• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Paolo Soprani Piano Accordions

Ed Pasco

Reaction score
Hello, Thank you for having me. Please send me your comments as soon as possible. I am deeply concerned about a new accordion that is on order for me in America with Jim Laabs Music. They have been delaying the item for months now and promised it last March. "DOES PAOLO SOPRANI MAKE ACCORDIONS IN ITALY"? I wanted an accordion Italian made, but know I am hearing that I'm being scammed. Your comments are deeply appreciated.
Thank you,
Ed Pasco

Hello, Thank you for having me. Please send me your comments as soon as possible. I am deeply concerned about a new accordion that is on order for me in America with Jim Laabs Music. They have been delaying the item for months now and promised it last March. "DOES PAOLO SOPRANI MAKE ACCORDIONS IN ITALY"? I wanted an accordion Italian made, but know I am hearing that I'm being scammed. Your comments are deeply appreciated.
Thank you,
Ed Pasco
What exactly did you order, and how much of a down payment have you paid?

I bought a black Super Paolo 96 LMMM from Laabs about two years ago. I paid about 1/3 down when I ordered it, and received it in about 6 weeks. Prior to ordering I also emailed Pasco Italia (who now build Paolo Soprani accordions) to confirm their standard tuning of the cassotto reeds, and the detuning of the middle reeds. (440Hz +/-15’). …Strange coincidence that your name is Pasco…. Anyway, If you requested special tuning, or any sort of promotional color or grill (which I see from time to time) that could take longer.

When Laabs received it from Italy they contacted me and I paid the balance, including shipping. They FedEx’d it (and charged less than $40 for shipping) and I had no problems.

Last edited:
What exactly did you order, and how much of a down payment have you paid?

I bought a Super Paolo 96 LMMM from Laabs about two years ago. I paid about 1/3 down when I ordered it, and received it in about 6 weeks. I also emailed Pasco Italia (who now build Paolo Soprani accordions) to confirm their standard tuning of the cassotto reeds, and the detuning of the middle reeds.

When Laabs received it’s from Italy they contacted me and I payed the balance, including shipping. I had no problems.
Hi, Thank you for this feedback. At firm it was supposed to be the Piano, Professional, 120 bass with the cut back to Master lever to the right of the keys, tuning was to be LMMH, I wanted a jazz blues & French/Italian all in one. Lol. He has a $300 deposit at this point.
Thanks, ed pasco

Ordering from Laabs is definitely a risk,no doubt about that. In my experience though, their problems had to to mostly with ignorance (they are a general purpose music shop and know next to nothing about accordions). Also, they always seemed to be overwhelmed and stressed out, so maybe they are understaffed. Perhaps due to that, their communication is at best mediocre. And I think their accounting is shabby as well. Two or three days after I expected the accordion to have arrived at Laabs’ shop, I phoned them to enquire about it. They initially said that it hadn’t arrived yet. But after asking them nicely to please double-check, they put me on hold for a few minutes then told me they found it on the receiving dock. Then when they were ready to ship it, they called to notify me that it was being shipped and that I had zero balance to pay—this when I had only paid a third down! And when it arrived it was shipped in the box from Italy, but Laabs did not attach their invoice /receipt to it, do I had to phone them back later to have them send a receipt. What a mess! Things for me turned out alright in the end. But I can definitely see that there could have been a much different outcome. Clearly, the ONLY reason to take a risk with them is price; I easily spent $2,000 less by going with Laabs vs. the next competitor’s price.

of course the other problems are that Jim Laabs was basically a bootlegger
of brand name accordions while primarily pushing Chinese accordions to
the unsuspecting.. they appear to have changed a few models of the Excalibur
so as to source them in Italy (who knows where) and of course they tried their
best in the old advertising to confuse the heck our of naïve buyers into thinking
they might be Excelsiors Chinese line (which there never, ever WAS an Excelsior
Chinese sourced accordion line)

so now Scuromondo was obviously very very lucky, but he is clearly
a "Paolo" for life kinda guy, so i am glad for him that his was a decent accordion
and that he likes it and is satisfied with it

but we all know that there is absolutely no connection in any way whatsoever
that might be of any value in the making of an Accordion between THIS
Paolo Soprani and the one that actually earned the Reputation several Lifetimes ago

buying an accordion sight unseen, and without trying, playing, hearing it
is a crap shoot at best.. and at this point counting on some kind of
Value in the name "Paolo" is absolutely misguided, as there are still a dozen
or so Italian brands that DO live up to their reputations to this day, and
can be reasonable relied upon to deliver what they claim

