• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Paolo Soprani. 1950's vs 1970's

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing one of 2 Paolo Soprani piano accordions. One is listed as 1950's and one is listed as 1970's. I know that the company changed hands several times and was wondering if either decade was more desirable. I know that playing them would be the best judge, but assuming both played great, they were a similar price and they had similar specs, which one would you pick and why?

Last edited:
What models are they, any pix might be good too?

Paolo Soprani was the first Italian accordion manufacturer in 1864. The firm made many models & accordion types until
1987 when it merged with the Scandalli a part of Farfisa.
Some models continued in production for as much as 20 years. Many models were made in it's 120 years of accordion
production and I'm afraid Pic's will be needed to answer your ???'s.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the lack of pics. I attached them below. I am interested in these two because they are smaller sized and I can take them when I travel. They are both 2 reed instruments, 34 keys. One has 72 basses and one has 60. The prices aren't too far apart. The first pic is the 70's model and the second is the 50's model.

Was the Scandalli merger the first time the company changed hands? I know people have come and gone at the company, but was it still the same basic operation from 1864 to 1987?

Attachments

• ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 61
  • ps2.jpg
    ps2.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 61
The one on the left is a Chinese Knock Off, The one on the right real 60's to 70's vintage Paolo.
Real Paolo's had a badge with a standing accordion player in gold.
"Paolo Soprani" WAS the first Italian maker and not to be confused with - Elena Soprani, Fratelli Soprani, G. Soprani,
Pasquale Soprani, Saverio Soprani, Settimio Soprani, Silvio Soprani, & Virgilio Soprani. All other Italian makers.

After the demise of production in the late 80's the Chinese have used the Paolo name on their knock offs.

Last edited:
Wow. I thought the logo was different, but I didn’t think much of it. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I don’t see too many older smaller Italian instruments with 60 or more basses. Most of what I’ve seen lately have been 48 or less. So, this one is interesting to me. I just need to decide if 2 reeds will work for me. I am going to spend time with my current instruments with just the MM reeds and see how it goes.

The chinese knock-off does not look old enough to be a 1970's accordion at all...
You cannot be too careful with any brand name these days. The Chinese and/or North Koreans make knock offs of many famous names. Anything that looks "not quite right" (like in this case the logo that's missing) should make you suspicious that maybe something's up...

Thanks Paul. I will keep all this in mind.
Is the name Paolo Soprani still owned by Scandalli?

while there was a nephew in the Settimo family named Paolo,
and he was placed in charge, for a period of time, during the combined
Scandalli/Settimo Soprani period, this was not a link by any means
of the Scandalli and Paolo Soprani organizations

perhaps that is where the confusion lies

later, during the Del Turco/Bontiempi period of ownership, in their
offices i only saw the Scandalli and Farfisa brands in their direct
portfolio, though they did catalogue Columbo in the office brochures

i saw zero evidence of them having rights or interest in the Paolo Soprani brand
during the period the factory closed and the company dissolved, and
the rights to various usage of the Brand Name became available for
lease or purchase

obviously any merger of Scandalli and Paolo would have had to be after
the original companies were actually dissolved, and i can find no link of even
combined Brand Name leasing by one parent organization up to and
through the year 2000

does the parent company of the (modern iteration) Scandalli Brand
also control marketing of the Paolo Brand name ?
the Settimo brand name has been split off again (at least for now)

ciao

Ventura

I don't know this, but what I do know is that the Chinese, and even more then North Koreans, do not feel bound by brand name ownership and will produce accordions (and other products) with any brand name they desire. If they can sell an accordion for X amount of money with some chinese characters on it and 5x X with a name like "Paolo Soprani" stamped on it instead, it's not hard to guess what they will choose to do...

Thanks for the info! As it turns out, the 60's model is a 3 reed instrument. I was wrong about it being only 2 reeds. It seems pretty attractive. It checks off a lot of boxes for what I need.

Actually it is now owned by Pasco Italia. They are located in Castelfidardo and also make the Moresci and E. Soprani brand accordions.

While in the process of purchasing my new Paolo Soprani, I exchanged emails with Sig. Giansandro Breccia several times to ask questions and confirm features and tuning with him. He has the title of Director at Pasco Italia and was very friendly and helpful. It turns out that he is a descendant of the founder of Salpa, and he is also currently the Sales Manager for Voci Armoniche (the merger of Salpa and Voci Antonelli). Needless to say, all Paolo Soprani, Moreschi, and E. Soprani accordions now use only Voci Armoniche reeds!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back