• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Petosa am1100 = Scandalli Super 6 and Gola?

craigd

Reaction score
Wondering how much agreement I would find here with a Petosa salesman's claim that the above instruments are of equal quality and value? I do like what I hear from the am1100, a great sound and well balanced between right and left hands, but have they got as much care and craftsmanship put into them as the Golas? Is the status of the Super 6 exaggerated, mythical? My old teacher had a 45 key Gola with the stradella and three row free bass; I have ever since been in awe of him (now with the angels) and his accordion (now where?).

Zevy

Reaction score
Wondering how much agreement I would find here with a Petosa salesman's claim that the above instruments are of equal quality and value? I do like what I hear from the am1100, a great sound and well balanced between right and left hands, but have they got as much care and craftsmanship put into them as the Golas? Is the status of the Super 6 exaggerated, mythical? My old teacher had a 45 key Gola with the stradella and three row free bass; I have ever since been in awe of him (now with the angels) and his accordion (now where?).
Craig-
I have tried Golas, Scandalli Super 6 (which is the same as Setimio Soprani Artist 6 and BELL 4511), Victorias, etc. I was never blown away with any of them as much as I love my AM 1100. However, I have tried some other AM 1100s and I was not impressed, either. The short answer is that they are in the same league, but it depends on when the instrument was made, and other things as well. The accordion is a very personal instrument, so two models that were made back-to-back can differ. There are different aspects that are better on some and not on others. For instance, the workmanship on those older Scandallis, Golas, and Titanos is very special. But: you MUST play the instrument yourself. There is no substitute.
Here's a plug for Petosa AM 1100 - they (Petosa people) are great to work with. Also, someone wanted to trade his Setimio Soprani Artist 6 with me for my AM 1100 and I said NO! I truly enjoy it.
Good luck!

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All quality accordion models. I've worked on and played the Gola, Super 6 and AM 1100. As for yourself you will need to visit
a dealer or dealers that have models of each to find your perfect "Cup Of Tea". Fortunately we are not all robots and have different
likes & dislikes which makes it difficult for me to judge which one of these quality models would suit you perfectly.
If I was offered a choice of these models mentioned I myself would pick the AM 1100 for its build & sound quality.

Last edited:

nagant27

Reaction score
I’ve also played all three of these great accordions, and I own an 1100. It’s an older model- 60s, but the reeds are so responsive and sensitive, the tone is amazing. It’s probably the best sounding accordion I’ve played.
I’ve played a comparable American bell and both are in the same league in my opinion.
As mentioned all accordions are individual and you can play 2 of the same models and they sound, feel totally different. It would be great be able to try each simultaneously and really compare them. There are certain accordions that just feel “right” and in my opinion are always older and well taken care of classics. I’d rate a Petosa as one of these for certain and one of the best.