• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Reed buzzing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trek4fr

I have one more reed question. On my accordion's bassoon setting (L), the A2 reed has a buzzing sound with the bellows going in at low volume. It sounds okay with normal volume/bellows pressure. And it is only on the one reed of the in/out set. I've removed the leather and it still does the same thing. I've held to reed against the wooden block (checking for, maybe, loose wax) and it still does the same thing. I've made sure that the reeds channel is clean and that there is no debris on the reed. But it still buzzes at low or beginning volume.

Has anyone seen this? Any idea what could cause it? Maybe a loose rivet holding the reed to the aluminum block? Something else?

Thanks for any help.

Which leather did you remove?
Both the leather that is blown open and the leather for the opposite reed that is being sucked closed can cause a vibration that you can hear. Especially with old leathers that may not close easily and properly it's possible that while being sucked close there is still a vibration. When you play harder there is more sucking power and the leather then closes completely.
Jim already mentioned many other possibilities. Accordion repair really is detective work.

Yes Paul is quite correct, If this is one of the leathers you have straightened and replaced it is possibly is now to stiff (not pliable)it will also cause a buzzing effect. An inside (the reed block) leather may also cause the same effect.

I must applaud you to endeavor to take on a personal effort to repair your instrument with advice, It will only enhance your appreciation of the box you own and have more satisfaction when performing with it.
:tup:

Success! Following Paul's advice (before the arduous and possibly disastrous efforts by me to melt the reed wax), I discovered (through trial and error and experimentation) that it was indeed the adjacent "out" reed leather that was causing the "sympathetic vibration". When I held that "out" leather firmly against the reed plate, the buzzing on the "in" reed stopped completely. I examined it closely and noticed, as Paul hinted at, that it had a slight arc to it, holding the middle of the leather open away from the reed plate and obviously causing the fluttering/buzzing effect at low volume. I removed it, ironed it perfectly flat, reglued it with Jim's Fabri-Tac, let it dry, and tested. No more buzzing/fluttering at any volume.

Thanks again to those who participate here who help us to appreciate and enjoy these rare (nowadays) but beautiful instruments.

I'm glad you found the solution. I was getting what I thought was a buzzing reed on an Excelsior 1320 but it turned out to be the grille resonating and touching the body of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back