• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Past threads about these accordions?

Dingo40

Prolific poster
Reaction score
There's at least two threads regarding accordions with the keyboard style in these clips, but I can't find them. Can someone help, or at least remember the name given to this type?
Thanks!πŸ™‚

Last edited:

Dingo40

Prolific poster
Reaction score
No, I don't think it's that, Knobby. I seem to remember a short word meaning "fake " or "false ", but neither fake, nor faux accordions brings up any hits on google .
I remember there being quite a lengthy article as well.
Ah well, someone will come up with it .😐

Dingo40

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Ahhhh! Got it! The word I'm looking for is "finto "!πŸ˜€

Look here:

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Reaction score
Indeed, finto-piano. These are really just CBA accordions. This one just might have a working piano-keyboard but I doubt it. Most of these boxes were just CBA meaning the row of white piano-keys do not have the notes of a PA but are just the "next" CBA row. Some have a complete row of "black" keys, of which some where painted white to hide that they are there. So you would have BBWBBBWBBWBBBW... They were mostly used by CBA players wanting to play in American establishment that would not allow CBA but only PA. With a finto-piano you could fake having a PA while "secretly" just playing CBA.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Finto- Piano keyboard design was indeed a variation of a CBA button keyboard but not for it's superior features but
simply for it's aesthetic appearance value here in the Us.
In the 30's here the piano keyboard was introduced by Pietro & Guido Deiro on performances . Formally accordions
only appeared here with button keyboards. The piano keyboard offered many piano players to adapt to an accordion
easily and perform with a portable instrument. A few PA's were introduced previously in Europe but The Deiro Bros.
introduction of PA's on performances was felt to be considered an "American Standard" design.
You see back in the 40's American cars & luxury cars, Clothing fashions, Movies & Sports became well established
as MADE IN USA and considered American Standards. The PA was considered American design an the Button keyboard
accordion simply as a 'Foreign' design. The Finto-Piano design offered a button box player appear & perform with
A MADE IN USA design. The Finto keyboard really has no advantage to a button box but simply a visual appearance
of an American standard design. The accordionist could tell it's a CBA but the non musical audience simply
considered it an American standard keyboard.
Many famous accordionists appeared & performed with a Finto such as Leon Sash, Alice Hall, John Barsuglia,
Pietro Frosini and many others.