for pics)

anyone experience of repairing keys

i am particularly interested to know if the offending key can be removed easily for inspection without interfering with the rods and valves and wax necessitating a fix to those parts also or whether its likely removing one part will break another meaning further repair / cost considerations should be had

Again, the answers to the questions you ask here are found in the Accordion Revival website.

I have read this guide (which is very thorough) but am also interested in what's not there, peoples' non - pro. /pro. experiences, for one thing.

It does say in the guide that one requires a little coaching as well as motivation and other attributes.

:|

That's the object of belonging to a forum such as this as you have members that are non-pro and members with a professional backround. As for the coaching I'll be glad to help and for the motivation, that's up to you. And by all means ASK as there is no such thing as a stupid question!! JIM D.

that's re-assuring, :tup:

on an old pancotti pa, (with the steel rod sticking out of one side) when targetting individual keys, as they all have to be removed, is it likely that in this process you will interfer and damage other parts eg rods,wax,valve,springs because they are old and delicate

the guide seems to mention being ready to catch keys as they fling off all over the place!

Do you need to get all the keys off?
There's a spring under the keys. With control, as you withdraw the pivot rod the spring will tend to 'throw off' the keys one at time. They wont go feet in the air or anything. However depending on the fixing mechanism, you may find that the springs ping so keep your eye on 'em.
If you can withdraw the rod in a controlled manner you'll only need to release the keys upto the last one you need to get at ...

Stick a strip of adhesive tape over the keys while withdrawing the rod, this can help to prevent keys flying across the room. Then withdraw the rod enough to release one key at a time and remove each key as it is released, and number it so you can get it back in the same place.

Old axle rods can be very tight, if the key guides (under the keys) are of the type common on old instruments where the guide slots are sawn out of one piece of timber, it can be very easy to snap off the thin pieces of timber remaining between the slots. Unfortunately there is no easy way to tell if this will happen, until it is too late. If at all possible leave the axle rod in place.

I've found that in many repair guides and websites the removal and installation of an accordion axle rod is not described in proper detail. When installing an axle rod even on a new accordion the thin pieces of wood between the slots can be damaged. When an accordion is manufactured the axle rods are spun in place and not hammered in place. When I remove an axle rod I first pull it out 1 inch and then chuck it into a drill chuck and spin it out. When replacing the rod I first use a very light oil such as WD-40 and using a small paint brush apply a small amount to the holes the axle rod passes through and then spin the axle rod back in. JIM D.

I like the idea of the drill chuck as a puller. I'll give it a try the next time I get a stiff axle rod.

My tip is to wrap the whole keyboard in stretch wrapper (like narrow cling film used for parcels normally), running along the keyboard. Then cut a pinhole at the axle rod end and extract the rod. You can see exactly what is happening as the wrapper is clear, and the keys are still held in place as the rod is extracted, just rising slightly as each one is released. Then slide each key out in order and mark, if you have not already done so. I use pencil on the side of the keys, where it is unseen.

Hope this helps someone.

REEDPINGER said:
Hope this helps someone.

the tip helps me as i consider when (if?) to tackle this stage of my pancotti resto. project - thanks

well thanks to all the tips, in fact, they are all valuable

when replacing keys , can the rod be installed whilst replacing keys one at a time (so you can see what you doing more) or do you have to replace all the keys and then install the rod :? :?:

One at a time most definitely. You have to ensure that the rod is aligned with the hole in each key before advancing the rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back