• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Reducing photo size

Waldo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect the answer to this question is here somewhere, but I'm to stupid to find it.
How do I reduce photo sizes (pixels) in order to comply with the forum requirements? Can I effect the necessary changes on my computer (2021 MacBookPro)? Or do I need to go to an internet site?
Please help an old fool.

Thanks,
Waldo

On your MacBook Pro (assuming it works the same as my 2011 one) open the picture in Preview, then under “Tools” look for “Resize”. Change the size to less than 1600 x 1600 pixels.
Then under “File” look for “Export“ and export your picture in jpg format.

Or try using https://resizeimage.net/ and under "7." select "Normal compression"

Another possibility is to email the photo to yourself from your cell phone. On my phone, just before sending the email, the phone asks whether you want the attached photo to be the original size, "large," "medium," or "small" format. I generally chose large or medium. When you receive the reduced photo from yourself, it will be small enough to use on this site.

Knobby's method of using the tool box in preview is simplest for just one photo.

Yet another way for Mac users is to insert your photo into a new document opened in 'Pages'. If the picture is in 'photos' just drag it across.
In the pages document go to <file> & <reduce file size> . this opens a box to choose what aspects of the document file need to be reduced. The default effect is to cut down the resolution of the photos, intending that the whole file can be comfortably e-mailed as a attachment. The submenu also have the option to make a copy to reduce whilst leaving the original unchanged. With that option there is a prompt to save the copy with a new name. The resulting image can subsequently be resized at a lower resolution and not condemned to being small in dimension (just fuzzy when enlarged). Using the tools of Pages particularly relevant if the image forms part of a document with text and multiple pictures.

Preparing an e-mail as per Scuromondo's suggestion is also good, utilising the tools in 'Mail'. This can be initiated by sharing the image (with yourself); don't need to actually send it. Pick the size (actual, large, medium or small) and drag the resulting reduced image onto another file which can respond to the <attach file> of the destination eg "this forum".

Last edited:
Thanks for all this. I just posted a photo to another thread, and while doing so, I discovered the Phone option, reduced to large and the posting went fine. I wish I wasn't such a duffus with computers.
W

After dicking around for an hour with the suggestions above, I give up!
Thanks anyway.

Resizing photos : anyone still interested?
The admin of a woodworking forum suggested this free website. I tested it and it was fast, easy to use, and worked well:
It gave control over the file size, compression level, and file format as well as the simple pixel count image size.

I personally use Photoshop Elements these days for almost all on my image resizing and editing, not free but it has many of the features of the full Photoshop which I used in my work for ages. Highly recommended.

BTW, a suggestion when editing any photo is save it with a new name to preserve the original file. I usually append "_s” to the name for size changes, “_sce” for resizing plus cropping plus editing, etc.

The digital photography revolution sure has changed things! I’ve been a somewhat serious photographer since the ‘60s, from when I did everything in the darkroom as many here probably did. In addition to my extensive “collection” of negatives and the 100s of CDs and DVDs from my pro work, at last look I had close to 100,000 personal photos on my digital files. Yikes. (don’t forget to make frequent backups!!)

JKJ

I tried to use Reverb to list an Accordion. but the uploaded picture was truncated and not usable, whereas Ebay automatically reduces uploaded pics

I generally use a copy of Photoshop 7, which is apparently 21 years old but works fine for image editing.

Alternatively there's Faststone Image Viewer (free but Windows only) which is damn fine for viewing a collection of images but can also resize, edit, screen capture, etc.

The GIMP is available on multiple platforms as free software. It came into being as a Photoshop clone decades ago and can do a lot of things. Just loading an image and resaving it with suitable compression to reach some format/size as a JPEG is pretty straightforward. It can do lots of other things, of course. Nevertheless I do use it habitually for things such as crop jobs.

I generally use a copy of Photoshop 7, which is apparently 21 years old but works fine for image editing.

I quit upgrading Photoshop at version 6 and used that for my until just a couple of years ago. One great (and sometimes underused) feature of Photoshop is “Save for Web”. I frequent some forums where the image file size is limited - the “Save for Web“ painlessly reduces file size to exactly the # of kbytes I specify (and defaults to jpg regardless of the source type). Reducing file size is also great for email and to be kind to those with sketchy internet with limited bandwidth.

As mentioned above I eventually switched to Photoshop Elements (not free but quite cheap) which has almost all of the most useful PS features. (And keeps the “Save to Web”!)

JKJ

Back