• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Real street French musette

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maugein96

Dont know where these guys are, maybe they dont always know either, but check out the accordion. What a beautiful tone from a battered instrument. I reckon hes only got about 83 buttons working on his bass side, but doubt whether he cares most of the time.

They look like a bunch of very rough diamonds, but the music is very evocative of old style Paris street music.

Great music. Those Accordiolas can realy take a beating.

Accordiola is very popular on the Dutch/Belgian second hand market.
I bought a Piano V as shown below but in white and it is about 30 years old and marked on the back with being Italian made in Castalfidado.

Accordiola was founded in 1937 in Camerano and was bought by Mengascini Nello of Catelfidardo in 1885 as far as I can make out but what happens after that is a mystery

I think the brand split between French and Belgian owners.
http://Accordiola-davits.com still exists and new instruments can be ordered there but Im not sure where they are made.

For example, you can order new ones at the site of http://muziekhuisdera.nl/accordeons/accordeons/accordiola

By the way, Accordiola due a rather unusual 5-voice instrument, the Swingmaster.
http://muziekhuisdera.nl/accordiola-swingmaster-5-korig-met-4-x-8-voet#.VAcqPFPsx8E
This has a 16 and an 8 in the cassotto as usual and then 3x8 outside the cassotto. How weird is that? :?

Attachments

• 14063-Accordeola.png
    14063-Accordeola.png
    626 KB · Views: 1,276
Well dunlustin,

I never thought anybody would know that location at all. The rest of the clips tend to be in and around Montpellier, so I reckon youd be spot-on. There is some French slang in the comments that I hadnt come across before and they might also give some clues.

First time I saw an Accordiola it was being played by Michele Boudet, and I loved the sound of it. The tone was more or less identical to the guy in the clips, a sort of brighter Cavagnolo .

Johnny Meijer, the Dutch jazzman also played Accordiolas, and it was only then I made the link with The Netherlands.

What a shame that yet another manufacturer has gone to the wall. One or two French players used them, but they never seemed to be that popular.

Thanks Maugein96 for posting this thread on French street musette. This music was what originally got me wanting to play the accordion way back in the sixties. I especially like the sound of the Accordiola, and I realise that at some point I do want to get a CBA to learn to play. I have it in my mind to get a Hohner Amati IIIM like the one you got Anyanka.

I know I spread myself widely learning to play different kinds of accordions and will never play one that well. However, I just love all types of accordions and the different sounds they produce. As long as I can play a couple of tunes on each one I'm happy.

What I usually do is learn a few scales on each accordion, listen to Youtube music played on that particular accordion and then just improvise. I am also definitely going to get a Steirische box because I really want to play Alpine music, which I attempt with my Corona, trying to imitate the YouTube clips. I don't need to be perfect, just like to get the feel of it. My grandfather was Swiss, and I have a very distant memory of his playing the accordion when I was very small.

Nathen

:b They look like a bunch of very rough diamonds...............look pretty normal to me............... :b

Good stuff though. And finding the location is superb. Best wishes to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back