• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Please.!!! Help me identify my great grandfather’s accordion.

Jp925

Reaction score
Hello yall, I’m new here and trying to identify my great grandfathers accordion. I’m thinking it’s from the 50s and maybe older and definitely German made. He came here from Germany around that time. I have taken as far apart as I feel comfortable doing myself and the only marking I can see is a #26 on the inside. If anyone has information on what this may be that would be great. I have attached some photos of it as well as a black and white picture of him with it which is what makes me think it’s from the 50s or older. That’s about when color photos came out but they were expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_3700.jpeg
    IMG_3700.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3698.jpeg
    IMG_3698.jpeg
    395.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3697.jpeg
    IMG_3697.jpeg
    495.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3699.jpeg
    IMG_3699.jpeg
    445.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3696.jpeg
    IMG_3696.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3695.jpeg
    IMG_3695.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3692.jpeg
    IMG_3692.jpeg
    382.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3690.jpeg
    IMG_3690.jpeg
    483 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3689.jpeg
    IMG_3689.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 20
Hi JP, and welcome!🙂
What you have here is not so much an accordion but a large variety of concertina called a Chemnitzer ( or, possibly, a Bandoneon - they are somewhat similar!🙂).
The chemnizer is much favoured by "polka style " bands of Polish/ Polish-German ethnicity, the bandoneon by South Americans ( eg Argentinians for various South American genres eg, the Tango.
But they can also be played by others 🙂.
Here's a Chemnitzer in action :
Also, see here:
And here, a typical Chemnitzer group:
Demonstration of a Chemnitzer (for sale by Liberty Bellows)🙂
They can be quite gregarious at times:
(Birds of a feather flock together?🤔🙂)
Much more available on YouTube 🙂

Last edited:
Another with Maureen Dwyer ("John the workman")
As you can see, the Chemnitzer is "diatonic ", which simply means that, when playing, each button gives one note when you push the bellows inwards and a different note when you pull the bellows outwards.🙂

Last edited:
Hello yall, I’m new here and trying to identify my great grandfathers accordion. I’m thinking it’s from the 50s and maybe older and definitely German made. He came here from Germany around that time. I have taken as far apart as I feel comfortable doing myself and the only marking I can see is a #26 on the inside. If anyone has information on what this may be that would be great. I have attached some photos of it as well as a black and white picture of him with it which is what makes me think it’s from the 50s or older. That’s about when color photos came out but they were expensive.
I don't know anything about that kind of box, but it is real pretty!!

Back