• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Pigini Sirius Millenium versus Pigini Nòva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedro Javier

Reaction score
Hello everyone, could someone tell me what are the differences between the Sirius Millenium and Nòva models of the Italian brand Pigini? Do you think these differences justify the great price difference between the two models?

Why not contact Pigini directly and ask? You may have to use Google translate, as Italian accordion manufacturers are notorious for not replying to anything but Italian, even bad, improper google Italian.

That said... the old adage of "you get what you pay for" rings true for accordions like anything else.

In fact I contacted the company through their distributor, the only real difference pointed out by them was the voices; the Nòva model includes the so-called “turbo reeds”, which I don't know if they are a real advantage over the Sirius. In other respects the answers were more vague (for example, “different treatments” for the materials) or were limited to the aesthetic section (for example, genuine mother-of-pearl buttons, different mask design, and so on). The price difference between the two models is neither more nor less than $10,000... I agree with the adage, but it seems excessive in this case.

Hi Pedro, you didn't say if you are looking at piano or chromatic. The Pigini webside does have an English section and lists specifications for these accordions. A quick glance shows that the nova is a basic, introductory instrument while the millennium is a more upgraded model with hand made reeds and more options. I suspect the price difference reflects this. Good luck!

Somehow I missed this post when it first came along. I had the pleasure to briefly experience the Sirius Millenium and the Nova at the World Music Festival in 2019. The Nova is of course the top of the line model, with the best reeds you can buy nowadays (probably the same reeds in the top of the line from other brands too). But the mechanics are also different. The Nova is lighter to the touch, more pleasurable to play than the Sirius. But of course there is a hefty price difference, and the amount of money saved by getting a Sirius instead of a Nova gives pleasure in a more economic sense, because the Sirius is a joy to play, with very good sound (if you like Pigini sound) and unless you play them side by side you wouldn't know there is still a more expensive option that sounds a tiny bit differently.

Thanks Paul, I finally ordered a Sirius Millenium because the price difference seemed unacceptable to me without really knowing in detail what the advantages of the Nòva were. On the other hand, the Sirius has been on the market for much longer and I think everyone agrees that it is a great instrument. In particular I have always preferred the sound of top-of-the-line Russian models (Jupiter, Akko), but it is almost impossible to buy one of them safely from South America and I have heard from bad experiences in terms of the reliability of some instruments (from the Jupiter brand in particular).

Thanks Paul, I finally ordered a Sirius Millenium because the price difference seemed unacceptable to me without really knowing in detail what the advantages of the Nòva were. On the other hand, the Sirius has been on the market for much longer and I think everyone agrees that it is a great instrument. In particular I have always preferred the sound of top-of-the-line Russian models (Jupiter, Akko), but it is almost impossible to buy one of them safely from South America and I have heard from bad experiences in terms of the reliability of some instruments (from the Jupiter brand in particular).
I hope you are not expecting the Pigini Sirius Bayan to sound like a Jupiter or Akko, because it doesn't. It's a fine Italian bayan-shaped accordion with Italian reeds. The very first generation of the Sirius was almost an exact copy of the Jupiter of that time, but with Italian reeds, and corresponding sound. They tried a very limited edition with Russian plates (only 32 were built) but that was a one-time deal. The later Sirius Bayans moved away from the Russian setup a bit more. The first ones did not offer registers on the bass side, except for switches to get 2, 4 or 5 reed base notes (i.e. lowest octave). Newer ones now have a "normal" set of bass registers, thus offering what people expect when they buy an Italian accordion.

I hope you are not expecting the Pigini Sirius Bayan to sound like a Jupiter or Akko, because it doesn't. It's a fine Italian bayan-shaped accordion with Italian reeds. The very first generation of the Sirius was almost an exact copy of the Jupiter of that time, but with Italian reeds, and corresponding sound. They tried a very limited edition with Russian plates (only 32 were built) but that was a one-time deal. The later Sirius Bayans moved away from the Russian setup a bit more. The first ones did not offer registers on the bass side, except for switches to get 2, 4 or 5 reed base notes (i.e. lowest octave). Newer ones now have a "normal" set of bass registers, thus offering what people expect when they buy an Italian accordion.
No Paul, I don't expect it to sound like a real Russian bayan, it's something I had to compromise. Although I prefer the sound of a Russian bayan, the sound of Pigini also seems wonderful to me and it was a much safer purchase (there is an authorized distributor in my country), among other advantages such as better after-sales service and aesthetics and construction that seem better to me.

...Although I prefer the sound of a Russian bayan, the sound of Pigini also seems wonderful to me and it was a much safer purchase (there is an authorized distributor in my country), among other advantages such as better after-sales service and aesthetics and construction that seem better to me.
This is a very wise decision. Outside of the former Soviet block it's hard to get service for a Russian bayan. Even when you are a repairer it can be hard just to source the right parts you may need.
I really love playing my AKKO bayan, but if I had to do it all over again, I doubt I would go for a Russian one again!

I assume you are referring to the legendary Pigini Mythos, it is an instrument that intrigues me a lot from an organological point of view, however, I think its sound is much closer to that of an Italian chromatic button accordion than that of a Russian bayan. It also bothers me that it was a limited edition, it seems to me more a commercial strategy than anything else because, again, I highly doubt that its sound or touch is far enough from other top-of-the-line models to justify its being an absolutely unaffordable instrument.

This is a very wise decision. Outside of the former Soviet block it's hard to get service for a Russian bayan. Even when you are a repairer it can be hard just to source the right parts you may need.
I really love playing my AKKO bayan, but if I had to do it all over again, I doubt I would go for a Russian one again!
It is very interesting to know your experience, the timbre and power of the bayan AKKO surprises and amazes me, it is a pity that it is so difficult to get and maintain that type of Russian instruments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back