• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

One Chamber vs Double Chamber

efibau

Reaction score
Looking for simple explanations the meaning of the difference between an accordion with One Chamber and an accordion with Double Chamber. And I mean that when I'm looking to purchase an accordion maybe if I understand that difference, maybe I do not need one with a Double Chamber which means a significant financial addition to a parameter that is perhaps less important to me. The question is how do I make the meaning of this difference measurable so that I can make an reasonable decision? Just for example- if I'm interested in a BELL 2520C that has One Chamber compared to more leading BELL models, I want to know that this technical difference will not hurt my enjoyment of the instrument's sounds. You know what I mean? (In simple words - maybe I do not want to buy the best at a high price because enough for my needs also the simpler model)

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Hi Efibau,

This is a question that is impossible for us to answer because what is important is whether YOU will be happy with your choice. My main advice is to try both accordions if at all possible, to make sure either has a sound that you like.

I don't know where you are in your accordion journey. Are you just starting out and need to play a while before you know what you like, or have you played for years and have developed an ear for what you like?

Double chamber will probably give you a richer sound, and more variability of sound. Is it worth the price difference? Are you interested in how others perceive your choice? These are difficult questions, but I hope that your purchase makes you happy and you play in peace for years to come!

Last edited:

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Reaction score
The term "double tone chamber" is actually somewhat misleading. An accordion with a single tone chamber and one with a double tone chamber both have a single chamber. The difference is having one voice in the tone chamber versus two voices in the chamber. On a PA that also translates to one reed block (containing all reeds for one voice) having its sound going into the chamber versus two reed blocks. But on larger CBA there can be three reed blocks to cover all the notes (and two voices per note).

Dingo40

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Then there is the question of future maintenance: how much more difficult are maintenance issues made simply because of having tone chambers at all?🤔

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Paul is quite right --- A one chamber PA box is a cassotto with only one set of reeds ( in most all cases bassoon) . A double chamber
PA box is a cassotto with two sets of reeds ( in most all cases bassoon & clarinet). There are variations found but not the norm &
rare. Button boxes can be found with 1,2 & 3 sets of reeds in chamber and called single cassotto, double cassotto & triple cassotto.

And yes there is more parts & labor involved in repairs on a box with reeds in cassotto. As in a non cassotto box each key operates
only one pallet, but in cassotto equiped boxes each key will have (in most cases two) pallets for each key and they have to be in
perfect unison to operate without leakage.

Last edited:

Ventura

Reaction score
Just for example- if I'm interested in a BELL 2520C that has One Chamber compared to more leading BELL models,
well E, since this is your specific mention, i am going to assume you are
looking only at used/pre-owned accordions

and frankly on any given day, you may be lucky and find a top shelf model
with cassotto for less money than a thoroughly played to death straight 4/5 model

so what you need to learn is how to tell when you have a good one
at a great price regardless of the specifications

ciao

Ventura

PS: and for me, saying "this one has a tone chamber" is all i need to know...
my ear will tell me which reeds are in it and which are not so there is no
need for me to hear the salesmans "double" talk about "double" tone chamber
accordions

do humans have breasts ? or are we double breasted ? or are they only
doubled when we have had too much Schnappes to drink ?

can we ever have too much Schnappes ?

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
.....never! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

jozz

Prolific poster
Reaction score
do humans have breasts ? or are we double breasted ? or are they only
doubled when we have had too much Schnappes to drink ?

can we ever have too much Schnappes ?

I was gonna ask what about the three-breasted mutant prostitute in Total Recall?

but indeed it's not a human..

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
...but not as popular or easy to play as an electric guitar.