• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Piccolo

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunlustin

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone explain Piccolo tuning please?
I should add a bit more:
I understand a piccolo reed (shorthand 4') is tuned an octave above the usual melody register, called flute (shorthand 8')
but
I have seen an eboy Hohner advertised as a "Piccolo" model - written on the instrument
It is a 2-voice and the registers show one or two dots side by side in the central section - not in the top part.
48 bass so I'm guessing a "student" model.
A member talking about something else said "piccolo tuning is the way to go."
I'd have thought an accordion with piccolo reeds as the main set would be very treble and not that useful.
Your thoughts would be very welcome.

Given your information, I expect it is just the name of the model. 'Piccolo' = 'small' in Italian, so a 48-bass 2 voice would fit that description.

i see on the advert for the hohner polyphonic it said 'piccolo tuning'

I would love some information on all the tunings and shorthand if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Piccolo is the Italian word for "Small" Hence some small musical instruments are called Piccolo. There is a unique tuning for the bass guitar called piccolo but in the case of accordions as far as I know piccolo tuning means the instrument contains a set of (H) or piccolo reeds. JIM D.

Piccolo tuning is typically the name given to 4 voice instruments that are LMMH.
In other words have a bass reed set, 2 treble sets and as poccolo set. The second treble set is detuned.
With a full set of couplers, you can switch in any arrangement of reeds.
On my Burini I can switch all possible combinations except silent (a valid mathematical combination but not very musical ).
I find this tuning is very flexible for all sorts of styles.

Musette tuning is LMMM on the other hand.
Many 4 voice instruments can be ordered in either.
My old Marinucci is of this type.

Thanks to you all for your responses.Knobby's Hohner list has a Piccolo model listed.
There seems to be 2 options:
It's a Piccolo because it is small
It's a Piccolo because it has 4' reeds (on 2 voices!)
I've contacted the seller.
I noticed afterwards that the 48bass is not 4 X 12 but 6 X 8.
And that to my mind is quite limiting. - guess I'll probably keep looking.

Glenn said:

<HIGHLIGHT highlight="#bfff80">[highlight=#bfff80]On my Burini I can switch all possible combinations except silent (a valid mathematical combination but not very musical ).[/highlight]</HIGHLIGHT>

My neighbours might not agree with that....trhey may even club me.....I mean club round and get me one :lol:

Permanently set to that one setting ! :cool:

Jarvo

My Pigini Wing has piccolo (H) reeds in addition to swing-tuned MM reeds and L reeds, but they can't be played by themselves. I find the "fake" musette of HMM very unpleasant, but there's an HM and an HL combination that are quite fun, although I rarely use them for long...

Thanks for that Anyanka.
I emailed the seller but got no reply to date. To be fair, if I received a letter in Geman I wouldn't know what to do with it.
I think on balance in this case the Piccolo refers to the size of the instrument rather than the reeds piccolo (4') reeds only seem to be an add-on to the the other sets.
Only 8 basses but having the dim chords makes it not the instrument I want - keep looking I guess.

Anyanka said:
My Pigini Wing has piccolo (H) reeds in addition to swing-tuned MM reeds and L reeds, but they can't be played by themselves. I find the "fake" musette of HMM very unpleasant, but there's an HM and an HL combination that are quite fun, although I rarely use them for long...
That's odd? The HMM sounds pretty convincing on my Burini. I also think LMM sounds pretty good with a low, rich tone.
Maybe the fact that my straight tuned L+M reeds are in the cassotto makes a difference.

Yes............ but a real piccolo is 20 Cl of champers..........now that's rich with a very pleasing tone and after effect !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back