• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

remove clasps from the bottom

Marije

Reaction score
hi all,
I have a question, hoping to hear some advice here :)
My lovely Serenellini Regina Gold has one aspect that is a bit problematic:
Like most PA's, it has clasps top and bottom to keep the bellows closed. They stick out significantly and it hurts my leg when I play... see picture
Could I safely remove the bottom one? Or would it have unforeseen consequences?
Thanks!
Marije

Attachments

• IMG_9155.JPG
    IMG_9155.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 16
There are no unforeseen consequences. The consequences to be expected are:
1) Where you remove the screws you have holes that may leak air (if they are through and through0, so they need to be filled with wood filler and/or glue.
2) You need to then make sure you first keep small "pits" and then fill them with celluloid. Celluloid repair is relatively easy compared to other plastics, but to get a perfect result requires making celluloid paste (by dissolving celluloid in acetone), patience, sanding and polishing. What it requires the most is the patience.

of which i have little !

may also just put the screws back in

then someday it will be easy to put the clasp back on again if needed

Are you sure you're holding your accordion properly ?🤔
The lower bellows strap (clasp) should be sitting harmlessly between your legs, not bothering anything.

The lower bellows strap (clasp) should be sitting harmlessly between your legs, not bothering anything.
The bottom clasp is what prevented Francesco Lentini from reaching the level of virtuoso on the accordion. :p

Attachments

• fl.jpg
    fl.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 28

The stud which retains the lower clasp while in play on my big button box digs into my thigh too.
I just put a bit of extra padding on my leg.
In my travels within the mysteries of the internet I have noticed that a few top professional players do the same thing.

The clasp/strap type you have is one of the high-profile type and could be changed to one with a much lower profile.
Put a pad on your knee/thigh to protect; trousers will last longer too.
If possible take the shoulder straps up a notch.
Wait a while before you buy acetone.
Dingo40, Ffingers: I associate the funny, nonsense song 'Jake the Peg' with Rolf Harris, the ex-Australian. We need more songs like that.

The clasp/strap type you have is one of the high-profile type and could be changed to one with a much lower profile.
Put a pad on your knee/thigh to protect; trousers will last longer too.
If possible take the shoulder straps up a notch.
Wait a while before you buy acetone.
Dingo40, Ffingers: I associate the funny, nonsense song 'Jake the Peg' with Rolf Harris, the ex-Australian. We need more songs like that.

…but fewer persons with his predelictions.

Bellow strap between your legs is not the proper way to hold the accordion. The correct way is a bit more to your left. When you can stretch your elbow far to the right, then angle your forearm towards the keyboard and then you hand should be on the keys. If you need to move your elbow further back to get your arm to rest on the keyboard then the accordion is too far towards your righthand side.

The 'correct' way always seems a bit of a moving target to me.
Many years ago while my eldest son was receiving violin lessons his teacher commented on his holding of the instrument and stance with the comment 'we don't want you looking like Aly Bain'. For those who don't know Aly Bain was/is one of the most popular and successful fiddlers in Scotland and beyond in the folk genre, associated closely with Phil Cunningham (accordion).

hello again,
Thanks for your replies!
Yes, It seems a bit early for acetone.. I'll first try with the flat clasp. In combination with some padding it should work.
I played a claspless French style accordion the other day, and it felt much better balanced on the leg, because the underside was simply smooth and flat.

As I have been instructed, the instrument rests in balance on my left leg, with the edge where bellows meet the case sitting right in the middle of the leg. The right corner is catched by the right leg. Kind of like the image above, really. That way there is no weight on the shoulders or back, and I can rock the instrument a little to aid the bellows. It's supposedly an ergonomic approach to playing..

hello again,
Thanks for your replies!
Yes, It seems a bit early for acetone.. I'll first try with the flat clasp. In combination with some padding it should work.
I played a claspless French style accordion the other day, and it felt much better balanced on the leg, because the underside was simply smooth and flat.

As I have been instructed, the instrument rests in balance on my left leg, with the edge where bellows meet the case sitting right in the middle of the leg. The right corner is catched by the right leg. Kind of like the image above, really. That way there is no weight on the shoulders or back, and I can rock the instrument a little to aid the bellows. It's supposedly an ergonomic approach to playing..
I agree - that snap on that model digs in rather painfully. I stopped clasping the bellows strap. I rotate it so that it points away from the bellows, and that solved the problem for me. Not very elegant, but simple and it worked.

I agree - that snap on that model digs in rather painfully. I stopped clasping the bellows strap. I rotate it so that it points away from the bellows, and that solved the problem for me. Not very elegant, but simple and it worked.
Now that you mention that... I had not noticed that the original photo shows that the strap has to be rotated towards the player on this accordion. This type of strap is intended to be turned away from the player and fastened near the front. The construction we see in the picture is wrong. (The ("male stub") button should be in the opposite position.) Minor issue is that on some accordions that opposite position cannot be used because the accordion is not wide (thick) enough to place the button there. When I had to find a way to put this type of bellow strap on my Bugari 540 I had to place the strap slightly off-center (a bit towards the player) so that the button would fit. An accordion factory will never place the strap off-center.

Last edited:
Now that you mention that... I had not noticed that the original photo shows that the strap has to be rotated towards the player on this accordion. This type of strap is intended to be turned away from the player and fastened near the front. The construction we see in the picture is wrong. (The ("male stub") button should be in the opposite position.) Minor issue is that on some accordions that opposite position cannot be used because the accordion is not wide (thick) enough to place the button there. When I had to find a way to put this type of bellow strap on my Bugari 540 I had to place the strap slightly off-center (a bit towards the player) so that the button would fit. An accordion factory will never place the strap off-center.
My PS Super Organ also has the lower retaining strap‘s storage button located towards the players body and likewise digs into the thigh.

My PS Super Organ also has the lower retaining strap‘s storage button located towards the players body and likewise digs into the thigh.
It's a design flaw of the accordion manufacturer. I have a Hohner (Morino) Artiste X S (made by Excelsior) and i has the straps turn away from the player's body. Especially with the straps as shown in the picture that is easy to do (as the strap itself is short enough for the button to still fit on the accordion in a location away from the player's body.

Back