• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Qualified accordion & voice teachers in Toronto/Mississauga

Status
Not open for further replies.
H
Hi Yaroslav, you should not count on learning to play all of styles which you have listed all at once because this will take many years. If you continue making excuses then you won't learn any styles at all. Learning takes small steps and if you are a beginner any progress is good. If you continue playing then you will have more experience and know how to choose the best teacher. Even if you are an exceptional student your instructor will find some fault with your progress because this is their job so you have to learn to accept criticism.

It is probably impossible to expect a music teacher to help you choose a great instrument for a very low price because this is not their job. Choosing an accordion is not easy and you probably won't get what you want the first time, especially for a bargain price. A high quality accordion will be expensive and you need to accept that, most of us started playing on simple instruments until it made sense to purchase something really special. Keep working and with time you will achieve your goals if you work toward them.
I know, but if a teacher says that a student doesn't have any special talents for music without any tips how to practice and improve necessary skills, it's not a criticism, it's harassment and bullying, and at this point, this teacher shows his laziness. And one more point, at the beginning, a student is dependent on teacher, on teacher's tips and feedback, and if feedback provides without careful, it can destroy desire of student to learn.
I have dedication and desire to learn music, because I love it

Yaroslav – I hope you may find what follows is useful:
Following a disappointment, you looked for a ‘2nd opinion’ on your response. This is a mature response – probably beyond the average - for your 24 years.
At least until the age of 35-40, most people seek confirmation from others. We trust qualifications and look to our bosses for ‘validation’ in many ways.
From around 40 we trust own judgement more - have less need for outside approval. Some people get there when older – some never, just relying on work or acquiring more ‘stuff.’

There many ways to make music and many ways to be an ineffective teacher. A virtuoso does not necessarily make the most effective teacher. Maybe your teacher was right but don’t count on it.
It’s hard to give advice in a vacuum but here goes...Expect respect from your teacher - an explanation of where you are going with your lessons, the why/what of a lesson, your achievements and what is next.
You would benefit from a clearer idea of what you hope to gain from your learning. Do you hope to sing Mozart, 1950s Rock or Irish Folksong?
I understand your aims may not be fully formed but some idea is important.
No my teacher wasn't right, because his teaching skills were very low he didn't explain how to put hands correctly didn't talk how much time I need to have for practice at home per day, he was interested in money not more, and I don't have amusia.

There are lazy students, but there are bad teachers too, I have the second situation
Maybe you would be better off without trying to find a teacher. Many people are self taught successfully. You could use the many teaching videos on youtube, such as Liberty Bellows or Dale Mathis, and ask questions on this forum for help.

Maybe you would be better off without trying to find a teacher. Many people are self taught successfully. You could use the many teaching videos on youtube, such as Liberty Bellows or Dale Mathis, and ask questions on this forum for help.
Ok thank you, to be honest, I consider this way of learning too, but I will use it if I will not find a teacher.

Ok thank you, to be honest, I consider this way of learning too, but I will use it if I will not find a teacher.
Ok, let's change this up a bit. Let's call this a little tough love.

Instead of you telling us what you want, and how you were mistreated, and how hard things are for you, how little time you have... how about you tell us what you are actively doing to achieve your goals?

Many good people here are responding to you, actively giving you GREAT info, solid advice... what do they get in return? That you are too busy... that you will do something *IF* you cannot find this magical perfect instructor that you don't have time to find.

Sorry, I am seeing a lot of excuses, and not a lot of action.

While you are out there doing "nothing" because you are busy in college (for perhaps what, 30 hours out of a possible168 hours in a week?), you are also not playing or learning accordion that you tell everyone here that you really want to learn.

With or without an instructor that is something that you will need to do all by yourself everyday if you want to learn accordion. Your instructor won't be there day and night for you, your growth is your responsibility.

You ask how much time to practice? Well right now you are doing 0, so even 10 minutes is better than 0. Oh, you are doing 10 minutes? Good... do 30. Oh, already doing 30 minutes and don't have more available time? Then good start... but that is all that is, the start. Learn to do what is needed to accomplish your goals and dreams. As a small example, if I want to play an hour a day and still have a job, I get up at 4:00AM so that I can have time to play, even if it is for 30 minutes! I play another 30 minutes in the evening. I do what I need to do because I have my own goals and desires... but I am actively perusing them, not just talking!

