• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Problem with stored accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

booeyschewy

I have an old italian 5-row cba. I've been particulary busy and didn't play it for like 6 months. It sat in it's case in my house. Today I opened it and the billows is not as strong, and there's maybe 3 notes that play in all registers in and out without pressing any buttons. Any ideas what may have gone wrong? Heat? Wax? I know optimally it should be played and not stored :(

G

goldtopia

The 2 worse places to store an accordion is in the attic and garage.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My guess is curled up leathers. And maybe the gasket dried up if leather or shrunk.

T

Terry

goldtopia said:
The 2 worse places to store an accordion is in the attic and garage.

So 20+ years in a damp cellar is better than 6 months in an attic or garage I guess.

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hear storage in submarines is ill advised.

T

Terry

At least after 20 years of storage underground, my Silvertone/Scandalli only makes noise when I push the keys/buttons. (but it IS a VERY basic accordion...fewer moving parts)

Good luck, booeyschewy.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not always practical, but storage out of its case, protected from dust (under a towel etc) in a normal room (not loft, basement, bathroom, or garage (unless dry & warm)) is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.