• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Question about Galliano method book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobo

Reaction score
I just received the book and started looking through it. The first exercise, pg 11...Do I assume for the fingering numbers that 1 = thumb? There's no discussion.

Galliano uses what is now the most commonly used international fingering notation:-

1 - Thumb

2 - First or index

3 - Middle finger

4 - Third or ring finger

5 - Little finger.

Some older French methods use 0-1-2-3-4, with 0 being the thumb and 4 being the little finger. Don't use that notation with Galliano's book.

Good luck with his method. It has been criticised before on the forum in a previous discussion. Some people do not find his fingering logical, but it hasn't stopped him from making a lot of money out of whatever system he now uses. Personally, I always find methods which cater for PA and CBA in the same volume are a bit of a cop out, but I suppose we should be glad there are any books at all these days.

maugein96 said:
Personally, I always find methods which cater for PA and CBA in the same volume are a bit of a cop out, but I suppose we should be glad there are any books at all these days.
Seems like a CBA book at heart. the key signatures are presented in an order that introduces all three scale patterns: C/Am , G/ Em, F/ Dm
Richard Galliano did the CBA fingerings. His father did the PA fingerings

Hi Dan,

In the early learning stages I suppose it doesn't really matter whether a particular method book is written to cater for both PA and CBA. I've never played PA so don't know what the difference is. As a dyed in the wool CBA player I just wouldn't advise any new student to learn from anything other than a book which specifically caters for CBA. In fact no book I've ever seen goes into CBA deep enough to make much difference, so maybe my way of thinking is off the mark.

I reached virtuoso status just playing my own way, but unfortunately I woke up in the middle of the performance!

I already got through half the book...in my head. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back