More solid advice time... the ONLY person responsible for making you an accordion player, is YOU, not your teacher, not your family, not your friends, just YOU. They all can support you, but you are the one that has to press the buttons and pull the bellows. There is no secret magic easy method, the more time you put in to playing ANYTHING (at your beginner level), is time well spent.

How much time each day do you play? How much time each day do you dedicate to finding that teacher?

Don't answer the question here, it's not important for us to know... but if the answer is 0, that is exactly how much closer you are to attaining your goals. Oh, these are just wishes and not goals? Then why are you posting asking? Again, not an answer you need to post here, but is a question you should be asking yourself.

Me personally, I've said my final 2 cents and won't be participating in this thread anymore. If there is something that I can do for you, you will contact me privately in a PM. I am open to talking and seeing if I can help some, but I am not open to being your shoulder to cry on if that is your only goal. If you come to me, I will expect you to return the favor and show active progress... not excuses.

Last edited:
Ok, let's change this up a bit. Let's call this a little tough love.

Instead of you telling us what you want, and how you were mistreated, and how hard things are for you, how little time you have... how about you tell us what you are actively doing to achieve your goals?

Many good people here are responding to you, actively giving you GREAT info, solid advice... what do they get in return? That you are too busy... that you will do something *IF* you cannot find this magical perfect instructor that you don't have time to find.

Sorry, I am seeing a lot of excuses, and not a lot of action.

While you are out there doing "nothing" because you are busy in college (for perhaps what, 30 hours out of a possible168 hours in a week?), you are also not playing or learning accordion that you tell everyone here that you really want to learn.

With or without an instructor that is something that you will need to do all by yourself everyday if you want to learn accordion. Your instructor won't be there day and night for you, your growth is your responsibility.

You ask how much time to practice? Well right now you are doing 0, so even 10 minutes is better than 0. Oh, you are doing 10 minutes? Good... do 30. Oh, already doing 30 minutes and don't have more available time? Then good start... but that is all that is, the start. Learn to do what is needed to accomplish your goals and dreams. As a small example, if I want to play an hour a day and still have a job, I get up at 4:00AM so that I can have time to play, even if it is for 30 minutes! I play another 30 minutes in the evening. I do what I need to do because I have my own goals and desires... but I am actively perusing them, not just talking!

More solid advice time... the ONLY person responsible for making you an accordion player, is YOU, not your teacher, not your family, not your friends, just YOU. They all can support you, but you are the one that has to press the buttons and pull the bellows. There is no secret magic easy method, the more time you put in to playing ANYTHING (at your beginner level), is time well spent.

How much time each day do you play? How much time each day do you dedicate to finding that teacher?

Don't answer the question here, it's not important for us to know... but if the answer is 0, that is exactly how much closer you are to attaining your goals. Oh, these are just wishes and not goals? Then why are you posting asking? Again, not an answer you need to post here, but is a question you should be asking yourself.

Me personally, I've said my final 2 cents and won't be participating in this thread anymore. If there is something that I can do for you, you will contact me privately in a PM. I am open to talking and seeing if I can help some, but I am not open to being your shoulder to cry on if that is your only goal. If you come to me, I will expect you to return the favor and show active progress... not excuses.
It seems a bit rude from you, but I can answer on your questions.
I play 2 hours per day, and I spend 1 hour to find a teacher.
I didn't ask you to be my own shoulder, I just asked what to do with a teacher who behaves unacceptable with students, that's it.
And I want to play music which is famous for everyone.
I know, that is my responsibility to do all of that, I just asked for advice how to back up to learn accordion after bad words from the teacher.

It seems a bit rude from you, but I can answer on your questions.
I play 2 hours per day, and I spend 1 hour to find a teacher.
I didn't ask you to be my own shoulder, I just asked what to do with a teacher who behaves unacceptable with students, that's it.
And I want to play music which is famous for everyone.
I know, that is my responsibility to do all of that, I just asked for advice how to back up to learn accordion after bad words from the teacher.
Well for someone so "sensitive" you took that rather well. But you cannot say that it was not an undeserved response, which does route back to the root cause.

" I just asked what to do with a teacher who behaves unacceptable with students, that's it"
What do YOU think you should do?

" I just asked for advice how to back up to learn accordion after bad words from the teacher."
No, you asked for advice on where to look for good teachers, that was given several times over.

