• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Olive Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not the best word for it, I guess. There are several commonly-accepted ways to play a chromatic scale, after all. But the one I feel like I see the most is largely what's used in the "Frosini Highlights" arrangements: Thumb on most white keys, 3rd finger on black keys, toss in the 2nd finger if you have two white keys in a row, use the 4th and 5th sometimes to finish up the run.

It's a consistent/logical way of doing it, but not always as speedy for me as I'd like.
True. You have to do whatever works for you. Mr. Nunzio used to say that if you are comfortable and and you can play it that way 10 times, then keep it that way.
Makes sense. Also explains his fondness for this sort of flashy chromaticism, which I understand is easier to execute quickly on CBA compared to PA.

I run into the same trouble trying to play (the presumably CBA-composed) Brise Napolitaine. That B section is murder on PA!
I don't think I am familiar with that piece.

My copy does not have fingering on there, its an Alfred edition

Interesting! My copy (and Zevy's too, it looks like) is also put out by Alfred, but it's probably a later edition.

Yours has them with a New York address (they're now in LA), which puts it between 1930 and 1975. Probably closer to 1930 judging by the graphic design and price.

I don't think I am familiar with that piece.

Well we can fix that. :)

This recording features one of the composers, Vetese Guerino, on CBA. The passage in question starts at around 27 seconds in:

A more modern recording featuring Armand Lassange:

Interesting! My copy (and Zevy's too, it looks like) is also put out by Alfred, but it's probably a later edition.
I had a similar situation with "Swedish Italian Mazurka" by Frosini. I have two editions, both with a copyright date of 1933. One had fingering and the other had none. It could be that on was marketed for CBA players. (I made a re-arrangement so that the music would reflect the original key.)

Well we can fix that. :)

This recording features one of the composers, Vetese Guerino, on CBA. The passage in question starts at around 27 seconds in:

A more modern recording featuring Armand Lassange:

Yes Jeff - it's a CBA!!

Great stuff in this thread so far. I'm still working through this tune slowly. I am playing it on CBA, so I get a little break on the chromatic runs. They lay real nice on the CBA. This tune has made me much more aware that I need to work on my left hand A LOT more. But, it is carrying over to other songs that I play. So, while I won't be programing Olive Blossoms on any concert stages, it is helping me play better when I play folk music for my friends and family. The left hand and bellows technique are also helping me when playing piano accordion. All in all, I'm loving the challenge.

This tune has made me much more aware that I need to work on my left hand A LOT more. But, it is carrying over to other songs that I play.

Funny you should mention that. I don't remember whether I started to learn "Olive Blossoms" or Frank Marocco's "French Toast" first (both were a while ago), but I remember how playing a tricky left hand part in the second one went a lot easier than I would've expected.

Turns out that it is almost identical to a passage in the other one, and the left hand work I put in really did "carry over"!

I haven't been able to find a YouTube clip of Mr. Marocco himself playing "French Toast", but this one is a good example. Notice how the bass part at the very beginning is essentially the bass part to the Trio section of Olive Blossoms, moved down a 5th. I wonder if Frosini was an influence on its composition?

But, it is carrying over to other songs that I play. So, while I won't be programing Olive Blossoms on any concert stages, it is helping me play better when I play folk music for my friends and family. The left hand and bellows technique are also helping me when playing piano accordion. All in all, I'm loving the challenge.
That's exactly the point, Nick. Working on these pieces will give you a lot of help with other pieces of music that you will play in the future.
Good luck!

I pulled this book out again to give it another shot. My plan is to learn it as written, and then make an arrangement for accordion, guitar and bass. In the trio format, I would leave out the left hand, but continue to work on it with both hands.

Funny you should mention that. I don't remember whether I started to learn "Olive Blossoms" or Frank Marocco's "French Toast" first (both were a while ago), but I remember how playing a tricky left hand part in the second one went a lot easier than I would've expected.

Turns out that it is almost identical to a passage in the other one, and the left hand work I put in really did "carry over"!

I haven't been able to find a YouTube clip of Mr. Marocco himself playing "French Toast", but this one is a good example. Notice how the bass part at the very beginning is essentially the bass part to the Trio section of Olive Blossoms, moved down a 5th. I wonder if Frosini was an influence on its composition?

There is a beautiful middle section in French Toast. Does anyone know where to get the sheet music from or if it is included in any of the accordion books with collections?

There is a beautiful middle section in French Toast. Does anyone know where to get the sheet music from or if it is included in any of the accordion books with collections?

I have it in a collection titled "Frank Marocco - Jazz Accordion, book 2", published by Carisch.

In the States, SheetMusicPlus has it for sale: https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/jazz-accordion-vol-2-sheet-music/21334941

Across the pond, try Stretta: https://www.stretta-music.com/en/frank-jazz-accordion-2-nr-581138.html

I have it in a collection titled "Frank Marocco - Jazz Accordion, book 2", published by Carisch.

In the States, SheetMusicPlus has it for sale: https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/jazz-accordion-vol-2-sheet-music/21334941

Across the pond, try Stretta: https://www.stretta-music.com/en/frank-jazz-accordion-2-nr-581138.html
Thanks Jeff, I looked at these sites and the book was available but I got it from ebay slightly cheaper and including a CD. Thanks for your advice. There's no way I would have known that it was in that collection. Interesting that it's called jazz. I would have thought it more likely to be found in a collection of french musette pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back