• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Orchestra Pianos and EPs on the Fr-8?

joden

Reaction score
Are they better than the ones on the FR4 or are they the same samples?

The ones on the 4 (jm2c) sound like you are playing under a blanket (in stereo or mono sends) and the brighter pianos sound like a banjo!

So I was wondering, and hence the question.

Accordion side of things is great!! Even the basses (orchestra), while not perfect are eminently useable.

The FR-8x and the FR-4x have identical sound engines, and the technology is modeling rather than sampling.

Maybe for the accordions, but not the Orchestra sounds, which is the subject of the OP. Those Acoustic and Electric Pianos sound like samples to me!

Maybe for the accordions, but not the Orchestra sounds, which is the subject of the OP. Those Acoustic and Electric Pianos sound like samples to me!
No, Roland says the sound engines are identical across the board. The difference you hear may very well be due fto such things as speaker size, enclosure size and shape, or even differences between the amplifiers in the two accordions. The FR-8x and the Bugari EVO share the same electronics, yet they also have different sounds. Check that out.

No, Roland says the sound engines are identical across the board. The difference you hear may very well be due fto such things as speaker size, enclosure size and shape, or even differences between the amplifiers in the two accordions. The FR-8x and the Bugari EVO share the same electronics, yet they also have different sounds. Check that out.
I notice that!, some playing around and I noted that I saw about 15 different names on an Evo, but those are renamed sounds that do exist on an 8x. The Evo has nothing "more" than an 8x. :)

we proved a long long time ago that the LSiC
(large scale integrated circuit) for both the Soundengine and the
FX is identical in all the Roland V-Accordions, aswell as being the
same chips that are used in many roland Workstations and Synths

they simply limit access to the vast reservoir of modeled sounds
through the sortware that is written to create the specific keyboard
product. in other words the subset becomes the product, and you
would never know basically all the other Roland "keyboards" are also there,
hiding under the surface and unreachable

the biggest difference between the sound shaping you can do on the
FR-7/8 and the lesser models is the FX engine controls, which are vast
and though complicated allow for a ton of shading

this section is not accessible for programming at the FR-3/4 level

historical note, Roland was in fact the first to marry sampling and modeling,
by using samples for the attack and first few milliseconds then shaping the waveform
through it's sustain and decay by advanced modeling algorithms.. this was first
used to incredible effect on the seminal Roland MKs-20 Piano module, which quickly became
the de-facto standard in most modern Studios of the time

roland and Mr. Kakehashi then embarked on a decades long course of
capturing and shaping a massive catalog of instruments which they have
been drawing from ever since.. in this they were quite ahead of their time

So they do use samples then, even if short ones :) - Wouldn't be a huge CPU in these so I can imagine the modeling is limited, and it sounds it!

At least the 8 has the much larger efx system where you can at least create a satin purse from a sows ear haha!

Not a lot one can do on the 4 :(

An important page for editing a sound is found FR4x reference manual on page 53, Right Hand Orchestra Part Parameters (Orchestra Edit).
Read it then experiment how it effects the sound. You will find some amazing things when changing the cutoff/reso (resolution) does amazing things to the guitar sounds…vibrato delay, depth, rate works great with the sax…experimenting is the key…everyone is different…

An important page for editing a sound is found FR4x reference manual on page 53, Right Hand Orchestra Part Parameters (Orchestra Edit).
Read it then experiment how it effects the sound. You will find some amazing things when changing the cutoff/reso (resolution) does amazing things to the guitar sounds…vibrato delay, depth, rate works great with the sax…experimenting is the key…everyone is different…
Thanks. I've been working with synths for years, so those are things I am well aware of and have tried to utilise.

Not sure if anyone realises this, but the EQ section only affects the onboard speakers. NOT what goes out teh audio jacks...so if using a PA you need to then do some serious EQing on your outboard gear. I go the original tip-off from Richard Noel, and tried it myself and could not discern any affect the EQ setting made to sound coming from either the headphone or L/R jacks.

I'd need to have a good look at the schematic for the FR to make sure, but from a "just listening and tweaking" p.o.v., Richard is correct.

I’d never want the onboard EQ to affect what goes out the 1/4” jacks, that is exactly what the EQ section of a mixer is for. Imagine the time lost trying to move from stage to stroll to back to stage would cause? If the Roland techs did anything at all right, that was it. ;)

I’d never want the onboard EQ to affect what goes out the 1/4” jacks, that is exactly what the EQ section of a mixer is for. Imagine the time lost trying to move from stage to stroll to back to stage would cause? If the Roland techs did anything at all right, that was it. ;)

Whereas I work differently :) - I get the sound out of my keyboard exactly how I want it and when using a PA, simply make a few minor adjustments (if necessary - most of the time, my setups can run with a flat F.O.H. EQ) to the desk.

. . . I'd need to have a good look at the schematic for the FR to make sure, but from a "just listening and tweaking" p.o.v., Richard is correct. . . .
Is a schematic available for the 8X? It would be nice to have one.

John M.

Whereas I work differently :) - I get the sound out of my keyboard exactly how I want it and when using a PA, simply make a few minor adjustments (if necessary - most of the time, my setups can run with a flat F.O.H. EQ) to the desk.
If you have the time in between strolling and playing, that’s great. I adjust the 8X as I want it, the PA as I want it and when strolling drop the wires and walk, come back plug things in and am optimized in both situations.. zero effort, zero time spend dong “a few minor adjustments” or the ” if using a PA you need to then do some serious EQing on your outboard gear” adjustments you mention. Besides, most people don’t stroll around with keyboards, though… lol

Back