"And I want to play music which is famous for everyone."
Possibly a language barrier, because that does not mean anything clear to me. Do you want to become famous? Do you want to play famous music?

In that last hour, where did you call, and to whom did you speak to?
In the last 2 hours session, what did you practice?

If anything was discovered, its that you require not a teacher that motivates you, but someone with a strong rather than passive personality and teaching style... someone that holds you accountable. That's ok, it was that very same style of teacher where I made my biggest advances. ;)

Well for someone so "sensitive" you took that rather well. But you cannot say that it was not an undeserved response, which does route back to the root cause.

" I just asked what to do with a teacher who behaves unacceptable with students, that's it"
What do YOU think you should do?

" I just asked for advice how to back up to learn accordion after bad words from the teacher."
No, you asked for advice on where to look for good teachers, that was given several times over.

"And I want to play music which is famous for everyone."
Possibly a language barrier, because that does not mean anything clear to me. Do you want to become famous? Do you want to play famous music?

In that last hour, where did you call, and to whom did you speak to?
In the last 2 hours session, what did you practice?

If anything was discovered, its that you require not a teacher that motivates you, but someone with a strong rather than passive personality and teaching style... someone that holds you accountable. That's ok, it was that very same style of teacher where I made my biggest advances. ;)
Probably, I know what to do, and I have clearly decided that I will continue to learn accordion and singing.

For two hours, I am practicing on arpeggios, scales by two hands at least. Play melodies by ear

Probably, I know what to do, and I have clearly decided that I will continue to learn accordion and singing.

For two hours, I am practicing on arpeggios, scales by two hands at least.
Time to create your own thread and post videos of where you are and how you advance.

This post is going all over the place. We haven’t even established at what stage of your learning curve you are currently at. Playing scales and “two handed” arpeggios (are you playing melody base?) for two hours will never allow you to progress to playing “famous “ songs. You need to play music.

Do you read musical notation?
Do you have access to some basic accordion method books?
Do you wish to play and sing at the same time?

There is no perfect teacher. If you are basically a beginner then simply select another at random and see how you get on. If it doesn’t work out then change. At your age it will be no great loss. If you are a more advanced player you should know what you are looking for already and after one lesson you will know enough.

This post is going all over the place. We haven’t even established at what stage of your learning curve you are currently at. Playing scales and “two handed” arpeggios (are you playing melody base?) for two hours will never allow you to progress to playing “famous “ songs. You need to play music.

Do you read musical notation?
Do you have access to some basic accordion method books?
Do you wish to play and sing at the same time?

There is no perfect teacher. If you are basically a beginner then simply select another at random and see how you get on. If it doesn’t work out then change. At your age it will be no great loss. If you are a more advanced player you should know what you are looking for already and after one lesson you will know enough.
1. I read music notation
2. I purchased them week ago and waiting for delivery
3. Yes, I want to play and sign

My current level is upper-beginner. I play some melodies but I still don't have my own repertoire where I can apply my knowledge and techniques, and improve them. Plus, I am working on ear training practice.

I just wait when this pandemic will finish, as I prefer lessons in-person rather than online in music.

Then I advise you to pick any teacher. Your previous teacher, even if bad, must have given you some work books. Use these and the new ones you have ordered until you are happy that the pandemic is over then pick any new teacher and simply give them a try.

With that I think we can close this thread.
Please report back when you have had some lessons with your new teacher.

Then I advise you to pick any teacher. Your previous teacher, even if bad, must have given you some work books. Use these and the new ones you have ordered until you are happy that the pandemic is over then pick any new teacher and simply give them a try.

With that I think we can close this thread.
Please report back when you have had some lessons with your new teacher.
My previous teacher even didn't have any books. Unfortunately

My advice to you, Yaroslav:

Pick ONE song that you love that is within your range of playing. Could be a simple folk tune from your homeland, in fact I recommend it. Name the song here in your next post.

Learn the song well enough to play it from memory. Play it for someone else. Record it and listen to yourself playing. Post the recording here. You can do it, it's just one song. Sing with it if you so desire. Posting yourself playing here will confirm that you have what it takes to succeed. Ask for help with posting if you need it.

Repeat with a new song each week for 21 weeks. Where have we heard this before?

That's it, that's all you need to do to become an accordion player. Learn songs and play them. In the words of a musician much more famous than me: "You don't need no education. You don't need no thought control. After all, you're just an another accordion player in the fall."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back