• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Pigalle

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirralaccordion

Reaction score
As per the post above I have searched for this on google et al and not been able to find the music beyond the first page. Can anyone please give me a link to the sheet music. Thanks.

I have it in one of my French books. Full piano and lyrics...funny you should ask, I am doing a French gig tomorrow. One of the songs on the list. Did you look at Musicnotes.com?
https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0112488
They have the accordion music but looks like only the second part. Piano version above is what I have. 1st part of the song is important. Do not see it in the accordion version...

There is an accordion version in the Frank Marocco book:
Frank Marocco: Jazz Accordeon Volume 1

but I don't know of any online (and I am assuming free...) source for the arrangement.

Re versions on Youtube I love this guys playing ( and his accordion )

Hi Phil,

This tune was attempted by all the French pro accordionists, and IMHO not a single one of them was able to make a decent job of it on the French type CBAs. It is one of several French chanson numbers that tend to sound better on a PA. Unfortunately the composer/singer, Georges Ulmer, was a Dane, and sang the tune in his Copenhagen accent, which did not really cut it. That may have been the reason why most musette players tended to play it tongue in cheek. Ulmer pronounces Metro as Metwo, instead of voicing the fricative French r that is a trademark of Parisian French. Most Danes pronounce the letter r the same as Geordies in England. In other words they dont pronounce it at all!

Jerrys version is one of the best Ive heard and I hope he can find the score for you. However, I managed to work this whole tune out in my head as it was so popular, regardless of who wrote it and sang it in whatever accent. It isnt too difficult, and is usually played in C. There is one passage which changes to Cm, but other than that it is fairly straightforward.

Here is a link to the one French accordionist, Maurice Larcange, who IMHO made a half decent job of playing it, but even then he was assisted by a studio orchestra, and a hell of a lot of multi tracking.

FWIW most French CBA players tend to play it too fast, and that together with the now normal two voice americain tuning of their instruments makes it sound pretty thin. PA players tend to take a more leisurely approach to French musette, and although that tends to detract from most musette style tunes (to we CBA types), it often works better for the chanson type of music like this one.

Phil,

Found the whole score, and here is a link to the French source. They have enabled a photo of the score for public viewing on the site. and you should be able to work it out if you can blow the image up. I knew the original never ran to anything like three pages, and youll see it only stretches to a page and a third.

This is the original version, and I appreciate that may not have been the one you were looking for. There are various other scores of it available to suit brass and woodwind instruments, and I daresay there will be other adaptations to suit various accordionists preferences. Hopefully it will at least get you through the tune.

https://www.partitions-anciennes.co...288-pigalle-georges-ulmer-géo-koger-1945.html

Status
Not open for further replies.