• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Paolo Soprani and V Soprani

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveGD

Are Paolo Soprani and V Soprani both made by the same company. If so, what are the differences ? I am confused.

Thanks
DaveGD

The Soprani name is very diverse in the Marche region of Italy. There were many Soprani's that had accordions made with their surname and to identify the different makes, they used their first name in the badge. You can find accordions made by different firms with the names - Paolo Sora, Giovani, Elena, Pasquale, G, Virgilo, Saverio, Settimo, Fratelli, and Paolo Soprani. JIM D.

speaking only of the diatonics I have played the V Sopranis I have come across are not anything like the quality of the equivalent paolo soprani's.But I think to put this in context the V's were cheaper to buy

george

George, thanks for answering my question before I asked it.

DaveGD

My first exposure to "topshelf" material was drooling for hours over a Bell's Acordion Catalogue sometime in the 60s.
I remember then being warned off (diatonic) V Sopranis as being inferior and feeding off the Soprani name.
Academic at the time as I didn't have 2 beans.

In the 60's Bell accordion imported diatonics from Paolo Soprani and applied their Badge. When the Guilietti firm provided button boxes to their customers they always imported the Paolo Soprani Line and left the original badge intact. JIM D.

My Bells' was Surbiton Surrey UK - possibly a different policy (Company?).
Certainly the V and P Soprani were illustrated in their catalogue alongside Hohner and their own brand

with later (late 70s and 80s) Paolos and onwards, the name is pretty meaningless anyway - the were made for a time by Dino Baffetti who may have made the V-Sopranis as well for all I know , the Paolo name has passed around quite a bit so quality has varied from box to box , it`s been a VERY long time since the actual Family decendents of Paolo Soprani had anything to do with it .. as For V Soprani - haven`t a clue even if V soprani himself had anything to do with the boxes ..

This is always good reading about Paolo Soprani and how the name was kicked about Castelfidardo like a football

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sean_quinn/psoprani/psoprani.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back