• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Organ volume FR-8x

PaulCummings

Reaction score
Hi

I like to have a loud organ sound that I can quickly change to if needed. By default that is TyplJazz.
There is only 1 page for making adjustments to this sound.
I've got it saved in two User programs.
In the one the organ sounds just as I like it - quite loud.
In the other User Program it is quiet!
I've compared the settings for the organ in both user programs and they are identical.
At one stage I thought that I'd cracked it. I thought that bellows control on Orchestra 1 or 2 also affected the organ, but this no longer seems to be the case.
Why is it the identical organ sounds produce different volumes?
Anyone?

Thanks
Paul

Chris Laarman

Reaction score
My GUESS: it's a matter of MIDI.

There's a difference between Volume (a Channel setting) and Expression (a Continuous Controller, controlled by your use of the bellows, configurable in the Bellows settings). (And Velocity is a property of each Note On message.)

Showing this nested on a given MIDI Channel:
- Volume (set until changed, like a maximum speed traffic sign)
-- Velocity (part of the Note On message of each individual note)
--- Aftertouch, Breath, Expression (assorted continuous controllers)
-- Velocity (part of the Note Off message of each individual note)
- Volume (next setting)

Hope this helps! :)

John M

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Be sure that your drawbar settings are identical. Also, that you have the same volume setting (the range is -40 to +40). In addition I would go into all three areas of the the organ editor (7.1, 7.2, and 7.3) and be sure every parameter is identical.

I have many different organ settings so that I can make a change very quickly (I have also programmed the chin switches for a very fast change). When I have identical parameters, for two User Programs, the organ sound/volume is identical.

Something is different between your two User Programs, you just have to find it.

John M.