at this point also, it appears pasco Italia now exclusively markets E. Soprani
(the b*****d brand of the greedy Soprani extended Family)
and everyone knows (or should by now) that buying an E. Soprani
is throwing your money away

likely Pasco lost their lease on using the Paolo name, as it is something
that is frequently rented out to the newest high bidder wanting to
bleed the old Brand a bit more.. the Families retain the brand rights but have
not actively been involved with Accordion Building themselves for at least
50 years now

i wonder who they will get to actually fulfill your Paolo order ?
hope to God it won't be an E. Soprani with an illegally glued on
Paolo nameplate (in hopes no-one in Italy ever notices what some
mostly internet USA music store actually delivers to a customer)

good luck

Last edited:
they appear to have changed a few models of the Excalibur so as to source them in Italy (who knows where)
I thought there was an older thread claiming that at least one of the Excalibur accordions was a rebadged Chinese-built E. Soprani, but I am not able to find it

I wanted a jazz blues & French/Italian all in one
I’m not sure that your requirements will be met with this accordion. Most players of jazz would want a cassotto, and the Professionale models do not have that. For French/Italian folk music on a LMMH, in my opinion you would want to be sure that the detuned M is 8-15 cents sharp, but for jazz, you would probably want the detuning to be much more subtle—maybe 2 or 3 cents at most.

of course the other problems are that Jim Laabs was basically a bootlegger
of brand name accordions while primarily pushing Chinese accordions to
the unsuspecting.. they appear to have changed a few models of the Excalibur
so as to source them in Italy (who knows where) and of course they tried their
best in the old advertising to confuse the heck our of naïve buyers into thinking
they might be Excelsiors Chinese line (which there never, ever WAS an Excelsior
Chinese sourced accordion line)

so now Scuromondo was obviously very very lucky, but he is clearly
a "Paolo" for life kinda guy, so i am glad for him that his was a decent accordion
and that he likes it and is satisfied with it

but we all know that there is absolutely no connection in any way whatsoever
that might be of any value in the making of an Accordion between THIS
Paolo Soprani and the one that actually earned the Reputation several Lifetimes ago

buying an accordion sight unseen, and without trying, playing, hearing it
is a crap shoot at best.. and at this point counting on some kind of
Value in the name "Paolo" is absolutely misguided, as there are still a dozen
or so Italian brands that DO live up to their reputations to this day, and
can be reasonable relied upon to deliver what they claim

at this point also, it appears pasco Italia now exclusively markets E. Soprani
(the b*****d brand of the greedy Soprani extended Family)
and everyone knows (or should by now) that buying an E. Soprani
is throwing your money away

likely Pasco lost their lease on using the Paolo name, as it is something
that is frequently rented out to the newest high bidder wanting to
bleed the old Brand a bit more.. the Families retain the brand rights but have
not actively been involved with Accordion Building themselves for at least
50 years now

i wonder who they will get to actually fulfill your Paolo order ?
hope to God it won't be an E. Soprani with an illegally glued on
Paolo nameplate (in hopes no-one in Italy ever notices what some
mostly internet USA music store actually delivers to a customer)

good luck
Thank you for the feedback. I think I'm done. I'm going to tell him again that the deal is off. It's a total scam.
Thank you, Ed Pasco (not related).

The Paolo Soprani factory in Castelfidardo closed down many many decades ago.
Basically all Paolo Soprani accordions you can buy today are made by someone else. But that doesn't mean they are not good because they are made by one of the factories in or around Castelfidardo that make accordions with other well-known names as well.
However, there are also really fake Paolo Soprani accordions made by scrupulous people in China or North Korea that will produce fakes of anything. You can smell (see) a fake Paolo Soprani a mile away... so it's easy enough not to fall for that.

For buying a new accordion the best advice is to go to real accordion dealers with their own repair facility. Every accordion needs maintenance and tuning service that you won't get from a general music store selling all kinds of instruments.

The Paolo Soprani factory in Castelfidardo closed down many many decades ago.
Basically all Paolo Soprani accordions you can buy today are made by someone else. But that doesn't mean they are not good because they are made by one of the factories in or around Castelfidardo that make accordions with other well-known names as well.
However, there are also really fake Paolo Soprani accordions made by scrupulous people in China or North Korea that will produce fakes of anything. You can smell (see) a fake Paolo Soprani a mile away... so it's easy enough not to fall for that.

