• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Please help with value [GUERRINI OXFORD 3]

szunajski

Reaction score
Hi all!

Happy new year! I hope your new year resolutions include more accordion practice/playing time!

I am seeking your help in estimating value of one of the accordions I recently acquired.
The accordion is GUERRINI OXFROD 3
- 4 voices LMMM (Musette)
- 9 Registers on treble side
- (I think) 5 voices on bass side
- 96 BASS
- 2 Registers on bass side

Reeds in the accordion are made by cagnoni. Not sure which line exactly.

I am not sure if this is authentic Guerrini and what is exact value of it. I seen very similar instrument was sold for 3,499 USD:
(Although it was 11 registers, tuned LMMH)

https://www.libertybellows.com/shop...6IlyJvA9-8rXvnoB8RF6FqcNfAck3r0ISFn6zor_Zj51U

I am not sure what i want to do with it. I am learning how to play and i use Weltmeister for my practice.
I think my skills are way too low for Guerrini accordion.

I am debating in my head if i should give it to professional repair shop to bring to to perfect condition and then sell it or sell it as it is now.

I would like to read your opinions.

Thank you in advance,
Regards,

Guerrini 1.jpgGuerrini 2.jpgGuerrini3.jpgGuerrini 4.jpgGuerrini5.jpgGuerrini6.jpgGuerrini7.jpgGuerrini8.jpgGuerrini9.jpgGuerrini 1.jpgGuerrini 1.jpgGuerrini 2.jpgGuerrini3.jpgGuerrini 4.jpgGuerrini5.jpgGuerrini6.jpgGuerrini7.jpgGuerrini8.jpgGuerrini9.jpg

Welcome Szunajski! It’s a beautiful accordion that seems in really good shape. There are a couple reed leathers that could use a little help, but overall looks good. I could not get $3,900 for this accordion in my locale but probably a fair price when new or immaculate shape.

I recommend optimism. You are a dedicated musician with developing talent. This will be a really nice accordion for you when you feel ready. You will have a hard time replacing it for what you can get for it so I recommend playing it everyday for 2 hours.

Good luck!!!!!!

I am debating in my head if i should give it to professional repair shop to bring to to perfect condition and then sell it or sell it as it is now.
Everyone underestimates the cost of accordion repairs and maintenance. Bringing it to perfect condition for the sake of selling it may only be worth it if you have uncommonly affordable access to a repair technician.

On the other hand, it might increase your investment enough that you cannot in good conscience sell it for what you can get, until such a time that you are a good enough player in your estimate to just keep playing it (and why not play it while it is not yet sold?).

Note: a good instrument is never wasted on a player: the added responsiveness and differentiation helps a lot with getting better since the instrument rewards improvements in your skills more obviously and more overall than a more modest instrument.

Everyone underestimates the cost of accordion repairs and maintenance. Bringing it to perfect condition for the sake of selling it may only be worth it if you have uncommonly affordable access to a repair technician…
^^^ This is true - don’t ask how I know.

You don’t mention any issues with the instrument - what needs to be fixed?

I had an Oxford 2 (LMM) and it was a light, easy to play, well made instrument. Keep it, and one day you will be glad that you did. I regret selling mine.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input!
I appreciate your encourage to keep it and use it! I think I will do so. I don't think i will ever have my hands again on such a wonderful instrument!
I contacted repair shop to get quote and in generally asked for their option too. (Wanted to see what would they recommend). Lets see what they say.

@Wheezer The bass registers were stuck. (I am handy and fixed it. It took a while because to get access i needed to disassemble entire bass mechanism. )Other than that, the body is in not best shape, small scratches, dents, there is one round hole (I think it is left after the microphone connector) it is taped now. I am not expert but i believe it needs to be tuned to. i don't hear it is out of tune, but professional would certainty notice something.

Thank your again for your answers!

I have an Oxford 3 LMMM that I bought new in 1986. If I recall correctly I paid $1200 for it. Mine was probably built a different year as the Oxford 3 logo is different and mine does not have the color shield on the grill. It has the best 3 reed musette sound of any accordion I have owned, but unfortunately the worst keyboard action. Not bad by any means, but all my other accordions are easier to play.

@Wheezer The bass registers were stuck. (I am handy and fixed it. It took a while because to get access i needed to disassemble entire bass mechanism. )
Being handy certainly helps with playing an accordion. Here is rule #1 about being handy: don't oil things. An accordion constantly pumps outside air through containing microscopic dust and lint. Any amount of oil will serve as a yuck trap and will eventually end up being a sticky film slowing everything down, and that's assuming you have chosen modern synthetic oils that don't crack into sticky resins over time by themselves.

Last edited:
Being handy certainly helps with playing an accordion. Here is ruile #1 about being handy: don't oil things. An accordion constantly pumps outside air through containing microscopic dust and lint. Any amount of oil will serve as a yuck trap and will eventually end up being a sticky film slowing everything down, and that's assuming you have chosen modern synthetic oils that don't crack into sticky resins over time by themselves.
I have been wondering - is it ok to use teflon or graphite lubricants on accordion mechanisms?

I have been wondering - is it ok to use teflon or graphite lubricants on accordion mechanisms?
All in all, not a good idea. The main "lubricant" for accordion mechanics is aluminum smear/ruboff. There are no parts with such a mechanical load that you'd need to transport off heat. There are no significant forces involved. Sliding friction tends to be proportional to the pressure of the parts against each other (usually very little), but in the case of lubrication, to the touching areas which tends to be a lousy tradeoff. Also to the movement speed which means that you brake down every movement effected by small springs. Without lubrication, things either stick or move, but when they move, there is no braking.

If there is incessant obnoxious squeeking which you cannot get under control otherwise, that would be a case for making a targeted exception. But most of the cases calling for lubrication in mechanical parts do not similarly do so inside accordions.

Last edited:
There is a DRY graphite that WD40 makes, but before applying, make sure that there is no old gunk on the parts AND be very careful and meticulous with its use. Cover up all areas around it so nothing gets inside to the reeds.

agreed for the dry graphite.. i also have a few old and very soft fat graphite
drawing pencils, and i have used them to precisely deliver a bit of slippery
to the right spots, like the edges of the holes before i slip the pivot rod back
in on a re-padded accordion project, and i will rub the rod itself with a clean
soft cloth with a dab of that dry graphite on it too..

i also run the pencil in the groove the spring has made in the wood under the keys too
and the spot the winding bumps.. maybe it keeps things quiet, maybe it makes
no difference.. but when something is opened up anyway, why not do a bit more
than necessary ?

and don't forget the felt strip

Back