• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Reed mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glug

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hiya,
I've been cleaning the reeds on my 1950s Scandalli LMMH and I found one reed that has a mark on it (M register D6).
I'm guessing it's a makers mark so I'm wondering if anybody has seen this before.

Front:
M D6 front.1.jpg

Back:
M D6 back.1.jpg

All the other reeds just have the corner line.

I have one similar in the old Delicia I bought:
1612551677391.png

And what is the corner mark for? Anything in particular?

My provisional opinion was that the diagonal line means hand finished,
but that's because I've only seen it on my one accordion with tipo-a-mano reeds.

Alternatively is could be so that the reed is mounted with that face on the ouside.
Apparently turning the plate round will throw the tuning off so the inside and outside are different after (pre-)tuning.

but that's because I've only seen it on my one accordion with tipo-a-mano reeds.

Alternatively is could be so that the reed is mounted with that face on the ouside.
Apparently turning the plate round will throw the tuning off so the inside and outside are different after (pre-)tuning.
The stripe is intended to mark one side of the reed plate, so that when you remove the reed plate for cleaning, you know which side was the outside when you put it back. And in an accordion with more than one set of similar reeds (like with MM) some accordions will have reed plates with double strips (to distinguish them from the single striped reed plates), and some even have triple striped reeds.

Hi Glug,

Tipo-and-mano reeds have rivets with a typical “diamond” - shape. The plates may independently have one or more lines in the corner:
reeds I.jpg
reeds II.jpg

The reeds you have showed are not tipo-a-mano, but they are remarkable for their distinctly massive and relatively large rivet heads. I have the same in my instrument (however without any marking) and they are characterized by great tuning stability and sensitivity. I have no idea who made them (the instrument is not Italian; the reeds are used secondarily after the overhaul). I think they were probably made by the Italians:
reeds III.JPG

Regards, Vladimir

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back