For buying a new accordion the best advice is to go to real accordion dealers with their own repair facility. Every accordion needs maintenance and tuning service that you won't get from a general music store selling all kinds of instruments.
Thank you for your comments.

Jim Laabs ONLY SELLS China made accordions. Most have his own brand Excaliber on them but no matter the
name on his accordions THEY ALL ARE CHINA MADE. Thier Paolo Soprani's are bootleg Chinese !!!

Thier Paolo Soprani's are bootleg Chinese
Anyone reading the severity of many of the reviews of Jim Laabs would be well-advised to be cautious when dealing with them. In my case, I had initially been planning to buy from Castiglione Accordion, which I knew was a legitimate source. I took so long to save the money and make a decision that, in the meantime, Castiglione closed its doors. So I emailed Pasco Italia (the factory which currently manufactures accordions in Castelfidardo with the Paolo Soprani name) to ask them for the names of Paolo Soprani dealers in the US. I exchanged emails directly with Sig. Giansandro Breccia, president of Pasco Italia, and he gave me one name only: Jim Laabs.

So, while Jim Laabs may be a poor source for accordions and they may have abysmal customer service, their Paolo Sopranis are completely legitimate, and definitely not bootleg Chinese.

here is my caution, however..

currently, a search for pasco Italia

brought me to the default link

Pasco Italia s.r.l.
Castelfidardo (An) Italy
info@pascoitalia.com

backspacing out the /b_e-soprani.html
did reveal a page with paolo and moreschi links as well,
but this was not the default landing for pasco, so i missed it yesterday

the redirect goes to paolosoprani.com
with contact info as
PASCO ITALIA s.r.l.
Via A. Moro, 6 - 60022 Castelfidardo (An) Italy

Via Aldo Mora is a physical location, it is a curved street,
#6 is right at the curve as far as Google Earth is concerned

Aldo Mora comes off Pio la Torre, the first long building on the right is #2
the blue building at the curve is #8 and #10

one of the small buildings must be #6 but i can't tell which one and there is no
accordion or pasco sign anywhere in street view visible

i usually use Street View to try and figure out if a webpage/company is a Paper Tiger
or something substantial.. like when we researched Piatanesi last year and found
enough to believe they were a viable operation, though the sign on the
front of the building changes occasionally with which brand they rep/build is being promoted

it is interesting seeing the signs go up and come down and go up again
on quite a few locations around CastleFi.. as well as who takes over what
old factory location and which place gets overrun with weeds.. running around
CastleFi in street view once or twice a year is useful to me.. did i mention i LOVE
Google Earth

y'all can come to your own conclusions, of course

The default page for Pasco Italia is www.pascoitalia.com. That page provides links to each of their three product lines: Paolo Soprani, Moreschi, and E. Soprani. The link you provided is the direct link to the E. Soprani line.

In other threads on this forum I think it was agreed that the lower end of E. Soprani product line, “Circus,” is assembled in China (with final inspection in Italy). But I’ve never seen any evidence that China has any involvement in the manufacture of Moreschi and Paolo Soprani.

After 50+ years of piano accordion, I decided to try out CBA. This 69 year old wasn't sure my mind would adapt to a new accordion system. After months of searching for a starter CBA online, I decided to try out Liberty Bellows and purchased an E Soprani Circus CBA. I've gotta admit after playing it daily since early April, I'm satisfied with this starter instrument. No register switches, musette sound, and 13 pounds have made me satisfied with this as a student model. Of course I've only had it for 2 1/2 months, but it seems adequate as a starter box, as I play my way into Palmer Hughes, Book 3.
With trade-in, I felt the new price was worth the purchase. Hopefully by Christmas, I'll decide whether to "buy up" or not. A major scare is the paltry 90 day factory warranty. I'm sure I won't get much if I trade this one back to LB.
I imagine this purchase will be similar to the 12 bass piano accordion I started on way back in the 1960s. I played it enough, and enjoyed it enough for my parents to buy me a Giulietti 3 reed student instrument that I kept and played for 35 years. By the way, this 13 year old didn't know much about money, but I did remember the cost was $350. Pretty reasonable I thought... until my parents took me with them shopping for a new GE refrigerator a couple of months later. Refrigerator at Sears--- $350. Quite the expenditure for a bricklayer.
Times have changed.

