• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Old much abused Scandelli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffingers

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This old instrument was got for the sole purpose of tearing it apart for my edification.
Note the rusted out chrome that Dingo40 refered to being typical of the damper discs.

Its condition was appalling, even having grass and weeds trapped in the bellows folds.

One peculiarity is the locking device for the bellows - no external straps here. Pictures attached are of the inside of bellows as removed.

The reeds on both bass and treble sides are rusted and the valves all warped and distorted - just pictures of the bass side blocks.
There is evidence of poor quality repair work, too.
The reed plates are both nailed in place and waxed.

You might just make out the water stains from my teary eyes if you look carefully :cry:

Scandelli Bellows Lock 01.jpg

Attachments

• Scandelli Treble side.jpg
    Scandelli Treble side.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • Scandelli Idendity Stamp.jpg
    Scandelli Idendity Stamp.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • Scandelli Bellows Lock 02.jpg
    Scandelli Bellows Lock 02.jpg
    857.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Scandelli Bellows Lock 03.jpg
    Scandelli Bellows Lock 03.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Scandelli Bellows Lock 04.jpg
    Scandelli Bellows Lock 04.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Scandelli Bass Reeds 01.jpg
    Scandelli Bass Reeds 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Scandelli Bass Reeds 02.jpg
    Scandelli Bass Reeds 02.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Ffingers,
Thanks for sharing!??
Almost as far gone as my old I Busilacchio "Challenge " garage sale find (since restored to good working condition, but I had professional help).?
I can't understand why so many accordion builders used such poor quality chrome for the bright work : quite disappointing, really ?. Still, car manufacturers of the same era (including VW) were no better!
Other than that, looks well built ?.
Judging by the Italian wording on the couplers. it may have been purchased in Italy and brought here by a migrant??
Is this off eBay/ Gumtree??

Last edited:
That is indeed a beat-up accordion. This one may be beyond restoration,,, but you already know that. I wonder how the bellows got so damaged on the inside. Typically there is no damage on the inside, but maybe the latch mechanism has something to do with it?

Nice project! Even has the valve mufflers.

Yes Paul, it does seem to be that the latch mechanism had been scraping inside the bellows when not fully engaged.

Dingo, the family I got them from were Polish immigrants, recruited to work the timber mills etc. in the district.

Ffingers,
the latch mechanism had been scraping inside the bellows when not fully engaged.
Seems a poor design choice ??
(But there were many such designs in the day!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back