• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Reed blocks waxing material?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wout

So I decided to open my instrument up and I found this on the reedblocks. It seems like its some kind of glue instead of the regular wax. I have attached some pictures but I dont have a to good camera. You can see it kind of see through and theres little bubbles inside. The reeds itselves look good to me and all (if anyone know which type they are feel free to tell me!) but seems like theyre permanently glued in the block. Is that a bad thing?

Attachments

• WP_20160713_004.jpg
    WP_20160713_004.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • WP_20160713_005.jpg
    WP_20160713_005.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 1,008
  • WP_20160713_006.jpg
    WP_20160713_006.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 1,006
Not good, looks like it might be a fiberglass resin. You might have to service the reeds and leathers without removing them from the block as removing the reeds and glue will damage the reedblock. The reeds seem to be machine made, what make & model accordion do they come from ???

yes they are from that instrument indeed! Is that of any help?

I've asked what make and model just to see if I had matching reedblocks in my used inventory.

So I guess you haven't. I guess its better to leave it like this. I am currently in the process of upgrading this instrument and I improved to keyboard by adding pads under the keys so it plays really soft and you dont need to press them down so much :). I wanted to order tipo a mano reeds to replace these. Further I am going to add a bit of felt under the treble pads for noise reduction.

Most times I refrain from posting a negative on someones make or model of accordion. But when I do its always the Straight Skinny --- http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=straight skinny --- so my comment on replacing the reeds in this model will in all cases far out value the worth of the accordion itself.

So well! Thats good news and sad news at the same time. The good news is, I am together with my brother who is an expert on woods designing to convert this instrument to a 4 voice double cassotto instrument. Sounds crazy but were taking it slow. So if we ruin the instrument its not that big a of a deal may we fail. Bad news is that I think that I got kind of scammed with this instrument since it is just like a Nike shoe. You pay more for the name then for the actual quality. Overall I am pleased with the key action since I added some quality felt under the keys and its really airtight. If we start from design to actual product if people might be interested I will post it here.

wout said:
So well! Thats good news and sad news at the same time. The good news is, I am together with my brother who is an expert on woods designing to convert this instrument to a 4 voice double cassotto instrument. Sounds crazy but were taking it slow. So if we ruin the instrument its not that big a of a deal may we fail. Bad news is that I think that I got kind of scammed with this instrument since it is just like a Nike shoe. You pay more for the name then for the actual quality. Overall I am pleased with the key action since I added some quality felt under the keys and its really airtight. If we start from design to actual product if people might be interested I will post it here.
As projects go this is definitely one to keep dreaming about but NOT to attempt. The woodworking is the least of the problem. The keyboard mechanics needs to be completely replaced as instead of one arm and valve per note you need two arms (at 90 degree angle and two valves. The register switches internal mechanics will need to be replaced too. Then there is the problem that this is a three reed instrument. It most likely has 3 reed blocks and you should check whether how the distribution of the reeds is over the blocks. You want one L and one M reed to go into the cassotto and one M reed outside. As you likely cannot take the reeds of the blocks due to the type of resin used you need to check whether you are lucky enough to have both sets of tremolo M reeds on one block together. Then you need to check whether there will be enough depth for the cassotto to fit. Two blocks need to go behind each other inside the cassotto. (You cannot do a one block cassotto unless you already have all L reeds on a single reed block.)
My advice: make someone else happy with this instrument and move on to a less ambitious project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back