• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Pauline Oliveros

AccordionUprising

Reaction score
Do folks here enjoy music such as Ms Oliveros' ?

This record and more of her writings and sounds are available here:

OuijaBoard

Reaction score
Ms. Oliveros passed away about 5 years ago at the age of 84. She was a remarkable experimental composer, and had a professorship in California, at UC San Diego. I saw an Oliveros performance during a visit to Manhattan probably 12 or so years ago. Saw the listing in the "Village Voice"--It was upstairs in an obscure building in midtown, Westside, big former office space probably, lights were out and people were sitting/lying on the floor while she created her otherworldly sounds on a digitially enhanced accordion hooked up to a big motherboard. I'm glad I got to see and hear her.

Sigh. Now there's no more Village Voice, no more midtown former office spaces available for experimental arts performances, and scant place in Manhattan for experimental artists, period.

Here's a link to a very cool NYTimes story about the completion of her last, unfinished work, an opera--"The Nubian Word for Flowers," composed by Oliveros with book/libretto by her spouse, Carole Ione Lewis:

cat

Reaction score
Here's an outstanding musical document imo ( I love Joelle and George Lewis - I'm a bassist too and have been listening to Joelle for decades - I love how she transitions to flute at 6:14"...the string bass - my favorite instrument - the interplay of masculine and feminine).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom