• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Purchased used FIAS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrMagoo

Recently purchased a used piano accordion: FIAS Stradella : 120 bass buttons with 6 switches plus 1 master switch and full RH keyboard with 15 switches ( some duplicates ) and 1 master switch using your chin for the master switch.

This is my very first and only piano accordion and am rather excited to learn how to play it. I play electronic keyboards so the RH is no problem although playing a keyboard on my stomach is odd for me at this time but im sure i will get the hang of it. Now the LH is a different thing for me to learn. The book i the seller gave me makes it look easy and complex .

Depressing the swithes LH or RH seem very stiff. Should I use WD40 to make them work with ease ?

I dont know how many reeds there are for the RH or the LH.

The guy that sold me the accordion talked about using beeswax for tuning the reeds or something like that. Should i do something about tuning it although testing the accordion sounds to my electronic keyboard and also a tuner and my mouth organs they were in tune.

Unfortunately i do not own a digital camera to post pictures to help you folks understand what piano accordion it is i own.

Since this is my very first posting at this forum hope the mod accepts it and if not at least tells me what i have done wrong to help me in future postings.

Comments and suggestions welcomed to help me understand this instrument and help me play it soon.
[/font]

No WD40 absolutely not. You do not say how old the accordion is or its general condition. There must be another reason why everything is stiff to play but I am sure it's nothing to do with a lack of lubricants.

Welcome!
If it sounds in tune, leave well alone. You may decide you want to have more/less tremolo as time goes on - find a techie, I suggest.
Wax is used to attach the reed to its frame ( on some instruments they are pinned on instead). Wax may become brittle with age in which case the reeds fall out and you will notice!
You can learn a lot here:
http://www.accordionrevival.com/
From your description you seem to have a quality instrument - lots of registers and a chin switch arent usually found on starter instruments.

Glenn said:
You do not say how old the accordion is or its general condition.

Thanks for your response and interest in my question.

The guy that sold it said he bought it in the late 50s or brought it into the country in the late 50s. It was rather hard to understand him at the best of times in our conversation because of his very thick Italian accent ( i mean no offense by my reference to his accent ).

The accordion is actually in good condition for an instrument that is about 60 years old with no broken buttons or piano keys. The bellows are in excellent shape. The guy mentioned i should use some kind of soft cloth on my left leg when sitting down to play it. He said that saves the bellows. Not sure i really understand that but thats what i am doing. On the RH side very bottom the plastic finish is worn away or seems to look as if it may have hit the floor somehow. It does not affect the sound only looks bad if you were to hold the accordion upside down or when you look at it when it is sitting on its legs ( if thats what you call it ). He also showed me how to place the accordion in side the special padded case that really looked brand new but did show signs ( nothing ripped or torn ) of the accordion being stored in side it.

I dont think the guy was giging with this accordion since he appeared to be very very fussy with it when he was showing it to me and actually broke down in tears when we shook hands on the deal. He said because of his age and all his arthritis it has not been played for over 4 or 5 years and also he was downsizing to move to a seniors home. I feel confident the guy was not scamming me with his explanation of why he was selling his beloved accordion and in fact it brought me to tears also.

dunlustin said:
Welcome!
If it sounds in tune, leave well alone. You may decide you want to have more/less tremolo as time goes on - find a techie, I suggest.
Wax is used to attach the reed to its frame ( on some instruments they are pinned on instead). Wax may become brittle with age in which case the reeds fall out and you will notice!
You can learn a lot here:
http://www.accordionrevival.com/
From your description you seem to have a quality instrument - lots of registers and a chin switch arent usually found on starter instruments.

Thanks for your response to my posting and the url provide me with great information. Still trying to read and absorb it all.

Incidentally what does the name as shown on a metal name plate FIAS Stradella tell you about this instrument ?

Anyways, i am very much excited :b about learning how to play this instrument before i start worrying about tuning etc.

MrMagoo said:
Should I use WD40 to make them work with ease ?
Oil and similar things should be avoided. It collects dust and you dont want dust in the accordion.

That tag tells you that your Fisarmonica (Accordion) was made by Fabbrica Italiana Armoniche Stradella (FIAS) in Stradella Italy {}

Interesting Jim. Is that a silicon spray?

Yes Ed; It's basically the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back