After 50+ years of piano accordion, I decided to try out CBA. This 69 year old wasn't sure my mind would adapt to a new accordion system. After months of searching for a starter CBA online, I decided to try out Liberty Bellows and purchased an E Soprani Circus CBA. I've gotta admit after playing it daily since early April, I'm satisfied with this starter instrument. No register switches, musette sound, and 13 pounds have made me satisfied with this as a student model. Of course I've only had it for 2 1/2 months, but it seems adequate as a starter box, as I play my way into Palmer Hughes, Book 3.
With trade-in, I felt the new price was worth the purchase. Hopefully by Christmas, I'll decide whether to "buy up" or not. A major scare is the paltry 90 day factory warranty. I'm sure I won't get much if I trade this one back to LB.
I imagine this purchase will be similar to the 12 bass piano accordion I started on way back in the 1960s. I played it enough, and enjoyed it enough for my parents to buy me a Giulietti 3 reed student instrument that I kept and played for 35 years. By the way, this 13 year old didn't know much about money, but I did remember the cost was $350. Pretty reasonable I thought... until my parents took me with them shopping for a new GE refrigerator a couple of months later. Refrigerator at Sears--- $350. Quite the expenditure for a bricklayer.
Times have changed.
Like you I am finding the economical E.Soprani Circus Line CBA ($1,300 at Liberty Bellows) to be an excellent student instrument for learning the CBA. I've had mine a month less than you, but I am already pleased with what I have learned to play so far in that short time. As I progress I am beginning to perceive some of its limitations. For example, I find it difficult to achieve good dynamic expression compared to previous, higher quality accordions that I have owned. When the sheet music specifies to play "piano" or "pianissimo", I find that with lighter bellows pressure some of the reeds on the E.Soprani do not respond as well. Occasionally some of the notes don't work at all unless I push a little harder on the bellows. It seems that some of the reeds have a more difficult time activating when the bellows pressure is very light. I'm supposing that that is a consequence of the instrument's lower quality reeds. Still, at the beginner level the E.Soprani is certainly adequate and cost effective for learning the chromatic system, which by the way I am finding to be much easier than most people claim. Like you, I figure that if I ever get good at the CBA, I'll eventually upgrade to a better instrument, but I'll have no regrets about buying the E.Soprani as a starter instrument. Or, if in the end I give up on the CBA, I won't feel that I have wasted a lot of money.

Like you I am finding the economical E.Soprani Circus Line CBA ($1,300 at Liberty Bellows) to be an excellent student instrument for learning the CBA. I've had mine a month less than you, but I am already pleased with what I have learned to play so far in that short time. As I progress I am beginning to perceive some of its limitations. For example, I find it difficult to achieve good dynamic expression compared to previous, higher quality accordions that I have owned. When the sheet music specifies to play "piano" or "pianissimo", I find that with lighter bellows pressure some of the reeds on the E.Soprani do not respond as well. Occasionally some of the notes don't work at all unless I push a little harder on the bellows. It seems that some of the reeds have a more difficult time activating when the bellows pressure is very light. I'm supposing that that is a consequence of the instrument's lower quality reeds. Still, at the beginner level the E.Soprani is certainly adequate and cost effective for learning the chromatic system, which by the way I am finding to be much easier than most people claim. Like you, I figure that if I ever get good at the CBA, I'll eventually upgrade to a better instrument, but I'll have no regrets about buying the E.Soprani as a starter instrument. Or, if in the end I give up on the CBA, I won't feel that I have wasted a lot of money.
How fast reeds respond with low bellows pressure depends on the voicing. If the gap between the tip of the reed and the reed plate gets smaller the reed will respond faster in pianissimo. But sadly the reed will choke on forte. When you have stronger steel the reed can be voiced to respond fast at pianissimo and not choke at fortissimo. And when the voicing is done carefully you can even get all the reeds to respond equally fast. But that means work, and work equals money, so cheap accordions always have sloppy voicing.

How fast reeds respond with low bellows pressure depends on the voicing. If the gap between the tip of the reed and the reed plate gets smaller the reed will respond faster in pianissimo. But sadly the reed will choke on forte. When you have stronger steel the reed can be voiced to respond fast at pianissimo and not choke at fortissimo. And when the voicing is done carefully you can even get all the reeds to respond equally fast. But that means work, and work equals money, so cheap accordions always have sloppy voicing.
Thank you for explaining this. Makes sense that better responding reeds inherently cost more.

Back