• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Phew!😯

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Today, we've experienced 39 deg C (26% rel humidity) and 41 degs C plus tomorrow.
Many townships along the Murray River are currently under both a bushfire and a flood warning, simultaneously!🫢

Today, we've experienced 39 deg C (26% rel humidity) and 41 degs C plus tomorrow.
Many townships along the Murray River are currently under both a bushfire and a flood warning, simultaneously!🫢
If you wanted it cooler you should have traveled to the US or Canada before the Xmas weekend. Just add a minus sign in front of the numbers and you get the temperature there...

Can confirm that I saw -39C / -38F on my thermometer Thursday morning. That is tied for the coldest temperature I've ever experienced outside of Alaska (in Fairbanks I got to "enjoy" -48C/-54F once... I had carefully planned ahead to not have to go out for the duration of the cold snap, and that was the night my stepdaughter had her baby.)

I am on the side of the mountains that doesn't get much wind, so I was spared that. And this year the snow is keeping the threat of bush fires down. (Eastern Montana has had January fires in dry years, after all the previous year's weeds dry out but don't get covered by snow.)

Keep that heat away from your wax!

Wow, be careful Dingo! At least your humidity is low, hardly ever drops below 85% here in the summer, even at 27C which is about as hot as it usually gets around here. I've also seen -40F in Minnesota, but now I live in a way more temperate area. Hope you have some good AC!

Thanks, Tom, we manage!🙂
Our weather usually comes in weekly cycles.
Huge rotating swirls of air sweep across the state from west to east. One edge of the swirl brings air from the Southern Ocean (cool and moist), the other edge from the desertified interior ( hot to very hot and dry).
The cycle usually lasts about a week, unless it's blocked, resulting in a "heat wave".
In the past, we had to endure these hot spells without air conditioning, now almost everyone has it: only that not everyone can afford the ever escalating power charges occasioned by increasing reliance on "cheap renewables". But I won't go there 😄.
Low humidity makes hot weather much more bearable. It also makes the airconditioning work much more effectively.
I can always tell when we are having a dry spell, as the bellows pins on one of my accordions become loose 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
That reminds me of an early experience of mine on my first real outing into the bush.
The cockie (Cattle grazier) was showing me around pointing out the various aspects of the business and the environment that he had to cope with.
"See that" he said pointing to a small pool of water at the bend of an othewise dry river bed "that's just enough to keep a breeding herd alive until the rains come", and then pointing upwards to the high branches of a dead eucalypt, about 30 metres ( nearly 100 ft. ) above the high river bank where the skeletal remains of a big cow was lodged, "That poor ******* got caught there during the flood last season."
Says it all, really.

(The stars indicate where the forum platform has eliminated the proper English word for an illegitimate child.)

Well here in Nashville, TN, USA, it only got down to about 14C (57F) this last Friday...

...inside my house! 🥶

That was the best my poor heat pump could do with -18C (sub-zero F) temps outside. And the power company's mandated rolling blackouts didn't help matters either. Finally starting to warm up now though. Woo-hoo!

i recall a similar situation reported in Montana, where both the
Cow and the Cowboy were froze up solid on the Plain
by the driven snow, and did not thaw out until the Spring

Tom,
Simply amazing!
Thanks for sharing!🙂
Everyone is curious about what happens when it thaws, which is happening today. I'll try to keep you updated.....

Back