• We're having a little contest throughout February. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Novalis (Italian music publisher)

Matt Butcher

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Novalis (http://www.novalis-music.com/index.cfm ) publishes Italian popular music (sheet music and CDs). The music ranges from the greats of the waltzes, polkas and mazurkas to Italian-Latin music and straight pop. The CD I have is top quality in production - the only thing to note is the postage they charge pushes up the price a lot.

They stand out for including pdfs of the sheet music, MP3 sound files of the backing tracks (I. E. without the melody, recorded on the CD I have with studio musicians and sounding great) and midi files of the backing tracks, all on the CD. Which I thought was a brilliant idea.

What is even more surprising to me, you can download the sheet music and the MP3 backing tracks, and sometimes the midi files, for free off their website. Amazing. So if any of that is your kind of music, its a bit of a treasure trove. Personally I might just pick 10 backing tracks and by the time I retire I might have managed to get a little easy listening set together. Thanks to John Maugein and Ed Eman: they drew my attention to the Carlo Venturi memorial concert, I decided to buy the CD/DVD pack and so I found the website.

EMan

Reaction score
Matt, great post. There is a treasure trove of written music on this site; if you like the style of music. And it's downloadable in "books" rather than one sheet at a time. The books tend to be 30-60 songs each. When I found this, I couldn't believe that they were offering all this music for free. I have found some really nice material amongst the material that I have downloaded.

Ed

M

maugein96

Just wanted to resurrect this post in case anybody was interested in playing Italian Liscio music with free scores and audio tracks.

To the uninitiated, Liscio is a style of popular Italian dance themed music where accordions and organettos provide music for dancers as part of a small band, although instrumental pieces also feature.

If youve never heard of it, or simply arent interested, I would nevertheless recommend listening to the late Carlo Venturi, one of the most revered players of the genre. His instruments are C system CBA, and dont worry about the colour of his buttons or how many rows his box has. This is Italian CBA taken about as far is it can go, but Ill admit it probably wont be of much interest at all to most classical buffs.

If you cant be bothered to access the link, this is the sort of stuff that is on offer:-

M

maugein96

It seems that only a handful of us are interested in this music, and the OP has since left the forum.

I was just testing the water to see whether things had maybe changed. Just over a year ago I put some posts on regarding the relatively little I knew about Italian accordion music, but there wasn't sufficient interest to continue.

I've also stopped posting on the European music section in general for the same reason.

Morne

Reaction score
maugein96 post_id=58021 time=1525334000 user_id=607 said:
It seems that only a handful of us are interested in this music, and the OP has since left the forum.

I was just testing the water to see whether things had maybe changed. Just over a year ago I put some posts on regarding the relatively little I knew about Italian accordion music, but there wasnt sufficient interest to continue.

Ive also stopped posting on the European music section in general for the same reason.

Id say keep posting. I dont respond as much, mostly because those genres are not my interest and I dont know much about them, but I do enjoy reading the stories you often have about players from those genres.

M

maugein96

Hi Morne,

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but in my experience it seems that a handful of members still take exception to my amateur "history lesson" rambles and personal experiences, and complain that the forum should only be used to discuss topics that directly cover learning, playing, and maintaining the accordion, which is fair enough.

The fact that members tend not to respond to my posts is not an issue, as I quite often don't respond to theirs either, even although I may read them.

However, for as long as I run the risk, however slight, of being "bushwhacked" for going off topic, or getting up peoples' noses with my choice of subject, then the brakes are staying on. Most of my posts are now confined to topics created by other members, where it seems that I have less chance of falling foul of the self appointed "forum police".

Sorry for having developed that attitude, but I can assure you it was definitely not of my doing. I am fairly new to forums, and this is one of the tamer ones out there. Try telling the so called "destination experts" on Trip Advisor that you never enjoyed your holiday in their "territory" and see how you get on!

Tom

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Thanks Matt! Man, theres a ton of these sites out there and Novalis is a good one. Check out too Giuseppe Spinelli and basiaudiofisarmonica.it and http://www.img-edizioni.it

Hows the organetto going?

M

maugein96

Tom post_id=58886 time=1525563270 user_id=69 said:
Thanks Matt! Man, theres a ton of these sites out there and Novalis is a good one. Check out too Giuseppe Spinelli and basiaudiofisarmonica.it and http://www.img-edizioni.it

Hows the organetto going?

Tom,

I believe Matt and one or two others who had an interest in Italian music have left the forum.

I resurrected Matts post as it would have been a shame if anybody new to the forum with similar interests lost out.

I was making comment on the apparent lack of interest when you obviously picked up on it.

The European music board is seldom used, as you are probably aware, but I suppose it is there for a purpose and I so make use of it occasionally.