• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

PC Games Music - WarCraft 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Auser

Hi all
I have to admit that one of the genres (if you can call it a genre) I enjoy most is PC Games Music, especially the dramatic ones (WarCraft 2, Lords of the Realm 2, Doom... old games mainly).

Now I wonder, how playable they are on an accordion. I could find many newer games tunes on YT, but not these in particular.
Is there a brave enthusiast who can play some of those tunes ?
Some even have sheet music (piano) :
http://www.gamemusicthemes.com/sheetmusic/personalcomputer/warcraftii/index.html[/url]

Others are present on synthesia :

Now I`d really like to know how it could sound on an accordion, I`m at not level to play it, more so to turn the left hand into Stradella friendly.

Another question is, what level of importance it has, if I buy a convertor accordion for aiding in playing such tunes without having to change the bass notes, is there a great difference ?

Tahnks all

Like always, it all depends more on the player than the box.

<YOUTUBE id=Op1zEAI1alM url=></YOUTUBE>

Basically the ame song on a converter:
<YOUTUBE id=qI5XmqDfeTY url=></YOUTUBE>

Haha

Thanks Jerry,
enjoyed this one, but I would expect it for this tune.
WarCraft 2 music is much more complex and rich, I wonder how playable it is

Music is music is music. Either the musician is able to play it or not. It is true that Free Bass offers more versatility/freedom on the left hand, but threr iare zero reasons why an arrangement cannot be made and played on the stradella bass system.

Hi Jerry
You have used the word `musician` - this is exactly what I`m not.
This is why I ask people who are, and who have experience, as I have to make a choice of an accordion, and I won`t buy a low-Q again, so I need to know what awaits me.
So that I won`t be limited in the future.
The main debate now is if I need a converter for such music type.

No You don't. I can play some songs of World of warcraft and the morrowind theme and It's not needed to play a melody really on the left, chords are enough. But it all depends how You want To play the songs in the end.

wout post_id=49129 time=1501530587 user_id=1654 said:
No You dont. I can play some songs of World of warcraft and the morrowind theme and Its not needed to play a melody really on the left, chords are enough. But it all depends how You want To play the songs in the end.
Please note that I meant the old 1994 Warcraft 2, which are polyphonic and very rich, even played by orchestra. So if I use the chords instead, it`d make it simpler but also `poorer` ?
The theme `Orc 3` is especially complicated (at least in my ears), where it becomes a Bach imitation :

I can also see that on the Synthesia WarCraft 2 videos.

Hi Auser.
If you are already a competent player who can arrange their own music then these are great questions. If you are a beginner I fear you are shooting a bit too high and will become disillusioned with any accordion. Nobody buys the perfect accordion first time around. A bit of swapping and reselling or part-exchanging is normal and in my opinion healthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glenn post_id=49137 time=1501570937 user_id=61 said:
A bit of swapping and reselling or part-exchanging is normal and in my opinion healthy.

Hi Glenn
I believe what you say, but I also believe some rules of choice, I use these for years for buying anything and usually it improved my chances of getting the right thing.
It`s not my first pick, as I already have a cheap 80 bass PA. Now I want a CBA instead, and a really good one.

My research about the right accordion for me, is due for a year.
I`ve been to several stores and owner`s houses, played and heard dozens of accordions live, watched hundreds online on YouTube, consulted and examined the opinions of dozens of people (it doesn`t make me confused, even if some contradict), and manged to reach many consclusions.
This one is one of my last questions (hopefully).

So yeah, I`m aware I might discover and rediscover my needs, or features I didn`t think about, but the progress I made from my wishes a year ago, to my orientation now is immense, and my knowledge & understanding have expanded greatly.

Well, if that is what you feel is correct, then get the absolute best and most expensive converter accordion you can afford. Besides, I cannot see anyone playing JUST pc game tunes. On any instrument that would simply be a waste, IMHO because there is so much more to music than just that.

Also, if you are a beginner, music like the one you mention does not come in a week or a couple months, but after years of serious and dedicated practice. Unless you have the ability, you are in for a rough road, but don't get discouraged, everyone starts out from exactly the same level... zero, so get yourself mentally ready, roll up your sleeves and start learning and practicing! :)

Question is not what type accordion is used to play this tune, but can player make his/her own arrangement of it! I listened Orc 3 theme and it is hard and complex at first but if you it apart you end with simple bass line and melody and bunch of non-important effect/fill voices. Effect/fill voices can be brought into arrangement if more than one player is available, but for solo only couple pieces from effect voices can be used to fill holes.

By the way this tune may be too complex for beginner even in simple arrangement so don't set hopes too high!

Nuuksu post_id=49147 time=1501598127 user_id=1079 said:
I listened Orc 3 theme and it is hard and complex at first but if you it apart you end with simple bass line and melody and bunch of non-important effect/fill voices. Effect/fill voices can be brought into arrangement if more than one player is available, but for solo only couple pieces from effect voices can be used to fill holes.
By the way this tune may be too complex for beginner even in simple arrangement so dont set hopes too high!

Thanks for the immersion :)
I`m not very much in a position to rearrange, I can add simple bass to a melody, but it usually won`t be daring enough Usually I only use bass which is complementary by the `circle of fifths`, which is also how the Stradella is set).
I start with the bass which is of the same not, of the most dominant melody note in the beginning, then to make a twist, I switch to the closest basses, usually no more than a step (up or down the row), don`t dare otherwise.

Simple bass, means easily playable on Stradella, without downgrading too much (even at the Bach imitation) ?

Sure, I don`t think I`ll be able to play it soon, but I`m buying an accordion for a long time, hopefully life-long, so just want to know if I`ll be able to play it on Stradella, because I also considered buying a converter.

You can't just use most dominant melody note on bass - highest voice usually, you just end up with playing melody on bass. Bass is for harmony chord root note, it determines harmony chord inversion. You need to work out melody and harmony separately, harmony isn't usually same as melody.

I don't have enough spare time right now to write out short example from Orc 3 theme.

Nuuksu post_id=49212 time=1501835785 user_id=1079 said:
You cant just use most dominant melody note on bass - highest voice usually, you just end up with playing melody on bass. Bass is for harmony chord root note, it determines harmony chord inversion. You need to work out melody and harmony separately, harmony isnt usually same as melody.

I dont have enough spare time right now to write out short example from Orc 3 theme.

Oh thanks, if you loved the theme and ever have spare time for that, it`d be great, just quote my comment and I`ll see it.
I can also post it on YouTube for the benefit of other fans (there are lots of them).

Could you suggest what should I learn and search for in order to understand the exact things needed for creating such harmony, for the melody & bass ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back