• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Recommend tutor books for me please?

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Since starting to learn the accordion I have been using the first Sedlon book, supplemented by other bits of sheet music as and when my tutor thought they were necessary.

I’m moving to Spain in 3 weeks time so will no longer have a tutor. I’m also at the end of the first Sedlon book.

So………… which series of tutor books (or individual books for that matter) should I use going forward on my own? Should I stick to the Sedlon series, which are hard to get hold of after the second one, move onto the Palmer Hughes series (as recommended by Rob at Birmingham Accordion Centre), or is there something else that would be better.

fjsys

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am currently working through the Palmer-Hughes series. I am currently in book 8 on the Funiculì, Funiculà tarantella, so I should have something for the tune of the month. :)

They are not bad, but they do build a little slowly. Recently I found out the series was supposed to be shorter and then stretched to the 10 books.

The other book that I have looked at is the Complete Method for Accordion by Luigi Anzaghi. I own a copy and it looks like it would be comparable to the 10 Palmer Hughes books, but I have not worked through it.

Those are my two recommendations.
Ben

pentaprism

Reaction score
It costs nothing to check this tutor out.

Ive read somewhere that it is based on the Sedlon series. Im not learning PA so cant say much about it.

Im using this book to learn C-griff CBA, and really like it.

J

Jack Campin

I found I had a copy of Magnante (books 1 and 2 - are there any more?) lying about, so I've started using that. Looks fine so far. It's quite easy to pick up second hand, I got mine in a charity shop.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know the the Sedlon books well; Books 1a 1b for sure, & think 2a 2b are still in print & can be got on Amazon - 3a&b + 4a &b come up regularly on ebay so you will be able to get them and you've got plenty of time before to find them in.
Duane Schnurs lessons are indeed on the Sedlon method books, early editions for copy write reasons, I believe. Some are better arrangements in my opinion, too & with lyrics omitted from the later prints.

Geek :ugeek: that I am on these things I have copies of all the early editions. And the complete set of current. So I could help out with scans if a hiatus reached.

And for those interested there is also Books 5 a&b too, even though think never in print in the UK.
If you do decide to 'do' the Sedlon books, it is useful to note that the 'b'books first half covers (but compresses) the material from the 'a' book - so you could skip the 'a's and go for the more compressed route of 'b's should you so desire.

One thing I dislike about Sedlon is that the print is not crisp in the later reprints - so fingering in the stave occasionally gets difficult to make out whether its a 2 3 or 5. Not a big deal as you can pencil it in clearer... but aggravating nonetheless.

Happy girl

Reaction score
It might be an idea to consider buying tutor book with a CD. Playing along with a CD will help to keep motivation high because you will know you are playing the right notes. Also your timing will be spot on.

T

Terry

I am going with Palmer-Hughes right now...that's what I started with 50+ years ago... If it was good enough for 1962...it's good enough for now!!!

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PS You could go a long way without any other books with Duane's lessons IMHO.
A disadvantage with Palmer Hughes is it omits fingering to a greater degree than Sedlon. However some believe that to be a strength rather than weakness as it forces you to 'read' the dot - not play by a kind of blend of dots & numbers- which I have a tendency to do.

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
I have Anzaghi and it seems pretty good if I would ever do it, and the old pictures are cool. Duane is the best! He has done a tremendous service to the accordion learning world, not only for the lessons but all the other resources:

http://duaneschnur.com/accordion/lessons.htm

I also have Italian Favorites for Accordion with Cd. This ia an excellently prodced, well layed out and played set. I did not recognize all the tunes so check that out before you buy it.

I have the French Songs for Accordion in the mail, for 4.95 on Amazon how could I go wrong.

In my relentless search for resources I came across Jazz Theory and Improvisation Studies for Accordion, 2nd Edition
by Ralph Stricker

I will probably buy it even though it is about $33. Anyone have this book and any comments on it?

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep Duane's a hero for Schure :) Only gripe I have is I wish he'd sort out the levels when he's speaking.. quiet speach or loud accordion.
Second, although I may do this for him, it'd be nice if an index/contents list of which tunes/execercises are in which lesson... when you want something in particular you end up opening PDF, looking, closing & opening another etc.
Minor gripes in the scheme of things, though - I am forever grateful for his efforts.

fjsys

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tom said:
In my relentless search for resources I came across Jazz Theory and Improvisation Studies for Accordion, 2nd Edition
by Ralph Stricker

I have the book and occasionally look at it, but am not ready to commit to studying it yet.
I started a thread on it a while ago:

http://www.accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=253&p=2159#p2159

As for the French Songs for accordion if it is the one with Gary Meisners arrangements they are good. (the Autumn Leaves that I recorded came from this book) My only real complaint with the book is that all of the songs are needlessly stretched across three pages, so I end up re-writing the ones I want to play with MuseScore to get them to two pages.

Ben

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Ben. yes that is the French book I ordered. Tom

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
pentaprism said:
It costs nothing to check this tutor out.

Ive read somewhere that it is based on the Sedlon series. Im not learning PA so cant say much about it.

This looks quite promising and Ill download the first batch of chapters when I get a decent internet connection.

Ive also ordered the Gary Meisner book mentioned earlier to give me something else to have a go at.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51nostgaRpL._.jpg>51nostgaRpL._.jpg

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Yup, that's the one, Knobby, let's see how we do, maybe a French tune of the month is in order at some point.

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tom said:
Yup, thats the one, Knobby, lets see how we do, maybe a French tune of the month is in order at some point.
Ill second that.

Matt Butcher

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tom said:
Yup, thats the one, Knobby, lets see how we do, maybe a French tune of the month is in order at some point.
Ill second that.[/quote]

Maybe a French theme of the month, so that people can post things they have already learned? The biggest challenge of the tune of the month is that the month is over. I dont know anything French but I think there are many on here who do.

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Tom said:

Ha! The book showed up and I see that Autumn Leaves is the first song, a former tune of the month. Which I did not know was French. I agree that French would be a good topic for a month. And this month is half over and I have not posted the simple, slow organetto tarantella as promised, better get on that.

Plus I hope that people will consider posting tune of the month even after the month is over.

jarvo

Prolific poster
Reaction score
...and the rest ...Let It Be .....which I suppose could be Laissez Faire...?

Beyond The Sea .....Au dela Mer.......?

hey ho ....I suppose they must be arranged a Francais a Musette ,peut-etre a Inspecteur Clouseau {} :tup:

george garside

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Tom said:
I have Anzaghi and it seems pretty good if I would ever do it, and the old pictures are cool. Duane is the best! He has done a tremendous service to the accordion learning world, not only for the lessons but all the other resources:

by Ralph Stricker

''improvisation studies'' sounds like a bit of a contradiction - isn't ''improvisation'' supposed to be a spontaneous activity!? - studies in how to be spontaneous seems to somehow defeat the whole object of the exercise

george

I

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Yes, seems like how to teach creativity is a mystery that has been approached by many, many teachers in many, many books, youtube lessons, etc. imho the best advice I have seen is the old standby, just do it. Ie get out and jam with real actual people. Which brings up the secondary topic, Studies for Finding People to Improvise With.