• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Old Hohner Verdi IIIB - Reed Work

bwinterstine

Reaction score
I bought an old Hohner Verdi III as a project. The accordion itself is in decent shape. But, many of the treble reeds are weak and some make no sound; same with the bass side. I found by pinging the outer reeds (those that sound when pushing in the billows) I can mostly free up the reeds; but some are still weak. There appears to be a coating on the reed tongue and on the aluminum reed case that causes the tongue to stick. When I use a brass wire brush, much dust is created.

Should I start by removing all of the reeds from the wood reed blocks, clean off the wax, valves and glue, wire brush them and then sound them individually before re-waxing? Or, would you try to get the reeds working while still in the block?

Here is a pic of what I am starting with.

Attachments

• 20220723_150052.jpg
    20220723_150052.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 15

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This accordion has clearly seen its share of abuse. The wax is not all proper accordion wax so it should be replaced. For the reeds it's best to clean them with the wire brush, then soak them in benzine or in 100% alcohol overnight, then clean them thoroughly if not already clean... and finally use all new valves and new wax. It's a serious job, but an old Verdi III can certainly be brought back to life!

bwinterstine

Reaction score
This accordion has clearly seen its share of abuse. The wax is not all proper accordion wax so it should be replaced. For the reeds it's best to clean them with the wire brush, then soak them in benzine or in 100% alcohol overnight, then clean them thoroughly if not already clean... and finally use all new valves and new wax. It's a serious job, but an old Verdi III can certainly be brought back to life!
Sounds like a plan...thanks.

bwinterstine

Reaction score
Started with one of the treble blocks. Removed all the reeds and scraped off the old brittle wax. Measured the valves. Started cleaning reeds. Using a small jewelry cleaner. Looks like it works great. Usimg white vinegar as the solution.

Attachments

• 20220725_110029.jpg
    20220725_110029.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220725_110107.jpg
    20220725_110107.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220725_111949.jpg
    20220725_111949.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 8

bwinterstine

Reaction score
This will be my small, hobby reed tuning table. Small $10 toy accordion dismantled for the bellows and a $3 wooden cigar box. I will post a video of it in action once I put it together and check it out.

Attachments

• 20220801_103229.jpg
    20220801_103229.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 2

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You don't need a "tuning table" as you can easily use the accordion itself to measure tuning and you will then be measuring the actual frequency of the reed in the accordion instead of a very rough approximation. A tuning table is most useful to check voicing and correct functioning of reed and valves.

bwinterstine

Reaction score
You don't need a "tuning table" as you can easily use the accordion itself to measure tuning and you will then be measuring the actual frequency of the reed in the accordion instead of a very rough approximation. A tuning table is most useful to check voicing and correct functioning of reed and valves.
Agree but many of the reeds do not sound and a number have the tuning way off. I still plan on using the actual reed blocks for both initial voicing/tuning and then for any fine tuning beyond that.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Agree but many of the reeds do not sound and a number have the tuning way off. I still plan on using the actual reed blocks for both initial voicing/tuning and then for any fine tuning beyond that.
Sounds like the accordion is in really bad shape then... In that case a tuning bellow will be very useful indeed!