• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Reducing photo size

Waldo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I suspect the answer to this question is here somewhere, but I'm to stupid to find it.
How do I reduce photo sizes (pixels) in order to comply with the forum requirements? Can I effect the necessary changes on my computer (2021 MacBookPro)? Or do I need to go to an internet site?
Please help an old fool.

Thanks,
Waldo

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
On your MacBook Pro (assuming it works the same as my 2011 one) open the picture in Preview, then under “Tools” look for “Resize”. Change the size to less than 1600 x 1600 pixels.
Then under “File” look for “Export“ and export your picture in jpg format.

Or try using https://resizeimage.net/ and under "7." select "Normal compression"

Scuromondo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another possibility is to email the photo to yourself from your cell phone. On my phone, just before sending the email, the phone asks whether you want the attached photo to be the original size, "large," "medium," or "small" format. I generally chose large or medium. When you receive the reduced photo from yourself, it will be small enough to use on this site.

Brian K W Lightowler

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Knobby's method of using the tool box in preview is simplest for just one photo.

Yet another way for Mac users is to insert your photo into a new document opened in 'Pages'. If the picture is in 'photos' just drag it across.
In the pages document go to <file> & <reduce file size> . this opens a box to choose what aspects of the document file need to be reduced. The default effect is to cut down the resolution of the photos, intending that the whole file can be comfortably e-mailed as a attachment. The submenu also have the option to make a copy to reduce whilst leaving the original unchanged. With that option there is a prompt to save the copy with a new name. The resulting image can subsequently be resized at a lower resolution and not condemned to being small in dimension (just fuzzy when enlarged). Using the tools of Pages particularly relevant if the image forms part of a document with text and multiple pictures.

Preparing an e-mail as per Scuromondo's suggestion is also good, utilising the tools in 'Mail'. This can be initiated by sharing the image (with yourself); don't need to actually send it. Pick the size (actual, large, medium or small) and drag the resulting reduced image onto another file which can respond to the <attach file> of the destination eg "this forum".

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

Waldo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all this. I just posted a photo to another thread, and while doing so, I discovered the Phone option, reduced to large and the posting went fine. I wish I wasn't such a duffus with computers.
W

Waldo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
After dicking around for an hour with the suggestions above, I give up!
Thanks anyway.