• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Oh dear!

Alan

Reaction score
Hi all, and thank you for letting me join
I am totally new to the accordion, and have purchased a 26 key 48 bass model to start with and think I have made a grave mistake due to the amount of treble keys.
Will this be very restrictive going forward
Thanks

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When you start looking for sheet music you may find that a lot of it assumes you have more than 26 keys. Accordions with 34 or 37 keys will get you a lot further.
But more important than the number of keys is a good fit. if you want to feel comfortable playing the accordion the instrument must be a good fit for your body.

saundersbp

Reaction score
You can make a lot of great music on a smaller accordion. I started with a tiny free bass instrument before getting a big instrument. The person pressing the keys is always more important than the instrument.

JeffJetton

Reaction score
It all depends on the sort of music you want to play, and how you intend to go about learning it.

For folk/trad, for example, you should be okay. There might be a few keys you won't be able to easily play in on the lefthand side, and you might need to adjust certain passages up or down an octave in the right hand, but overall you'll be able to go pretty far with a 48-bass model.

If you're intending to play classical or jazz, you'll bump up against a wall eventually. But for now, the main thing is to learn the basics, and it's perfectly fine for that. Heck, in the olds days people often started out with even smaller/more-limited models than that!

Then, if you want to upgrade to a 72 or 120-bass instrument down the road, you'll have some idea of what you want in an accordion, the features you need, what sort of things you like to play, etc. That will be a big help when shopping around. (And you can keep your 48-bass as a "travel" accordion to take to picnics and such. I keep one around myself for that very purpose!)

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome Alan! Jeff is right, it should be fine to learn on, and you won't make the mistake of buying an expensive one before you know what you want. Good luck with the learning process. Ask questions and let us know how it goes!

Valski

Reaction score
When you start looking for sheet music you may find that a lot of it assumes you have more than 26 keys. Accordions with 34 or 37 keys will get you a lot further.
But more important than the number of keys is a good fit. if you want to feel comfortable playing the accordion the instrument must be a good fit for your body.
That's absolutely right Paul, a small person will have difficulty playing a large instrument and a large person like me is uncomfortable playing a small accordion. I'm 192 cm (6'4") and play a Roland Fr8x. I can play for hours at a stretch and don't feel that it's too large or heavy, even standing for the entire time. I've used someone's 37/96 piano accordion and it just doesn't fit, feel or look right. That said, there should be plenty of songs that you can play to start your adventure with the accordion.

Alan

Reaction score
Thanks all, I feel a lot better now, thought I might have to re-sell it and purchase a larger one

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks all, I feel a lot better now, thought I might have to re-sell it and purchase a larger one
Good plan Alan! This will give you an opportunity to decide what you really want. For example, is weight more important than number of reeds and keys? Do you need the sound of cassotto? Is there a specific musette you want? Do you really wish you had started on cba or freebass? Maybe a silent abled Roland is good for those late nights?

Good luck!

Valski

Reaction score
Yes Allan, purchasing an accordion 🪗 is kind of like getting married, you want to get it right before you take the plunge. Yesterday I had the chance to play an instrument with a smaller 17 inch keyboard and even that minute variation makes a difference.

96Bass

Reaction score
Yes Allan, purchasing an accordion 🪗 is kind of like getting married, you want to get it right before you take the plunge. Yesterday I had the chance to play an instrument with a smaller 17 inch keyboard and even that minute variation makes a difference.
What is the keyboard size you are accustomed to playing?
My 37 key is 17 5/8 inches. I’m considering an accordion where the 37 keys are 17 1/2 inch.

Valski

Reaction score
What is the keyboard size you are accustomed to playing?
My 37 key is 17 5/8 inches. I’m considering an accordion where the 37 keys are 17 1/2 inch.
My accordion has a 19 inch keyboard which is standard for 41 keys and 120 bass. There are some smaller models with the same number of keys and bass buttons however they're smaller with a 17 or so inch keyboard. They are variously called strollers or ladies models.

jozz

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, and thank you for letting me join
I am totally new to the accordion, and have purchased a 26 key 48 bass model to start with and think I have made a grave mistake due to the amount of treble keys.
Will this be very restrictive going forward
Thanks
I have a 26/32 for amplified stage use only (bashing away in a full band setting)

this has everything to do with portability

musically, it delivers most folk tunes no problems, of course I need to play inversions and such

I switch up to 34/72 (still small and portable) for more delicate work, the extra higher octave gives more possibilities for melodic accompaniment

Pipemajor

Reaction score
It's much easier to exchange your accordion!!. Don't ask me how I know :confused:

JeffJetton

Reaction score
Yes Allan, purchasing an accordion 🪗 is kind of like getting married, you want to get it right before you take the plunge.

But if you get it wrong, you'll at least be a whole lot wiser the second time around.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe the smaller keyboard is easier?

Last edited:

Longshore

Reaction score
For folk/trad, for example, you should be okay. There might be a few keys you won't be able to easily play in on the lefthand side, and you might need to adjust certain passages up or down an octave in the right hand, but overall you'll be able to go pretty far with a 48-bass model

A case in point.
The superb Sandy Brechin

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
20211101_111648 2.jpg

When I was at Keith Anderson's, we were downstairs doing a small mod to my Morino. Meanwhile Boris Borgstrom was upstairs playing on this little thing... Keith thought that they were playing his personal $12,000US Bugari, but instead it was this little Hohner which sounded fantastic!

Last edited: